Mike Ashley (former owner)

Disco

?  

464 members have voted

1. 1. ?

• Takeover
    • Fakeover

Think he’d be decent for a championship club. He’d probably do things a little differently but not much. Think Derby would take surviving comfortably in the championship right now, but that’s all they’ll ever be from now on and there will be very little chance of him leaving once his claws are in. So short term it might seem a good thing for them, after the initial save it’ll be a forgettable 20 years of nothingness, poor sods. 

1 minute ago, Wolfcastle said:

I don't believe it. Always ruled out the mackem/Ashley fantasy because they don't make money - money being the only reason he was here, stayed here and was at Rangers.

£50-£70m to buy them and pay off their debts (which he’ll just assign as a loan to them).

Get them in the PL and he’ll be able to shift them for a healthy profit. Stinks of Ashley this does.

34 minutes ago, Dokko said:

Think he’d be decent for a championship club. He’d probably do things a little differently but not much. Think Derby would take surviving comfortably in the championship right now, but that’s all they’ll ever be from now on and there will be very little chance of him leaving once his claws are in. So short term it might seem a good thing for them, after the initial save it’ll be a forgettable 20 years of nothingness, poor sods. 

Yes, I've often said we'd have been better off if he hadn't "saved" us in 2007. Worst case scenario is we'd have gone down (never looked likely until Ashley) and come back up but without him for the next 13years and have been better off

Edited by Wolfcastle

"The Rams raid makes sense with Ashley’s Sports Direct headquarters just 30 miles from Pride Park in Shirebrook.

He also wants to give his Sports Direct empire a public platform and owning Derby County would provide that."

Notice the reasons he has - it's for furthering Sports Direct once the signs eventually go down here, probably for free as long as he can get away with it 

He'd probably dish out a few of those interest free loans to them, get them out of administration and keep them up. That's probably what they see and why they'd take him. Whether the future after that is what Derby fans want then fair enough to them. We fell from grace from being more or less where Spurs are now to being perennial relegation battlers. They're in their worse state for probably decades.

Trying to tell us he was good though, that can fuck right off.

5 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Yeah fair enough, I don’t get how you wouldn't have some misgivings though? Like why would a club’s fan base be so delighted to see him go, partying in the streets if he was in any way a good owner 

Going by that forum its because they're buying into those perpetuated myths. "Delusions of grandeur, were only good for a couple years in the 90s, not won anything since the 50s, good support is a myth" et cetera et cetera. It's water off a duck's arse to me now. If they want him they're welcome to the parasite, for them 4 out of 6 years being 17th in the PL is paradise at the minute and that's what they'll see.

Edited by HaydnNUFC

Just now, Chris_R said:

Ashley wants a team who will bumble around in 17th in the PL.

For Derby, that's a dream. For us, that was a nightmare. If he does for them what he did for us, they'd rightly be happy.

I don't think theyd reach the PL under Ashley.

The club would be in a perpetual state of managed decline, investing just enough to extract as much money as possible from it.

1 minute ago, Lazarus said:

I don't think theyd reach the PL under Ashley.

The club would be in a perpetual state of managed decline, investing just enough to extract as much money as possible from it.

He does that by being 17th in the PL though. That was his modus operandi with us, when we got relegated he pushed to get us back up again because he needed the brand exposure and TV money. He's not a (total) idiot. He'll likely get Derby to the PL and try to keep them there.

Of course I hope he tries and fails, and that it's a massive disaster. But he has the resources to do it if he wants and it would make sense. Much as I hate Ashley, this could be good for Derby and a massive improvement on what they're used to. The same outcome for 2 teams can be good for one and bad for the other, there's no contradiction there.

It's better than gambling for promotion and failing like the Mel Morris approach I guess. But if we weren't promoted then who knows where we'd be. Doubt we'd be back up as that plan relied on instant promotion Charnley said 

Ashley turned a club pushing for and playing in Europe ever year into relegation battlers and obliterated commercial revenue. He basically just cruised and lived off the collective TV money like a fucking parasite, getting actually relegated twice in the process. 

I'd love to know where these lunatics get the idea from that he'd take over a club destined for League One and in financial straits and shrewdly guide them to the PL. It's absolutely disjointed from reality. But they're welcome to crack on. 

I wouldnt pay too much attention to the Geordie nation, self entitled bunch of ricks that they are, even worse than that lot up the road!

Ashley would be perfect for Derby, lots of experience and would put just enough into the club to ensure a steady climb away from the mess we're in. I dont want someone to come in chucking money about and end up with us like this again. For Ashley to make money he would have to be in it for the long haul, if he makes money it will mean we're in the Prem.

ju-ju-wentz.gif