The other games today 2019/20

Greg

Guest Howaythetoon

The quality of matches/drama in the latter stages of the CL has been very high for a number of years now, it really is the elite level of football, far higher than international tournaments. Hope Azax hold out!

The way in which momentum seems to decide games these days is incredible. I'm growing weirdly nostalgic for the way sides used to be able to just shut down a tie. Now they just lose the plot and fold like a pack of cards.

The way in which momentum seems to decide games these days is incredible. I'm growing weirdly nostalgic for the way sides used to be able to just shut down a tie.

Fuck that, this is great entertainment.

The way in which momentum seems to decide games these days is incredible. I'm growing weirdly nostalgic for the way sides used to be able to just shut down a tie.

The EA Sports effect.

This feels inevitable. Atmosphere died on its arse. Llorente providing the old big lump target man which is causing all sort of shit.

Aye, it’s silence.

The quality of matches/drama in the latter stages of the CL has been very high for a number of years now, it really is the elite level of football, far higher than international tournaments. Hope Azax hold out!

I feel like the top level of club football has seen an explosion of goals recently. The top level matches are much more end to end and the number of defensive errors from the big sides has greatly increased. I'm not sure what has caused it, maybe the pressing and speed of play that have increased in recent years. I remember when sides could actually defend consistently.

Surely Ziyech would start for Holland if he hadn't opted to play for Morocco?

Absolutely. We’re badly lacking creativity

I think it's rare that this happens where a top European country loses one of their players from immigrant background and it's a genuine loss. Was he just not getting in the Dutch team at 22 or was it a personal decision to play elsewhere?

I can probably only really think of Koulibaly who would similarly start for his country of birth but took the heritage option.

I know Drogba was born in CIV, but spent many years of his childhood in France. He would have been eligible for them, but it was never really a consideration given he became a top player relatively late in his career. Austria isn't a top team, but Alaba wanted to play for Nigeria at youth level, and was turned away, allegedly because he wouldn't pay a bribe. :lol: