Steve Brute

LoveItIfWeBeatU

Just noticed this in a Luke Edwards Telegraph article:

Tellingly, it is the players who have responded best to Bruce’s appointment. On the club’s pre-season tour of China, winger Matt Ritchie angrily snapped at a reporter who suggested Newcastle’s new manager was not good enough to replace Benitez. “I don’t understand the unrest, I’ve got to be honest...” Ritche added last week as he called for unity.

Captain Jamaal Lascelles also publicly and enthusiastically welcomed Bruce’s appointment, as did midfielders Jonjo Shevley and Isaac Hayden.

That quartet formed the core of the team that had won promotion to the Premier League under Benitez in 2017 and finished 10th and 13th in the top flight. All four had been heavily linked with moves away, but are happy to stay under Bruce. It is a revealing shift in stance and Bruce knows how to manage them, explaining: “They are still the nucleus of the squad. They deserve big credit, and that’s why I want to reward them [with new contracts.]

Little wonder the players are saying positive things. Another trick straight out of the Ashley playbook (didn't Jamaal only get a new contract last season, when he came out with the "Mike's a nice guy" speech).

said the same thing in a interview on nufc tv and didnt seem to be joking

I watched that too. He was definitely fucking joking man. Smiling the whole time he says it. It’s just a bit of shit banter with the interviewer. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Overreactions are one of the foundations of this forum though.

Horseshit

Perfect example.

:anguish:

That was not an overreaction I assure you. Generalising the whole forum like that ffs then trying to take the high ground. Odd.

Soz for being too emotional.

One day I’ll learn to be a real man like Steve Bruce of England and his supporters who adore himself passport, his race and his willingness to support a man who thinks cancer victims should lose their jobs because they are parasite vermin.

Guest Yerdas El Savon

He is right, though.

You’re just as bad

For what? For having a different view than the popular norm?

Shadow Puppets isn't a WUM. He's actually in the majority.

It's becoming increasingly apparent that the few dozen regular posters on this forum aren't reflective of the wider fanbase. I don't know why that is, because, to me, the need to stop investing in this imposter of a football club is beyond question. But I think it is the case. I think, if we surveyed the global fanbase, the view I hold would be in the absolute minority. I suppose, ultimately, for most people, the 90 minutes itself trumps everything else.

I find it really sad and frustrating that there isn't more desire to take a stand against what has basically been 12 years of the club being abused by its most influential person. But it just isn't there and there won't be - unless about seven or eight of those 90 minuteses, in a row, are awful.

Guest Yerdas El Savon

He is right, though.

You’re just as bad

For what? For having a different view than the popular norm?

No that's perfectly fine, it's the answers that are goading for a reaction.

I’ll change my ways  :aww: :thup:

Sadly I think you’re right Yorkie. I see people posting on Facebook about “it’s my club, no one’s going to stop me going. Stop the negativity with Bruce, he needs a chance to prove himself.” The club is just rotting away and there’s no hope until Ashley goes

It's becoming increasingly apparent that the few dozen regular posters on this forum aren't reflective of the wider fanbase. I don't know why that is, because, to me, the need to stop investing in this imposter of a football club is beyond question. But I think it is the case. I think, if we surveyed the global fanbase, the view I hold would be in the absolute minority. I suppose, ultimately, for most people, the 90 minutes itself trumps everything else.

I find it really sad and frustrating that there isn't more desire to take a stand against what has basically been 12 years of the club being abused by its most influential person.

Don’t get frustrated it is an incremental process. The boycott is going to have to take years to get everyone on side.

Best thing boycotters can do is leave the attendees alone and instead show how it is possible to enjoy Saturdays without going to a game

Sadly I think you’re right Yorkie. I see people posting on Facebook about “it’s my club, no one’s going to stop me going. Stop the negativity with Bruce, he needs a chance to prove himself.” The club is just rotting away and there’s no hope until Ashley goes

Anybody who reads the papers, and watches Sky/BT, won't know te problems at the club, because the reporting, in general, always takes Ashley's side.

Thing is those words are meaningless. It’s not our club in any tangible way other than atmosphere and that being good in front of SD signs serves Ashley. I know it’s all the hope and excitement of a new season but it’ll go south it always does - because it’s ashleys monster. If that’s negative so be it - I’m right

Thing is those words are meaningless. It’s not our club in any tangible way other than atmosphere and that being good in front of SD signs serves Ashley. I know it’s all the hope and excitement of a new season but it’ll go south it always does - because it’s ashleys monster. If that’s negative so be it - I’m right

100%

Bonkers or mercurial: Premier League managers by type

Old School British

All managers used to be like this. A doughty old pro who had spent time in the lower leagues (invariably at Doncaster) and since found himself in charge of some cocky young pups.

See Steve Bruce, Dean Smith, Chris Wilder, Sean Dyche

New School British

They’re up to date with the latest trends, both tactically and in terms of rest and preparation. They’re suspicious of British talent but have contacts from Estonia to Estoril and when you say ‘old school’, they swoon and say ‘ah, Rinus Michels’.

See Graham Potter, Frank Lampard, Brendan Rodgers

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/premier-league-season-preview-predictions-managers-and-the-stats-nm0bfxq72

I find it really sad and frustrating that there isn't more desire to take a stand against what has basically been 12 years of the club being abused by its most influential person.

Don’t get frustrated it is an incremental process. The boycott is going to have to take years to get everyone on side.

Best thing boycotters can do is leave the attendees alone and instead show how it is possible to enjoy Saturdays without going to a game

I doubt there was ever any likelihood of there being a boycott-based reaction to Rafa leaving, as people are evidently too easily swayed by the optimism of a new season. But I do wonder if the reaction would have been different had he gone to Leicester or Everton, rather than China. Ashley and Bishop must have thought that was manna from fucking heaven; an absolute diamond of a distraction for them to jump all over and amplify. The PR narrative was delivered to them on a silver platter when he went there. Unreal stroke of luck.

The truth is that, of course, it doesn't make a jot of difference where he fucking ended up. Leicester, China, Liverpool, a pundit sofa, the media, a restaurant, paper round - it doesn't fucking matter. He wasn't convinced to stay, and that is the only point that should have been carried forward.

The only way a boycott will happen is if we lose loads of games. The squad has enough talent for us to keep our heads above water so I'm resigned to it never happening.

I think people are jumping the gun a bit. It seemed to me like a lot of people packed their season tickets in and plenty had had enough once Rafa left. I doubt many of those are the ones now going with this annoying superfan message on social media so IMO there's still a silent and significant chunk of the fan base who have walked away.

I honestly think we're seeing the beginning of the end in terms of capacity crowds, how quickly it will dwindle will naturally depend on results and performances, and also how many people step in to take the seats that have been left behind. We'll see but honestly I think some people on here are getting disproportionately disheartened by some weird characters on Twitter when in fact the penny dropped for far more this summer than ever before during Ashley's ownership.

I think people are jumping the gun a bit. It seemed to me like a lot of people packed their season tickets in and plenty had had enough once Rafa left. I doubt many of those are the ones now going with this annoying superfan message on social media so IMO there's still a silent and significant chunk of the fan base who have walked away.

I honestly think we're seeing the beginning of the end in terms of capacity crowds, how quickly it will dwindle will naturally depend on results and performances, and also how many people step in to take the seats that have been left behind. We'll see but honestly I think some people on here are getting disproportionately disheartened by some weird characters on Twitter when in fact the penny dropped for far more this summer than ever before during Ashley's ownership.

I agree. The club has made an incredible effort to highlight the existence of the superfan, like Seymour (anybody seen him , recently?) You only need a small group of people to repeat shit constantly to make an opinion appear widespread.

Think I hate him more than Pardew.

Nah, it'll never get that bad imo.

IIRC you’re not from up here but my reasons are entirely based him on being a local bloke just like he appropriates himself being my equivalent.

I hated Pardew, as much as anyone, absolutely fucking despised him but he had no investment in the club or city, he was getting paid to do a job way above his station and was forever grateful. There was no alleged emotional attach,ent it makes it way easier and whilst I don’t agree it’s understandable he was happy to go along with it, particularly given his narcissism.

Bruce is doing the same role but he proclaims to be a fan, a man of the city, a man of the region. He’s working for a bloke and praising him for running all three into the ground, it’s absolutely shameless. He knows this and he knows what he’s doing, we’ve seen all quotes before. He has as much respect for himself as I have for him. A patsy hungry for money and adoration. An embarrassment. But more importantly an embarrassment to my club, my city, my region that’s he claims to be part of.

(And yes I know he’s a symptom not the main problem)

God, I hate was shit show, this club, has become. It kills me.

Aye that's something I'll not understand properly to be fair  O0

I'm going more on how Pardew made me feel, i wanted us to lose because of him, the blaming of players like Hatem, blaming fans and while as you said I'm not from Newcastle, slating off the area as not as upper class as Southampton. The excuses, the Notting Hill Carnival ffs :lol:  science, spies, the list goes on as we all know.

Up to this point i can only go on what's gone before, Bruce isn't for me anywhere near the hatred levels Pardew had me at, but as you said the local connection gives you a much better take on it from that point of view.

I hated Paedew even before he landed the Newcastle job, he just came across as a monumental cunt. That assessment proved pretty accurate as it turned out.

I don't hate Bruce anywhere near as much at this time, but I have a feeling it's going to get there. He hasn't said one word yet that would make me think, "hmmm....perhaps there's more to this guy under the surface than I thought"

He's just coming across as a thick former footballer happy to get a prime job. Mike could just as well have given the job to Jamie Redknapp.

Bonkers or mercurial: Premier League managers by type

Old School British

All managers used to be like this. A doughty old pro who had spent time in the lower leagues (invariably at Doncaster) and since found himself in charge of some cocky young pups.

See Steve Bruce, Dean Smith, Chris Wilder, Sean Dyche

New School British

They’re up to date with the latest trends, both tactically and in terms of rest and preparation. They’re suspicious of British talent but have contacts from Estonia to Estoril and when you say ‘old school’, they swoon and say ‘ah, Rinus Michels’.

See Graham Potter, Frank Lampard, Brendan Rodgers

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/premier-league-season-preview-predictions-managers-and-the-stats-nm0bfxq72

Whey that’s a load of shite.