Joelinton

Stifler

16 minutes ago, Ronson333 said:

Almost a bigger concern is who the hell decided to give Targett £100k a week…

I still think that's bollocks too. That source looks like it plucks numbers out of thin air. Probably on £70-80k as well. 

39 minutes ago, Ronson333 said:

Almost a bigger concern is who the hell decided to give Targett £100k a week…

Why is it a concern?  In that period of time we were absolutely desperate for players.

That same transfer window we also triggered the release clause of Chris Wood.  

It got us out of the immediate shit. 

21 minutes ago, dcmk said:

Why is it a concern?  In that period of time we were absolutely desperate for players.

No, wrong window. His permanent salary would've been set in the summer after our desperation window.

1 hour ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I still think that's bollocks too. That source looks like it plucks numbers out of thin air. Probably on £70-80k as well. 

I highly doubt he makes that much either. 

2 hours ago, dcmk said:

Because we’re still stuck with him on £100k (if true) and he’s not playing?

Edited by Ronson333

This season has shown just how pivotal this bloke is to our midfield. If he’s asking for c£125k a week then that’s pretty reasonable for a first choice midfielder.

2 hours ago, NSG said:

This season has shown just how pivotal this bloke is to our midfield. If he’s asking for c£125k a week then that’s pretty reasonable for a first choice midfielder.

Would be really cheap IMO considering he got £80-85k from Ashley's NUFC and is so much better now even without taking into account how much players of his quality get in other top 7-8 teams. I would be fine to doubling his wages close to what Bruno gets as it will be the biggest contract of his career, Bruno will get another bigger deal (hopefully from us) due to being younger and more talented.

5 hours ago, Menace said:

£40K a week when we signed him for close to £40M? I don't buy it.

Was anyone ever able to validate the 40m figure (either in the accounts or sources)? To me it always seemed made up BS and on brand for Fatty to inflate how much we were spending.

IIRC they did the same thing with Almiron when they screamed to the world that they had finally broken the Owen record and it came out in the wash that it was still below that figure (may be misremembering however).

Yeah, I've never trusted that figure and don't think it has ever been confirmed. Just made no sense unless it was some weird favour to an agent to maybe hide something shady done by Ashley/us before, tinfoil hat firmly on. :lol:

Edited by Pata

9 minutes ago, Pata said:

Yeah, I've never trusted that figure and don't think it has ever been confirmed. Just made no sense unless it was some weird favour to an agent to maybe hide something shady done by Ashley/us before, tinfoil hat firmly on. :lol:

I think 40m was the total including agents fees, wages etc. Remember the Ashley regime used to add this onto the transfer fees to make it look like he was splashing the cash. I doubt Hoffenheim saw more than half that alledged transfer fee.

4 hours ago, Pandamninator said:

Was anyone ever able to validate the 40m figure (either in the accounts or sources)? To me it always seemed made up BS and on brand for Fatty to inflate how much we were spending.

IIRC they did the same thing with Almiron when they screamed to the world that they had finally broken the Owen record and it came out in the wash that it was still below that figure (may be misremembering however).

Hoffenheim put something out saying it was the largest transfer fee they'd ever received for a player. Previously it had been £29m for Firmino so I don't have any reason to doubt it. 

I think I remember Joelinton and ASM both had the same agent and we bought them in the same summer, it felt strange at the time

I'm surprised we spent £40mil on a player and he's only on about £40k a week

3 minutes ago, joeyt said:

I think I remember Joelinton and ASM both had the same agent and we bought them in the same summer, it felt strange at the time

I'm surprised we spent £40mil on a player and he's only on about £40k a week

The Joelinton signing was very weird. Spend nothing for ages and then suddenly pick him to spend £40m on. 

53 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

The Joelinton signing was very weird. Spend nothing for ages and then suddenly pick him to spend £40m on. 

Didn’t that break our transfer records too? Was odd as fuck.

Just now, FLUMPO235 said:

Didn’t that break our transfer records too? Was odd as fuck.

We broke our transfer record in the January (£20m on Almiron, finally passing Owen), Rafa left in the summer, then we broke it again for Joelinton (£40m) and spent about £20m on ASM.  Ashley had quite the six-month splurge.

10 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

The transfer fee didn't make any sense.

That's why I felt it was an agent favour with ASM

I think Rafa thought Joelinton had some canny attributes but he didn't want to spend £40mil on him. Bruce was barely in the job before we spent that much on him

Just now, joeyt said:

That's why I felt it was an agent favour with ASM

I think Rafa thought Joelinton had some canny attributes but he didn't want to spend £40mil on him. Bruce was barely in the job before we spent that much on him

Definitely signed above Bruce's head.

I feel like Bruce had decent "talent ID" at other clubs. Or Wigan had a mean connect in South America and Hull had a mean connect in the football league.

4 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

We had gotten money for Mitrovic and Merino the summer before and then Ayoze that summer. It is weird though. Ashley probably lost a bet with that agent.

Or that agent went halfers on the commission and deposited the proceeds in a mysterious offshore bank account under the name of Myke Cashley. :pow:

First comment:

“The negotiations should go something like this. Joelinton says how much he wants and they agree. We can’t afford to lose him when we could potentially lose Bruno too” 

bet this is sorted promptly 😎