Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

Seems like he's really willing to learn Eddie's style of play and it's shown in the last two games. Still runs with the ball a lot but releases it much earlier more often and gets others involved. Been superb the last two games and helped us add that extra quality and threat in the final third

He's matured mentally but unfortunately because of his sheer speed and twisting style he's lost a half-yard of pace and a little agility due to his many injuries.

So it equilibriates.

There were moments a couple seasons ago where I'm not sure he could pull off those runs now, where he's slaloming through like 5 people.

But he's less wasteful now also.

To conclude, he's awesome and I probably don't know what I'm talking about. Makes a change.

Edited by Mountain

I'm not too sure I agree with that, I think those runs were necessary at the time and it's how he was told to play

Bruce tactics were give him the ball and let him try and do it all, which resulted in lots of those mazy dribbles which was great individually but as a team there was no great benefit as he was often heavily marked or isolated 

Currently that's different, when he now picks up the ball there are runners either ahead of him or alongside him, he no longer needs to take on 5 people nor is he asked to do that 

6 hours ago, Mountain said:

He's matured mentally but unfortunately because of his sheer speed and twisting style he's lost a half-yard of pace and a little agility due to his many injuries.

He got past his man with pace and skill for the first goal, his vision and pace nearly got us a sublime goal of the season all but for a poor left foot from Murphy,

He used his pace to get behind his man for the header last weekend that got us a goal.

Genuinely gutted for him, really felt like it was starting to click.

Hopefully the reporting of it as a minor injury is accurate and he isn't out long but it's hard to not be downbeat, lots of little niggles this year and you wonder if his body just isn't able for what Howe demands from his players.

Have to say. Despite him playing way recently. To the eye, physically he hasn't looked right to me. Perhaps this hamstring has been playing up a little for awhile and they are just trying to manage it and avoid him getting a longer term strain. 

Shame if he's out of Villa and worse Spurs as I think having all our attacking options makes a big difference. 

I don't know if we can absorb this. The work they'll do in training now only to have ASM miss most of the season. As opposed to someone available.

Not sure he's worth selling now either (price wise) because of it. Conudrum.

Just now, alexf said:

Have to say. Despite him playing way recently. To the eye, physically he hasn't looked right to me. Perhaps this hamstring has been playing up a little for awhile and they are just trying to manage it and avoid him getting a longer term strain. 

I think his body is just fundamentally incapable of sustaining the rigours of Premier League football, let alone Eddie Howe football. I don't know what he was like for Nice and prior, but he fucked his hamstring/s very early doors with us (you-know-who chucking him in half fit didn't help) and he's never once looked comfortable thereafter. 

Yeah he's getting abit Kieron Dyer with these hamstrings. They seem so prone to pulls and tears. It feels like it's holding back his ability to perform at 100%. 

Even recently despite contributing to the team he looks scared to run at full speed anymore. Maybe rightly so if he is getting minor strains so easily. 

"I don’t think it’s serious with Allan. He didn’t feel 100% during the West Ham game, so we decided to scan him.

"It wasn’t a clear injury, but we decided to scan him and it revealed a very minor problem with his hamstring. We knew pretty much straight away he wasn’t going to be available for this game.

"I’m guessing slightly, but it’ll maybe be a couple of weeks. It’s nothing too serious, although it was a big blow because of the form Allan has been in. But again, we back the strength of the squad."