Steve Brute

LoveItIfWeBeatU

Anyone else sick of hearing "if Rafa" blah blah.  I can't be the only one who didn't really enjoy his negative sideways style football.  Call me dinosaur old school (or considerably worse probably), but I like football played on the front foot, even if that does involve some high balls with support players feeding off them.

Sick of comparisons with Rafa, I will agree with you on that. Still not a fan of dinosaur football, preferred it when Keegan was here and we passed the ball all over the pitch.

Some real embarrassing stuff in here, Bruce had nowt to do with the Joelinton transfer , Ashley has spent money this preseason as it’s absolutely vital we stay up for any sale and he’s had a bit of a windfall with the deposit.

Bruce identified where we needed players; not rocket science but he managed to get them to come here. We were the far better side yesterday.

I’m no Bruce lover, said so many times, the wheels tend to fall off after a couple of seasons but knocking him at the moment is nonsense. My biggest gripe with Bruce has always been his feigned affinity to Newcastle and that accent. He’s never been at a bigger club than Newcastle (fair to say) so let nature take its course.

For a club that had Kinnear, licky lips, McLaren and the utterly detestable King, I’d take Bruce right now.

And was accountable to it for that exact reason. Grateful, accepting, enabling, just like the King you so detest.

None of that has anything to do with this summer's transfers or last night, of course. If Wilson, Hendrick, Lewis and Fraser all work out - fair play. Wish better managers had had that level of backing and carte blanche. Not even Pardew was allowed to pick his own players, certainly not to this percentage.

Still not even sure how many of these signings are down to Bruce tbh, weren't Fraser and Wilson supposed to be identified by the Staveley led consortium?

In any case, if he wanted them then fair play, they look like good team lads, and that makes a pleasant change from the usual flash Harrys who flatter to deceive.

Still not even sure how many of these signings are down to Bruce tbh, weren't Fraser and Wilson supposed to be identified by the Staveley led consortium?

They were supposedly on their list. Not at the top, but on the list.

I think we can safely say that these are Bruce's picks and that he had a good deal to do with the moves.

In any case, if he wanted them then fair play, they look like good team lads, and that makes a pleasant change from the usual flash Harrys who flatter to deceive.

Yeah caulkin said they were on the buyers list but he also said they were categorically Bruce’s picks

Anyone else sick of hearing "if Rafa" blah blah.  I can't be the only one who didn't really enjoy his negative sideways style football.  Call me dinosaur old school (or considerably worse probably), but I like football played on the front foot, even if that does involve some high balls with support players feeding off them.

Nope. Sick of hearing this absolute bobbins though.

Rafa played the style of football that suited the players he was allowed to have. If he’d been given the money you’d have seen a different style of football.

They were supposedly on their list. Not at the top, but on the list.

I think we can safely say that these are Bruce's picks and that he had a good deal to do with the moves.

Just shows the value of trusting a manager to bring in players to implement his methods. Bruce is lucky in that sense, I don't think anybody since Allardyce has had that luxury under Ashley.

If you thought last season was front foot  football then go to Specsavers.

Well maybe you should go also, neesy... because you couldn't see driving the other night... because you don't even wear your glasses on TV in case you get slagged off. So you just stick to Specsavers and TorchyTBB will do the game.

:lol:

Yeah, I think you're right, I don't think we'd be ever had a manager (whilst in the PL) under Ashley who's been given this much freedom to choose who he wants to sign. I can remember, before things went irreparably minging, arguing that Pardew might as well be allowed to choose his own players if we were gonna stick with him; because it was pointless giving him players he didn't know how to use, regardless of how talented they might be.

I think it's fair enough to argue that Rafa did a good job with the quality of players at his disposal, and that his managerial skills were very restricted by the transfer budget that we were operating with.

What gets a bit irritating is the retrospective idea that the football he produced was in any way entertaining, even in the latter stages.

I think it's fair enough to argue that Rafa did a good job with the quality of players at his disposal, and that his managerial skills were very restricted by the transfer budget that we were operating with.

What gets a bit irritating is the retrospective idea that the football he produced was in any way entertaining, even in the latter stages.

The football in second half of both Prem seasons was pretty good, like. Far, far better than anything served up last season.

That's a point which is rarely made, tbh. The point more frequently made is simply a rebuttal to claims that the football was fundamentally negative. In certain games it was, certainly, but on the whole we were balanced, functional, strong at the back and played some good stuff a fair amount of the time, including going forward. 100 goals in the Championship season and a variety of strong performances which were pleasant on the eye thereafter.

Well maybe you should go also, neesy... because you couldn't see driving the other night... because you don't even wear your glasses on TV in case you get slagged off. So you just stick to Specsavers and TorchyTBB will do the game.

Thanks for the advice, will take it.  :thup:

Don't think you got the reference :lol:

Thanks for the advice, will take it.  :thup:

:lol: Whoosh

Barely posted on here but enjoy reading the posts. I find the differing views on Rafa and Bruce across the fan base groups interesting.

Personally I loved Rafa. A very smart tactician who engaged superbly with the fans. Definitely did a fine job under limited resources and I agree with anyone who says he was poorly backed. I also don’t think he’s a miracle worker though and hasn’t been ‘world class’ for years (you’d think he’d be doing better in China if so). Finishing mid-table after promotion isn’t miraculous given how poor most of the league is and at times we were very poor at home. If things didn’t go well he’d always have the lack of investment defence that Bruce doesn’t get, but he still had a better squad. I mean Joelinton wasn’t an upgrade on Rondon and Perez, £40m or not. Obviously some more freedom would have helped, but personally we weren’t astonishing in the Championship - should have walked that league imo. I think he still has limitations even with stronger players basically.

As with Bruce, well I’m not a fan like everyone else here but why do people get annoyed about him receiving praise when things go well? That’s how it works with managers - the team does well and they get praised generally. For all his tactical limitations and at times horrendous football, the players are playing for him so fair play. It may not work long-term but I think he’s getting some things right.

Also why all the hatred? Sure if the Saudis came in we’d have him replaced, but why should he ‘f**k off’ as opposed to be replaced? He hasn’t done anything unpleasant here. Is it because he’s a yes man? Backed better than Rafa? Left a team none of us care about because they wanted more compensation? All true but I can’t say they bother me about him - I’m just really indifferent to him.

Some real embarrassing stuff in here, Bruce had nowt to do with the Joelinton transfer , Ashley has spent money this preseason as it’s absolutely vital we stay up for any sale and he’s had a bit of a windfall with the deposit.

Bruce identified where we needed players; not rocket science but he managed to get them to come here. We were the far better side yesterday.

I’m no Bruce lover, said so many times, the wheels tend to fall off after a couple of seasons but knocking him at the moment is nonsense. My biggest gripe with Bruce has always been his feigned affinity to Newcastle and that accent. He’s never been at a bigger club than Newcastle (fair to say) so let nature take its course.

For a club that had Kinnear, licky lips, McLaren and the utterly detestable King, I’d take Bruce right now.

And was accountable to it for that exact reason. Grateful, accepting, enabling, just like the King you do detest

How is Bruce accountable to the Joelinton transfer? The deal was done, Bruce came in 2 weeks or so the season started. Was Bruce to turn down the job because he had no say in it? Nonsense.

And was accountable to it for that exact reason. Grateful, accepting, enabling, just like the King you do detest

How is Bruce accountable to the Joelinton transfer? The deal was done, Bruce came in 2 weeks or so the season started. Was Bruce to turn down the job because he had no say in it? Nonsense.

He left the receipt in his pants pocket when he put them in the wash.

Barely posted on here but enjoy reading the posts. I find the differing views on Rafa and Bruce across the fan base groups interesting.

Personally I loved Rafa. A very smart tactician who engaged superbly with the fans. Definitely did a fine job under limited resources and I agree with anyone who says he was poorly backed. I also don’t think he’s a miracle worker though and hasn’t been ‘world class’ for years (you’d think he’d be doing better in China if so). Finishing mid-table after promotion isn’t miraculous given how poor most of the league is and at times we were very poor at home. If things didn’t go well he’d always have the lack of investment defence that Bruce doesn’t get, but he still had a better squad. I mean Joelinton wasn’t an upgrade on Rondon and Perez, £40m or not. Obviously some more freedom would have helped, but personally we weren’t astonishing in the Championship - should have walked that league imo. I think he still has limitations even with stronger players basically.

As with Bruce, well I’m not a fan like everyone else here but why do people get annoyed about him receiving praise when things go well? That’s how it works with managers - the team does well and they get praised generally. For all his tactical limitations and at times horrendous football, the players are playing for him so fair play. It may not work long-term but I think he’s getting some things right.

Also why all the hatred? Sure if the Saudis came in we’d have him replaced, but why should he ‘f**k off’ as opposed to be replaced? He hasn’t done anything unpleasant here. Is it because he’s a yes man? Backed better than Rafa? Left a team none of us care about because they wanted more compensation? All true but I can’t say they bother me about him - I’m just really indifferent to him.

Interesting post. Some good points made.

Great post, however the Bruce comments I personally feel are wrong.  Bruce continually mentioned Rafa either directly or indirectly and put him down at every opportunity.  "This team only know how to play one way".  I mean come on, that comment alone was slanderous.  Bruce couldn't lace Rafa's boots and anyone who thinks otherwise just don't comprehend football and the tactics involved.

If you don’t know by now or can’t see it, you never will.

So, it’s pointless answering you.

As Lao Tzu said ‘The water in the well cannot contemplate the ocean’

Great post, however the Bruce comments I personally feel are wrong.  Bruce continually mentioned Rafa either directly or indirectly and put him down at every opportunity.  "This team only know how to play one way".  I mean come on, that comment alone was slanderous.  Bruce couldn't lace Rafa's boots and anyone who thinks otherwise just don't comprehend football and the tactics involved.

Yeah I agree Bruce couldn’t lace Rafa’s boots and good points on the comments, but I don’t think he was being slanderous personally; at least not consciously making digs. He’s not the smartest with how he presents himself in the media, but to me that reads more like a poor excuse for himself than a dig at Rafa, hence why he was prepared to adopt his formation for a while.

If you don’t know by now or can’t see it, you never will.

So, it’s pointless answering you.

As Lao Tzu said ‘The water in the well cannot contemplate the ocean’

Not sure what you’re trying to say mate? See what? I’m perfectly open to being proven wrong but either why I’m interested in seeing why people’s views differ as I only know so much in fairness. However, I feel I made some fair points... if they’re wrong I’m happy to hear why.