Steve Brute

LoveItIfWeBeatU

Things will only get worse as well. Bruce will benefit for a time from the work Rafa did, especially in organising the defence, but that will fade away and we'll start getting ripped apart by teams going forward.

So, Willems comes on:

Ritchie - Willems - Hayden - Longstaff

Couple minutes later:

Willems - Ritchie - Hayden - Longstaff

ASM comes on:

Willems - Ritchie - Hayden - ASM

Couple mins later:

Willems - Ritchie - Hayden - Almiron

All of those midfields happened in the space of about 10 minutes, I think. There were changes after that, too.

it was terrible but we kept the same 3-5-2 / 3-5-1-1 shape until the end. makes it all the worse how disorganised we appeared

we maintained a flat back 5 when defending right up until the final whistle

the midfield changes were..

longstaff - hayden - willems (ha)

longstaff - hayden - ritchie (haha)

almiron - hayden - ritchie (hahaha)

maximin just went wherever he wanted but was meant to be where almiron started the game, off / alongside joelinton

As I said on Twitter what stands out with that starting lineup is fear. Same as Pardew. No idea what to do so throw an extra midfielder/defender in. Go behind? Start throwing attackers in randomly with no plan hoping for fret.

I'm starting to wonder if this might go better than I initially thought.

Yeah, I thought we’d do OK today but that second half was f***ing grim.

Didn't see much pre season but you know you have to think the 3 in midfield is a strategy to utilise Shelveys passing. Nope, he's just a tactical coward who has no idea.

Hilariously if he was going to play the 3 in midfield Ki should be his number one choice but he'll never understand that.

Things will only get worse as well. Bruce will benefit for a time from the work Rafa did, especially in organising the defence, but that will fade away and we'll start getting ripped apart by teams going forward.

Must admit, I thought it would take a bit longer for all the good work by Rafa to be undone, but with an idiot in charge looks like the disintegration will be fast-tracked to much earlier.

Let’s see how Yerdas and Shadow Puppets are going to spin this for maximum WUM effect

I’m not going to spin anything.

I thought the first half was decent. Lively, although without many clear cut chances.

Second half was woeful. Absolutely baffling.

I heard the players really enjoyed it.  :razz:

I don't think anyone is struggling to explain the woeful second half :lol:

I mean the substitutions were baffling. I could quite clearly see why it went to shit.

Steve Bruce is the answer.

I know.

I still think his every word doesn’t deserve to be torn apart like, but that was shite!

I don't think anyone is struggling to explain the woeful second half :lol:

I mean the substitutions were baffling. I could quite clearly see why it went to shit.

You thought perhaps despite 20 years of shit management, he might have somehow turned everything round by coming to Newcastle?

This won't translate but the best thing to come out of today is that I showed my daughter a picture of Bruce and she couldn't comprehend his face so I said it looks like a Cauliflower. Went on for a bit and she couldn't get his name so I said Cauliflower Cheese and that's now Steve Bruce's name in our house. Wonderful.

Pardewesque. We had the shape of a kids team after one of the dads has given his 30 second team talk. As others have said, I thought it might have taken a bit time for Rafa's tight drilling to wear off but it looks like Steve's wiped the slate clean.

Joelinton and St. Max looked shite. Definitely worse footballers than Ayoze and Rondon.

You've played a blinder, Mike.