Joelinton

Stifler

Really difficult to put all the garbage outside of this aside. So I get the negativity. When it comes to the actual player, Ive seen him 15-20 times over the last couple seasons. At times he looked lights out even though he was used in different ways. Sometimes, when Kramaric, was missing he would play more like 10. He definitely has potential but man this is a lot of money for the actual production he has given. With that said, I wouldnt even be questioning it at 25 so I guess 40 makes sense given the state of the sport especially in the Premier League.

His ceiling is enormous...problem is his floor is troublesome in my eyes. I do know that a year ago if you asked me Joelinton or Raul Jimenez for example.. I would have said give me Joelinton just based off what I think they could become....so hopefully that rings true since Jimenez did a helluva job, even if its a 10x better team as built.

Just a year or so ago, in Hoffenheim circles, he was being likened to Roberto Firmino. He obviously has so much to prove with a mountain of expectation on his shoulders. I hope he does well, truly do...but... Chances are he is just another meh player that money was thrown at to throw off the narrative among the masses who will eat the crap that is fed to them.

Now taken in totality.....yeah whatever Ashley...thanks for pissing on this club to the point the best manager we could likely hope for leaves and then decide to spend. Yes it feels shady when taken in that context.

The problem with this signing is that he's been given the #9 like Mitrovic before him so we're banking on this guy being our main source of goals. His track record doesn't suggest he's capable of carrying that mantle. Even if he fulfils his potential it doesn't sound like he'll end up as an out-and-out striker and that's what we're desperate for.

Really difficult to put all the garbage outside of this aside. So I get the negativity. When it comes to the actual player, Ive seen him 15-20 times over the last couple seasons. At times he looked lights out even though he was used in different ways. Sometimes, when Kramaric, was missing he would play more like 10. He definitely has potential but man this is a lot of money for the actual production he has given. With that said, I wouldnt even be questioning it at 25 so I guess 40 makes sense given the state of the sport especially in the Premier League.

His ceiling is enormous...problem is his floor is troublesome in my eyes. I do know that a year ago if you asked me Joelinton or Raul Jimenez for example.. I would have said give me Joelinton just based off what I think they could become....so hopefully that rings true since Jimenez did a helluva job, even if its a 10x better team as built.

Just a year or so ago, in Hoffenheim circles, he was being likened to Roberto Firmino. He obviously has so much to prove with a mountain of expectation on his shoulders. I hope he does well, truly do...but... Chances are he is just another meh player that money was thrown at to throw off the narrative among the masses who will eat the crap that is fed to them.

Now taken in totality.....yeah whatever Ashley...thanks for pissing on this club to the point the best manager we could likely hope for leaves and then decide to spend. Yes it feels shady when taken in that context.

The problem with this signing is that he's been given the #9 like Mitrovic before him so we're banking on this guy being our main source of goals. His track record doesn't suggest he's capable of carrying that mantle. Even if he fulfils his potential it doesn't sound like he'll end up as an out-and-out striker and that's what we're desperate for.

Mitrovic is a good comparison tbh. Doesn't matter how good your all round game is, for £40m you would expect goals.

Add that to the fact that our other record signing Almiron hasn't scored yet either, and you can see the pressure they will be under as a front pair.

Add that to the fact that our other record signing Almiron hasn't scored yet either, and you can see the pressure they will be under as a front pair.

oddly i think almiron will do well under bruce, a few of our attackers might well flourish more than they did under rafa as he won't be expecting them to be as disciplined defensively

it will inevitably lead to us getting some absolute fucking shoeings mind

oddly i think almiron will do well under bruce, a few of our attackers might well flourish more than they did under rafa as he won't be expecting them to be as disciplined defensively

it will inevitably lead to us getting some absolute fucking shoeings mind.

Perez was the Premier League top scorer from January.

And Rondon the 4th highest contributive striker outside the Big 6.

Only 4 teams scored more than us since Almiron arrived.

We went on a 5 game run when Almiron signed of having the most shots in the Premier League for that period even more than Man City.

We were flying attackingly in 3-4-2-1 when Mike finally let Rafa Benitez have money for a quality attacking player :thup:

We went on a 5 game run when Almiron signed of having the most shots in the Premier League for that period even more than Man City.

We were flying attackingly in 3-4-2-1 when Mike finally let Rafa Benitez have money for a quality attacking player :thup:

Weird, I thought Rafa just parked the bus.

i'm aware of this but was responding to the point from tron about almiron not scoring, i felt that as well as we played when he came in the positions he was expected to take didn't necessarily suit him in an attacking sense (scoring) and that might alter without rafa's structure

i mean if you're under the impression i'm criticising rafa as you appear to be you're barking up the wrong tree, but i suspect our new front 3 (if we get another attacker) might do well in the way Ba/Cisse/HBA did during that period

• 2 weeks later...

Think this guy is going to be really good.

Has impacted every game, winning the pen in the first and scoring in his next two appearances. Fantastic start.

Going to be fun watching Joelinton, Moraes and Haller over the season to compare how they end up doing in their first season.

First game is never easy to judge a striker.  I always think back to Demba Ba playing like Bambi on ice for the first few games and he turned out to be a class act once fit and up to speed.

But I can already get a sense of why Rafa was against spending £40m on this guy.  It wouldn't surprise me if he ended up with similar or slightly higher goals + assists to Rondon across the season, but without contributing as Rondon would elsewhere.  With Rondon we had a leader, an example and someone who put his heart and soul into every facet of the game.  Joelinton didn't show any of that today - and I actually thought his holdup play was definitely inferior to Rondon's.

For instance, there was a corner in the second half where he proper half-arsed his marking job and the Arsenal player got the header in.  No way would Rondon allow that. 

£16m on Rondon and the rest would strengthen the weaknesses in our squad which have remained untouched.

Rondon was the finished article, everything the previous centre-forward (Mitrovic) would maybe become, but never likely to at NUFC. We could've had him at a snip but decided to go down the Mitrovic route again.

I must be in a different camp. I think he was magnificant and showed why he’s worth the price tag.

He was tidy i'll give him that, but he strikes me as a high floor/low ceiling player.  He'll never fuck it up or have a 2/10 shocker, but he won't take the game by the scruff of the neck either. 

We can't afford him to be a rich mans Heskey when he is supposed to the Number 9 leading the line with little in the way of zero proven end product playing behind him.

That’s exactly why he is regarded as the new Firmino. Excellent pace and strength together with aerial ability, very tidy footwork and technique, able to contribute in team play and defense, above average workrate.

His finishing is yet to be observed but it’s very obvious that he is a lot better than both Rondon and Mitrovic at his age and that’s why he has a 40m price tag.

He won’t be here for long regardless of our positions.

That’s exactly why he is regarded as the new Firmino. Excellent pace and strength together with aerial ability, very tidy footwork and technique, able to contribute in team play and defense, above average workrate.

His finishing is yet to be observed but it’s very obvious that he is a lot better than both Rondon and Mitrovic at his age and that’s why he has a 40m price tag.

He won’t be here for long regardless of our positions.

Seems a good all rounder physically capable for the PL, can he make the step up and score goals like Firminho did? Big ask for the lad working under Bruce.

Guest neesy111

I must be in a different camp. I think he was magnificant and showed why he’s worth the price tag.

He was very decent in the first half, but woeful in the second.  Magnificent is certainly over egging it.

You can't judge this guy much at all. It's his first competitive game in a new league, with a dog shit head coach applying tactics his own players don't seem to follow.

I thought he did a few things well, a few things didn't come off. He wasn't routinely given quality supply in a side playing a system, so he's feeding off scraps already. £40m is clearly not his value, but he may grow in to that. Just have to be patient, but I suspect due to being in a Steve Bruce side he won't develop here well and he will be off for half of that amount next summer.