Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

Love the bloke and on the one hand I want him to stay.  As I think he's more than good enough to be a regular starter here, even moving forward.  But his injury problems have now become a massive issue and it seems a waste of a squad place if he's never going to string 8-10 games together before being crocked again. 

He really does add something unique to the team and is a great option in the squad. I doubt we spend a huge outlay on a new wide player when he’s still in the squad and we just signed Gordon for £40m. A Joao Pedro type player seems perfect for the numbers that we’ll need for next season 

11 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Luckily it’s not a problem now, it’s more a problem of whether to keep or sell. 

IF we get the right offer he’ll go imo, the issue is if of course though. He just doesn’t suit the intense high press style that most of the ambitious clubs are using now, and those are generally the clubs that would be willing to spend 40m on a winger. Is ASM worth that? I could see him going for closer to 30m, fitness issues considered.

Just now, Nine said:

IF we get the right offer he’ll go imo, the issue is if of course though. He just doesn’t suit the intense high press style that most of the ambitious clubs are using now, and those are generally the clubs that would be willing to spend 40m on a winger. Is ASM worth that? I could see him going for closer to 30m, fitness issues considered.

It's a shame because he's fucking class. I think if we sign another winger in the summer though he'll be the one to leave. 

2 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

It's a shame because he's fucking class. I think if we sign another winger in the summer though he'll be the one to leave. 

If his muscle injuries weren’t so consistent he’d be staying imo, questions over his mental ability to adjust his game and make the right decisions remain but I think over time he’d get better at that. Sadly for him his fitness just isn’t going to improve, it only gets worse from here with the accumulation of injuries and age.

Players with his fitness record simply arnt cut out for long periods in a side like ours.

Edited by Nine

He's been really trying to get on board the Howe train IMO, maybe his body just can't take the strain. 

I'd probably give him a full pre-season working on strength and stability etc. But even as I'm typing that I'm wondering whether it will really make any difference :/

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

Last season he made 35 PL appearances. I think he's just been unlucky this season and it will take time for someone with his physiology to adjust from training once a week under Bruce to what Howe has them doing. 

We sound pretty savage about making sure that squad is as lean and efficient as possible, considering FFP budgets. It wouldn't be a shock to see us cut bait on him in the summer, while he's got good market value, purely based on fitness concerns and look to bring in someone like Diaby.

I do think he's been unlucky this season and that part of the problem could be that he's bulked up. Saw a clip of us a couple of years back and he looks a lot smaller, I can't imagine the additional muscle is good for him considering how much he twists and accelerates in games.

The thing is though this season he has started to get the assists. It would be a shame if he leaves, but I can see us cashing in on him. As much as he can be brilliant on his day, he’s probably reached his ceiling in ability.

4 minutes ago, duo said:

I think we should sell - seen a huge improvement in the team since Eddie came with the exception of ASM.  Just hasn't shown much progress.

Think is a bit harsh, it's pretty clear that he's trying to play with the team a lot more. And work harder running back. 

He also creates loads of chances, just other people tend to miss them. 

Obviously after a game like last night it seems like we don't need him, and maybe ultimately we won't, but I definitely think he has tried to come along for the ride. 

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Think is a bit harsh, it's pretty clear that he's trying to play with the team a lot more. And work harder running back. 

He also creates loads of chances, just other people tend to miss them. 

Obviously after a game like last night it seems like we don't need him, and maybe ultimately we won't, but I definitely think he has tried to come along for the ride. 

I echo what others have said - I think he's hit his ceiling. 

Think his style of play is suited for the European stage tbh. He would have more time and space to do his thing.

A player of similar talent would cost far more than we could generate from selling him, given his injury record. Give him next season to see if he can stay fit.

Edited by Klaus

34 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

He's been really trying to get on board the Howe train IMO, maybe his body just can't take the strain. 

I'd probably give him a full pre-season working on strength and stability etc. But even as I'm typing that I'm wondering whether it will really make any difference :/

He needs this badly. He is not conditioned well enough for the football we play.

Some fans are so harsh on him. If he had the work rate and robustness, he’d be a ball d’or contender. He’s rarely disappointed when he’s played; injuries are obviously a massive issue for him though.

Edited by McCormick