Joelinton

Stifler

If he's still here next season, we haven't been taken over and we are still a zombie club with no ambition. It makes no difference whether he plays as a CF or in a wider role, he has no discernable quality to make him an average player nevermind one who cost so much money. Sell or loan him to anybody who will take him.

He's playing his favoured left side and is still mediocre at best.

Was amused to hear Dowie saying he’d be better after being moved up front when Gayle went off. Clearly he hasn’t watched too many of our games this season.

Awful today, looked barely competent.

Disappointing. I have kept faith in him as long as I could but he has zero confidence in the final third and wants to get rid of the ball at every opportunity. Nice little layoffs and short passes simply arent enough. He is a luxury player without the luxury. More so he is the anti striker.

Guest chopey

I don't think he's rubbish he's just another Gouffron or Lovrakands, average at everything and a squad player

I don't think he's rubbish he's just another Gouffron or Lovrakands, average at everything and a squad player

Lovenkrands was twice the player by the way.

“If you get into the six-yard box often enough, you’ll get three or four goals from that position a season,” Shearer said. “Gayle offers a goal threat which Joelinton hasn’t been able to. Who cares if it’s two or three yards out? It’s a brilliant centre-forward’s goal.”

Shearer on Gayle's goal yesterday, and it's so true. I feel like it's the exact sort of goal you'll never see Joelinton scoring that many of. Having the instinct to detect the opportunity and the wherewithal to actually gamble and execute the finish. Sprinting onto a cross across the box is one thing (anyone with enough pace can finish in those circumstances) - but identifying an uncertain chance takes a proper striker's intuition and Gayle summed up in one moment why, in spite of his limitations, he's a better option than Joe.

Such a bad signing. Easily one of our worst ever given the price.

Guest neesy111

Our strikeforce really is shite. Between Gayle, big Joe, Carroll and Muto there isn't anyone who will get 10 let alone 15-20 in the PL. Major surgery needed regardless of takeover.

Gayle's had 3 since the restart, I'd think he'd get 10 in the current line up and formation.

Goal scoring instinct and movement is a fairly basic quality any striker should have. You have to wonder why the chief scout who recommended we spend £40m on Joelinton hasn't been sacked then.

Guest neesy111

Goal scoring instinct and movement is a fairly basic quality any striker should have. You have to wonder why the chief scout who recommended we spend £40m on Joelinton hasn't been sacked then.

This is so true, you just don't see anything near a striker in him.

Assuming Gayle had played the minutes Joelinton had this season he'd be sat on 10-12 goals IMO.

ASM has spent a fair bit of the season injured, mind. We don't play well/attack when he isn't in the side. Think Gayle would have just-about matched his 6-goal return from 17-18.

Falling over his own feet constantly.

Fuck me. What is he? Not a centre forward, certainly not a wide forward nor a number ten.

False nine?

Never seen a man slip so many times while scoring goals before - he did it against Sheffield and i'm pretty sure he also ended up on his butt scoring 3 or 4 his 7 odd goals for Hoffenheim

Assuming Gayle had played the minutes Joelinton had this season he'd be sat on 10-12 goals IMO.

ASM has spent a fair bit of the season injured, mind. We don't play well/attack when he isn't in the side. Think Gayle would have just-about matched his 6-goal return from 17-18.

I'm thinking mainly of the crosses flashed across the 6-yard box or shots parried by keepers (even when ASM was out and we looked very poor). Joelinton stood on his heels yards away and not following in shots whereas Gayle would have; you can probably add 3 or 4 from just that and assume he'd have got another few from general play in the time afforded.

Gayle was out injured for a lot of the season.

I was beginning to think Joelinton's contract had a clause stipulating he must start every game he is fit for. I think yesterday was only the second time he wasn't started in the league.

How Joelinton cost £40m is a mystery. That amount must have performance clauses built in? If it was a straight £40m, Hoffenheim have pulled off a miracle. I guess we'll know when the accounts come out.