Joelinton

Stifler

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like another bad use of transfers from our side. We've replaced Rondon (who was perfect in that role) with a player who really doesn't look like he should play as a lone striker. He's strong but much more mobile than Rondon and looks more suited to be playing out wide or as one of two strikers. This is how he was used at Hoffenheim, if I'm not mistaken. The only player we have who really looks suited for that lone striker role is Carroll but of course he's not good enough. So not really possible to push Joelinton out wide.

He looked ok first couple of games but looks like a Sunday league one currently. What does he bring to the team?

Not really sure what any striker could bring to this team without spending serious money. Young strikers who can bang in 15-20 goals a season will cost a hell of a lot of money, and that's what we need, not a target man who is good with his feet and is mainly a secondary forward. The alternative of course is to spend £16m on a 30 year old who can do the job and grab 10 goals a season as well.

It goes without saying that no one in their right mind would spend £40m on a striker who hasn't got a record of scoring goals. I'm not sure what we were expecting when you look at his history. If we paid that money for a player who looks good but won't score goals, then he's not doing a lot wrong.

I'd get Gayle up to speed ASAP.

Well, he scored 23 goals last season so it's not the worst idea. If you look at the rest of our squad, Joelinton scored 7 goals last season, ASM scored 6. Think they are the top 2 apart from Gayle? We'll probably end up the lowest scoring team. It's currently us and Watford.

A player who's playing for a team that had 0 shots on target today. There's a player there, but I don't see it happening for him with Bruce.

Too slow for the premier league IMO. Wants more time on the ball than he has and needs to be vastly more decisive.

Well, he scored 23 goals last season so it's not the worst idea. If you look at the rest of our squad, Joelinton scored 7 goals last season, ASM scored 6. Think they are the top 2 apart from Gayle? We'll probably end up the lowest scoring team. It's currently us and Watford.

He's a Championship striker, has never been Prem quality

I agree. And yet, he's probably got more goals in him than any other player in our squad. That was my point.

I agree. And yet, he's probably got more goals in him than any other player in our squad. That was my point.

It's a fair point tbf. He's a goalscorer so he'll get into the sort of positions that Joelinton isn't at the moment. But then Joelinton wasn't bought for his goals record so presumably we will be losing whatever else he brings to the table.

He'll do OK at a team that can afford to give him the time to play to his strengths where he isn't the sole expectation of goals from the team

Fail to see how he's better than Rondon for us right now though.