Miguel Almirón

Deuce

We are not looking a very good fit for Almiron, he would be much better in a team that has more possession and attacks more. He must be getting frustrated. I know this is stating the obvious.

He’s been here 5 minutes

Nowhere near the same kind of player. He’s someone different to what we’ve had in the past as he’s creative on the ball. I don’t think where he plays and how he plays right now is his best position for us. He’s not a number 10, but I think he can play a more creative central role behind a striker/infront of the midfield or right up alongside a striker in support. Out wide even in a frontline attack I’m not convinced we’ll see him at his best fully. His pace, work-rate and running ability on and off the ball however, suits our tactics, style, system or whatever you want to call it. I wouldn’t mind seeing him up front in a 4-4-2 or floating around in front of the midfield kind of like how Eriksen sometimes plays for Spurs or Coutinho used to for Liverpool. Nice options to be able to even consider thinking about though, if only Rafa had more dynamic players of his quality...

Exactly. Probably the same people that say that Dubravka is better than Given.

We are not looking a very good fit for Almiron, he would be much better in a team that has more possession and attacks more. He must be getting frustrated. I know this is stating the obvious.

We are playing away at Arsenal :lol:

He needs a Shelvey in the team to get the best out of him and put him in good areas.

There were times tonight when he made great runs and Ritchie and Hayden, Diame just couldn’t provide him the pass.

Towards the end I saw him make a frustrated gesture after yet another of his great runs wasn’t even spotted :thdn:

Guest godzilla

Don't like him in that out-and-out wide position tbh.

He'll get better providing the squad gets stronger.

He’s a number ten type player but is playing virtually as a left winger. Noticed a couple of times he got the ball in space and I was thinking run but he then went to pass. Think Rafa needs a rethink on how to get the best of him because him linking with Ritchie is not working. Boy do we need upgrades in the full/wing back position as a lot of our play comes through this position.

Guest godzilla

rafa knows what he's doing, man.

Got no doubt he does, but it’s not getting the best out of Almiron currently and maybe requires a change of thinking. Maybe it will be a summer plan with an upgrade on personnel if he’s still here that is.

He's somehow like the best bits of Kieron Dyer minus the small feet, mixed with the worst bits of Jermaine Jenas if Jenas had been a left winger.

:lol: I found myself wondering about their relative boot size and how I could find out—it’s not normal is it!

He needs a Shelvey in the team to get the best out of him and put him in good areas.

There were times tonight when he made great runs and Ritchie and Hayden, Diame just couldn’t provide him the pass.

Towards the end I saw him make a frustrated gesture after yet another of his great runs wasn’t even spotted :thdn:

This x 1000. I realise Hayden has been putting in decent performances recently and Diame provides steel in CM but Shelvey gives us something that no other player in the midfield ranks can.  We've got more pace and movement in the side than we've had for ages and yet the guy most likely to capitalise on it is benched. I could understand it when Longstaff was playing but not now. Sorry Rafa, I think you've got this one wrong pal.

Guest firetotheworks

He just needs time. Absolutely no point tinkering with things specifically because of him until he's settled imo.

This x 1000. I realise Hayden has been putting in decent performances recently and Diame provides steel in CM but Shelvey gives us something that no other player in the midfield ranks can.  We've got more pace and movement in the side than we've had for ages and yet the guy most likely to capitalise on it is benched. I could understand it when Longstaff was playing but not now. Sorry Rafa, I think you've got this one wrong pal.

Is correct, arguably the best 20 minutes or so we've played in ages was when Shelvey came on against Everton and was supplying perfect balls for Almiron to stretch them all over.

However, Rafa knows that but Shelvey is currently wrapped in cotton wool. He's just not fit and barely has 20 minutes in him. I guess Rafa probably has him on the bench for a possible last throw of the dice 15 minutes but it's probably going to take an operation to get him back to full match fitness.

Is correct, arguably the best 20 minutes or so we've played in ages was when Shelvey came on against Everton and was supplying perfect balls for Almiron to stretch them all over.

However, Rafa knows that but Shelvey is currently wrapped in cotton wool. He's just not fit and barely has 20 minutes in him. I guess Rafa probably has him on the bench for a possible last throw of the dice 15 minutes but it's probably going to take an operation to get him back to full match fitness.

I was under the impression Shelvey is fully fit now?

I was under the impression Shelvey is fully fit now?

Nope.