Steve Brute

LoveItIfWeBeatU

Nobody shows him up better than Potter. Brighton spend less money and have had their manager in place for the exact same amount of time. There is a clear and obvious difference: They've worked on their idea on how to play whereas we are at best organised. They show us up every time. It will not matter how many players Bruce is given, he'll never, ever come to the conclusion that football teams can be coached, not only trained. Potter is good at it too, which makes it even more telling.

Yeah, well put. Brighton and ourselves came up together; but they're a better team and a significantly better club than us.

Nobody shows him up better than Potter. Brighton spend less money and have had their manager in place for the exact same amount of time. There is a clear and obvious difference: They've worked on their idea on how to play whereas we are at best organised. They show us up every time. It will not matter how many players Bruce is given, he'll never, ever come to the conclusion that football teams can be coached, not only trained. Potter is good at it too, which makes it even more telling.

Sums it up perfectly

Problem is you can’t become a hoof team one week and a passing team the next. We just don’t know how to play with the ball.

Weird how Brighton managed it when Potter took over.

Eh?

Went from being a pretty functional and boring team to a passing one by appointing a manager who can coach passing football. I didn't think I'd have to spell it out tbh.

Ah right. But what I was saying was that Bruce can never have two different styles for different opponents.

Don't think he's even got one style tbh. Just pick a big striker and get the ball in the air. Haven't seen much else since he's been here, at least not by design.

Problem is you can’t become a hoof team one week and a passing team the next. We just don’t know how to play with the ball.

Irony of course being that the system Brighton play is similar to the one Bruce inherited (3-4-3, two ball playing defenders, two sitting midfielders, two wing-backs and three forwards), that was preventing Bruce from playing the nice, attractive, attacking football he wants us to play.

I said in the match thread, he said he played that system last week to match West Ham’s physical approach. This week we played a technical team whose best player was a nippy right wing-back. Even if we’d been shite, if he’d countered that with Almiron in place of Carroll from the start, his pace and work rate might have helped to nullify that. The commentator seemed surprised when in the second-half there was a moment Almiron did exactly that.

I know some people don’t like him but I reckon Eddie Howe would get a tune out of this squad. I don’t think he’d be unrealistic for a Mike Ashley Newcastle either given he’d have two of his best players from Bournemouth here to work with.

Irony of course being that the system Brighton play is similar to the one Bruce inherited (3-4-3, two ball playing defenders, two sitting midfielders, two wing-backs and three forwards), that was preventing Bruce from playing the nice, attractive, attacking football he wants us to play.

I said in the match thread, he said he played that system last week to match West Ham’s physical approach. This week we played a technical team whose best player was a nippy right wing-back. Even if we’d been shite, if he’d countered that with Almiron in place of Carroll from the start, his pace and work rate might have helped to nullify that. The commentator seemed surprised when in the second-half there was a moment Almiron did exactly that.

I know some people don’t like him but I reckon Eddie Howe would get a tune out of this squad. I don’t think he’d be unrealistic for a Mike Ashley Newcastle either given he’d have two of his best players from Bournemouth here to work with.

Spoken like the squad isn't chock full of talented players that shouldn't even dream of having its arse handed to it,particularly at home to run-of-the-mill mid-table outfits.

After all his shite about wanting to get on the front foot, he's still brought players in much more suited to the counter game.

Keep the team compact, get ASM, Fraser, and Almiron buzzing about behind Wilson, and hope for the best. Anybody sane can see Andy Carroll just isn't made to start games in 2020 - he's an impact sub at most.