Joelinton

Stifler

Not sure what the debate is about.

We’ve gone back to the pardew era, Benitez gone now there’s a compliant ‘coach’ who will have (no) final say on signings.

Carr gets ‘em in, then we sell ‘em high.

If we’re unlucky we might qualify for Europe like pardew

Aye, does seem to be a case of trying to buy enough talent to compensate for a poor manager.

It's really not much to do with the manager. It's about keeping the club just in the PL and selling assets for more than you bought them.

It's more like poor/spineless managers are more likely to do what they want.

It works for ashley though!

How much did he make on sissoko and wijnaldum last time we went down?

When we went down we made 11m off Wijnaldum in 12 months and a lot on Sissoko, this time when we go noone is paying over 40m for a championship player

Aye, does seem to be a case of trying to buy enough talent to compensate for a poor manager.

It's really not much to do with the manager. It's about keeping the club just in the PL and selling assets for more than you bought them.

Exactly. Benitez was a nightmare for Ashley. We’ve gone back a decade now.

Few big signings will keep the sheep bleating though

When we went down we made 11m off Wijnaldum in 12 months and a lot on Sissoko, this time when we go noone is paying over 40m for a championship player

They will though. If he's any good. We can sell him and Almiron, then hope to get promoted, rinse and repeat

Exactly. Benitez was a nightmare for Ashley. We’ve gone back a decade now.

Few big signings will keep the sheep bleating though

:thup:.

They will though. If he's any good. We can sell him and Almiron, then hope to get promoted, rinse and repeat

You could probably add lacelles , schar , lejeune and longstaff to that list aswell (if they are still here of course)

German journalist fella on Talkshyte reckons Joelinton is nothing special as of yet we've paid for potential apparently.

Well that could work both ways and he could end up not taking to the prem or Steve Bruces hoofball

There again if he is any good it's for the benefit of Ashleys pocket and not the football club.

German journalist fella on Talkshyte reckons Joelinton is nothing special as of yet we've paid for potential apparently.

Well that could work both ways and he could end up not taking to the prem or Steve Bruces hoofball

There again if he is any good it's for the benefit of Ashleys pocket and not the football club.

Does Cauliflower Head play hoofball?

aye not convinced of this, he's no pulis...more like a hughes with no discernible style or qualities if you ask me

Didn't he once say he "doesn't believe in tactics?" :lol:

Man, going to be such a rude awakening after how well drilled we were previously.

The next Rivere.

aye not convinced of this, he's no pulis...more like a hughes with no discernible style or qualities if you ask me

This. Can't see him getting the best out of Joelinton anyway, from his videos, looks like a player who needs to be in a passing team.

Adjusting for inflation, but not the effect of Sky TV money, Alan Shearer would cost around £24m in today's money.

That means Joe Linton is worth one and two thirds Alan Shearers, or in proper Keegan Era Units, A Shearer and a Ferdinand.

In the 96/97 season, Shearer scored 28 goals in all appearances and Ferdy 21.

Therefore, Joe Linton is going to score 49 goals this season.  :frantic:

% of annual revenue is the best way to go IMO. Might be harder going back that far though.

Can vaguely remember last season when Man Utd were being linked with signing dafties for £80m is roughly equated to what Rio Ferdinand cost in the same situation.

Crazy to think that Rio was actually super expensive for a CB at the time, yet he became the core of a defence that won squillions of trophies.

11 goals in 35, £40m :/

Would rather Benitez anyday

nee way is it anywhere near that.

No doubt using the same Llambias trick of counting wages - same way he spun the Ba/Cabaye signings plus a bore hole into somehow us spending all the Carroll money.

Guest Gonzo

I think this lad will cope with the pressure just fine. The price tag seemed to have an effect on Miggy last season. He was trying so hard to score.

Think this new lad coming in will take that pressure off.

Really difficult to put all the garbage outside of this aside. So I get the negativity. When it comes to the actual player, Ive seen him 15-20 times over the last couple seasons. At times he looked lights out even though he was used in different ways. Sometimes, when Kramaric, was missing he would play more like 10. He definitely has potential but man this is a lot of money for the actual production he has given. With that said, I wouldnt even be questioning it at 25 so I guess 40 makes sense given the state of the sport especially in the Premier League.

His ceiling is enormous...problem is his floor is troublesome in my eyes. I do know that a year ago if you asked me Joelinton or Raul Jimenez for example.. I would have said give me Joelinton just based off what I think they could become....so hopefully that rings true since Jimenez did a helluva job, even if its a 10x better team as built.

Just a year or so ago, in Hoffenheim circles, he was being likened to Roberto Firmino. He obviously has so much to prove with a mountain of expectation on his shoulders. I hope he does well, truly do...but... Chances are he is just another meh player that money was thrown at to throw off the narrative among the masses who will eat the crap that is fed to them.

Now taken in totality.....yeah whatever Ashley...thanks for pissing on this club to the point the best manager we could likely hope for leaves and then decide to spend. Yes it feels shady when taken in that context.

albert luque says hi.

thats the only other bizarre high price signing i can think of. his was even more bizarre as he was a lot older and i dont even think Depor were asking anything near £10m at the time.

still FFS >>>>>> FCB anyday of the week.