Joelinton

Stifler

I get there are probably questions to be asked about the injuries and the rehab  etc but why does the Murphy one keep getting mentioned as a mistake 

As Howe explained at the time, if Murphy was operated on immediately the recovery time was estimated at 3 months, by not operating it made no difference to the recovery time, it was still 3 months 

But by not operating there was a chance we could have gotten some games out of him, it's something the medical staff and Murphy were fine to try. Obviously we didn't get much out of him but if they operated immediately he still wouldn't have been playing all these games 

2 hours ago, Beren said:

Tbf you don't need to have medical knowledge to know medical advice isn't being followed.

Apparently, this is quite intrinsic to Howe philosophy and elements of this are reasonably self-evident from what you see on the pitch, how the team presses, how it manages games, how it doesn't rotate players and what we even saw "backstage" in the Amazon doc.

But beneath the surface Howe hasn't historically bought players who might be overworked. If a player has a niggle, he will test them at 125% of their max in preseason. If a sub comes on for 5 minutes and doesn't demonstrate exemplary fitness, they don't get another opportunity (which spectacularly backfired wth the injury crisis). At least one person at the club was aghast but the sports science team are all Howe-appointed "max out" bros and refuted medical challenge (although apparently they are finally beginning to relent with this latest Joelinton issue - as he was the latest example of a player previously flagged at being at risk getting injured, they are now re-examining the return to play protocol). But this is not the first instance of this, of course, most prominently with Jacob Murphy when no one was listened to by management and predictably lasted all of 5 minutes.

It's not terminal or anything but as I have more subtly implied previously, management needs to evolve off the pitch as well as on it over the summer. Your primary (only?) strategy to compete can't just be outworking opponents across three/four competitions - it's unsustainable. Particularly with questionable quality in even the first XI - which is just a reality of FFP we need to live with, and address over time.

I see you’ve got some legit info. Cheers. Thanks for that. Interesting. Scary too. 

2 hours ago, Beren said:

Tbf you don't need to have medical knowledge to know medical advice isn't being followed.

Apparently, this is quite intrinsic to Howe philosophy and elements of this are reasonably self-evident from what you see on the pitch, how the team presses, how it manages games, how it doesn't rotate players and what we even saw "backstage" in the Amazon doc.

But beneath the surface Howe hasn't historically bought players who might be overworked. If a player has a niggle, he will test them at 125% of their max in preseason. If a sub comes on for 5 minutes and doesn't demonstrate exemplary fitness, they don't get another opportunity (which spectacularly backfired wth the injury crisis). At least one person at the club was aghast but the sports science team are all Howe-appointed "max out" bros and refuted medical challenge (although apparently they are finally beginning to relent with this latest Joelinton issue - as he was the latest example of a player previously flagged at being at risk getting injured, they are now re-examining the return to play protocol). But this is not the first instance of this, of course, most prominently with Jacob Murphy when no one was listened to by management and predictably lasted all of 5 minutes.

It's not terminal or anything but as I have more subtly implied previously, management needs to evolve off the pitch as well as on it over the summer. Your primary (only?) strategy to compete can't just be outworking opponents across three/four competitions - it's unsustainable. Particularly with questionable quality in even the first XI - which is just a reality of FFP we need to live with, and address over time.

Don't like reading it but it rings uncomfortably true.

3 hours ago, Beren said:

Howe needs to find another string to his bow this summer, or i fear next season will be his last. Both him and his medical team have been found badly wanting this season it’s looked like amateur hour.

8 hours ago, Beren said:

You sure this is true? To my knowledge, only one of our sports scientists has ever worked with Howe before. We've got a few that were hired before he arrived, iirc.

15 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

You sure this is true? To my knowledge, only one of our sports scientists has ever worked with Howe before. We've got a few that were hired before he arrived, iirc.

My cousins son is the head of first team fitness and conditioning and he's been at the club before Howe started. He was at Southampton and came here under Bruce, albeit when he was quite young

3 hours ago, Pablo123 said:

My cousins son is the head of first team fitness and conditioning and he's been at the club before Howe started. He was at Southampton and came here under Bruce, albeit when he was quite young

is it Nick?

2 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Hope him and his family are ok.

Mind you, they’d need to be armed.  I wouldn’t want to break into that man’s house and see him coming down the stairs to investigate

Didn't Duncan Ferguson kick the shit out of a burglar once? :lol:

1 hour ago, Isaksbigrightfoot said:

Terrible news if true. Horrible news.

I do wonder why these footballers don’t have state of the art intruder systems though.

He got an alert on his phone as they broke in and the bizzies were there straight away, nowt much else he could do really 

When I was a kid a pal lived in a massive house in Ponteland and they had a pack of alsation guard dogs for security, they lived in kennels and were radge as fuck. Working dogs, not pets

If the family weren’t home the dogs would be let out to roam the grounds looking for people to chin 

Not state of the art, but very effective 

Edited by bobbydazzla