Joelinton

Stifler

4 hours ago, KaKa said:

Loved him getting dragged off at half time.

He's getting a bit too into playing the heel.

Needs to focus more on what he's doing on the pitch and stop going back and forth with the ref and opposition all the time. It's affecting his performances.

Actually started well today before getting wound up and then failing to pieces.

Yeah thought he was covering well defensively early doors. Maybe cus Bruno was abit off it physically today and he needed to. But yeah you can see the difference Willock makes to the side when he plays instead.  

I think Joelinton would be better served as a later substitute if we need to see out a game and just need him to be a destroyer breaking up play and doubling up on the wings etc that we know he's so good at. 

Obviously that all depends on Willock staying fit. 

Wish he’d stop clumsily barging into players then crying to the ref after a fouls given. He’s always lacked that finesse at times and has been pushed onto a pedestal of seemingly undroppable. His resurgence has been great and he’s a good player to have but he is limited and should be shown he has to fight for his starting place.

I think the problem, as someone else pointed out, is that him and Longstaff together means that we lack creativity in the midfield. Both Tonali and Willock are far ahead on that part. Feels like some of our attacking play is poor when he's playing alongside Longstaff. I know we used to score lots of goals with both of them starting in midfield (without Willock), but I also think that was largely due to players like Trippier, Isak and Gordon being so inform at the time.

Edited by Erikse

If not for him we would have had 8 points so far this season. Vital to the way play without the ball too. One of the first names on the team sheet for me.

Edit: 6 points actually, not 8.

Edited by Conjo

I thought he played well today. He does take an extra second in decision making but I can understand that given the positional change. I dunno, I just can’t hate the guy, I even thought his yellow card tackle was justified as he was showing a bit of fight and aggression. 

Edited by Astroblack

51 minutes ago, Displayname said:

The yellow card might have been the deciding factor in taking him off, really limits his play.

Agree, he was bossing the midfield up until they scored. Good tactical change from Eddie. 

8 hours ago, Mikky said:

Scored the winner vs Southampton - set up winner vs Spurs (in 4 matches)

yea of coz he can still contribute - or else he won’t have any sales value.

just look at how and when Real Madrid get rid of Casemiro.

First 10 minutes or so. I thought we were on for another big Joelinton display. Kept winning it back, popping up in the right place to intercept passes, box to box. 

Then he dropped off. Caught on the ball, not offering much with his passing. Then he had his customary head loss after disagreeing with the ref. Before getting more annoyed and then finally the needless yellow. 

I love his passion and he mostly channels his aggression well. But I was saying some mates yesterday. You can watch him building up and getting more annoyed over a few fouls or incidents. He then feels like a walking yellow and possibly worse after that. 

Not sure it is something you can sort and you wouldn’t want to take that drive and aggression away. But it is a hinderance at times. Along with some of his limitations on the ball. 

I think him being asked to play intrinsic passes is showing his lack of game, but he’s still got a strong place. Think in games where we are expected to have most of the ball, Willock / Bruno / Tonali is the midfield for me. Games where we’re expecting it to be even and face pressure / pace on transition, Bruno / Joe / Tonali. 

Would like to see Joe play in that instance the disciplined CDM, breaking play up and just rolling it off simply to the nearest man, leave Bruno the position higher to take ball on half turn and damage further forward without compromising lack of protection. 

Again, not talking about his performances - he's mostly been fine. Talking about kicking the psr can further down the road. The decision will come where a big name goes, I'd rather it was Joe whilst he still has good sellable value rather than someone who's trajectory is much higher.

Its an uneasy conversation to have but we absolutely will sell a big name within the next 2 years.

40 minutes ago, Menace said:

Again, not talking about his performances - he's mostly been fine. Talking about kicking the psr can further down the road. The decision will come where a big name goes, I'd rather it was Joe whilst he still has good sellable value rather than someone who's trajectory is much higher.

Its an uneasy conversation to have but we absolutely will sell a big name within the next 2 years.

It's the reality of the situation, as you say.

Apart from the fouls and the booking he got, think he won us possesion on numerous occasions early on. I just don't see anyone else who can play that bulldozer way he does. I actually said it yesterday at half time that our players were weak as piss on the ball, but big Joe would probably be last on that list.

Edited by nufcjb

I don't want Joelinton sold, and if it wasn't for PSR it's not a discussion we'd ever be having.

But I think at full strength he doesn't make the starting 11 more often than not. Superb bench option though, and there'll be games we want to play him.

So I can see the argument in a PSR world why 40m+ for him would be appealing.

Scored the winner against Southampton and pretty much created the winner against Spurs  , one bad half dosnt mean he's not one of our most important players all of a sudden, He has played far better than Bruno this season as well who seems to be immune to any form of criticism compared to other players .

54 minutes ago, Menace said:

The sooner we get used to this idea the better we will be served long term. It's not that any of them are bad players, but they all have a peak value which starts to depreciate over time. It's fine if you are winning stuff already or qualifying for CL, but when you don't, then that's another year and less money to play with to get you where you want to be.

1 hour ago, Menace said:

Yep, we could miss out on his window like he did with Miggy.

The thing about Joelinton is it just doesn’t feel like any other team would want him. We paid £40 mil and we’re not going to see anything close to that. He won’t be used as effectively anywhere else but here. Basically, he’s worth more to us than any other team. 

1 hour ago, Astroblack said:

The thing about Joelinton is it just doesn’t feel like any other team would want him. We paid £40 mil and we’re not going to see anything close to that. He won’t be used as effectively anywhere else but here. Basically, he’s worth more to us than any other team. 

I think most teams would want an in-form Joelinton . His issue right now is consistency and fitness. When inform hes a beast. 

13 minutes ago, aussiemag said:

I think most teams would want an in-form Joelinton . His issue right now is consistency and fitness. When inform hes a beast. 

The likes of Villa and West Ham would probably be interested unless our pricing is too high, but I feel like he lacks the quality on the ball required to play for top teams. He has never really been effective against low blocks for instance.

Edited by Erikse