Newcastle United 2 (Two)-1 Manchester City (29/01/2019) - post match p19 onwards

Sima

I had this dream last night that Man City were beating within 30 seconds. We then equalised midway through the 2nd half with some sort of overhead kick like from Rondon. Then 10 minutes from the end we got actually got a penalty and Ritchie stepped up to take it and scored despite their keeper pretending to be injured for a few minutes to put him off. We hung on to win 2-1, there was scenes.

How da f*** was that not a foul on dubravka

Because the Man City player won the ball fairly.

Looked like Dubravka got cleaned out at the game and everyone around me was saying the same. While they were celebrating the ref was shouting over to the linesman asking what he saw and he just seemed to shrug and say he couldn't see.

Like most others on here are saying...  that result means such a lot to me!  So chuffed for the players and for Rafa, plus it is not like we didn't deserve it...  The team held its shape throughout and apart from being caught cold in the first few seconds with, what was in fact, a tremendous ball to Sterling I thought we defended really well.  I think there was no more than one shot in each half on target for Man City.

Rondon was immense again, we got to keep this guy at the club.  The difference between him, who wants to be here, and Kenedy who mostly goes through the motions is tangible.  Perez had another good game and young Longstaff is going to be some player, reminds me of a young Michael Carrick, maybe that has been said elsewhere as well...

From expecting to be reemed, having that feeling re-enforced after 24seconds to the last 15 minutes of pure tension and to the amazing scenes at the final whistle that ranks as one of the best match day experiences for me for many years.  AND...  we got a penalty, that never happens!

Thought the ref had a decent game apart from the non-yellow card for KDB (and Perez).

He definitely bottled the second yellow for De Bruyne and once he had done that he really had no choice but, to let Perez' second one go as well.  In that respect both teams were lucky and probably should have been down to 10 players each.

Makes me feel sick when they can remove a player like De Bruyne and replace him with Bernardo Silva....  meanwhile we have Callum Roberts and Jacob Murphy trotting up and down the line warming up... (nowt wrong with either player but, a hell of a gulf in ability compared to their bench options).

Thought the ref had a decent game apart from the non-yellow card for KDB (and Perez).

He definitely bottled the second yellow for De Bruyne and once he had done that he really had no choice but, to let Perez' second one go as well.  In that respect both teams were lucky and probably should have been down to 10 players each.

Makes me feel sick when they can remove a player like De Bruyne and replace him with Bernardo Silva....  meanwhile we have Callum Roberts and Jacob Murphy trotting up and down the line warming up... (nowt wrong with either player but, a hell of a gulf in ability compared to their bench options).

Had the ref done his job De Bruyne would not have been on the pitch for Perez to foul

If only every team came to SJP and attacked us. Just so obviously that our lack of creativity means we have to rely on counter attacks - teams like Man City and Spurs are perfect for us. Just need to work out how to beat Liverpool now.

It would help if the referees wouldn't give them a flying start by giving pens every time Sala trips over fresh air.

Guest Howaythetoon

If only every team came to SJP and attacked us. Just so obviously that our lack of creativity means we have to rely on counter attacks - teams like Man City and Spurs are perfect for us. Just need to work out how to beat Liverpool now.

Liverpool can mix it up in more ways than City can so are tougher to keep out. They are also much stronger defensively than City as well.

Watching how we set up and defended last night it become noticeable just how reliant Augero and Sterling in particular are on Silva’s creativity higher up the pitch and even with all their own talent - De Bruyne - included - he’s the one that they bounce off.

Stop him from playing and you stand a much better chance stopping the others too or at least slowing them down where they can be stifled.

They are all great players capable of individual brilliance that can win a game on their own of curse, but none of them are creative.

I was actually quite disappointed with Man City and saw a lot of chinks in their armour which Rafa obviously sees a mile off.