Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

5 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

They can do whatever they please, look how they blocked our takeover with no regard, or how suddenly sponsorship rules were created. 

Unless challenged legally they can do as they please. 

They can’t retrospectively apply rules that weren’t even inexistence at the time though, especially given other PL clubs have gladly shifted their deadwood to SA.

Just now, kocunar said:

Yep, there is a big difference between being the Saudi Man City, and being Saudi RB Salzburg to their Saudi Pro League RB Leipzig.

Ok :lol:

if this was even remotely true I somehow doubt the fist choice of players they could pick would be ASM. 

Let’s be clear here the Saudi league Is a career grave yard and will remain so no matter how much they spend. 

Just now, Unbelievable said:

They can’t retrospectively apply rules that weren’t even inexistence at the time though, especially given other PL clubs have gladly shifted their deadwood to SA.

Indeed they can’t so we would get one hit and that would be it. 

1 minute ago, GeordieDazzler said:

The PL won’t end up second man, people aren’t getting up at 3am to watch Al Hilal take on Atletico Jeddah. It’s a bloated vanity project and no amount of signings are going to change that. 

Yeah this angle does make me look twice to see if I'm reading it right. I mean good luck to the Saudi League in their part of the world, I just can't see any way it would suddenly become a major draw over European leagues simply because of logistics. Not to mention small matters like football tradition and history. I think people are panicking a bit like.

24 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/allan-saint-maximin-transfer-saudi-arabia-cash-newcastle-scrutiny-2488410

We want £40 million according to this.

They'll probably meet in the middle at £30 million to £35 million.

Smart move to play out the negotiations in public like this - trying to make out that a fee hasn't already been agreed and that negotiations are between two completely separate entities.  From the reactions on here the tactic seems to be working! 

Well, if our owners are as capable as everyone thinks (and I think they are, everyone was clowning their overpriced fees for LIV Golf and they ended up basically owning the whole sport), then I wouldn't put it past them to make the Saudi Pro League work. 

21 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

FFP doesn’t work like that.  ASM wouldn’t be funding Barnes. 

That's exactly how it works :lol:

We get £22m for ASM, his book value is something like £5, so that's £17m left.

Barnes at £35 is £7m on the books every season, so that's £10m left, which with amortisation means £50m for this season (not counting wages and signing on fees etc). 

10 minutes ago, TRon said:

Yeah this angle does make me look twice to see if I'm reading it right. I mean good luck to the Saudi League in their part of the world, I just can't see any way it would suddenly become a major draw over European leagues simply because of logistics. Not to mention small matters like football tradition and history. I think people are panicking a bit like.

Yep, I’ve always read it as part of their plan to get the World Cup, they are copying a lot of what Qatar did, just taking it to the logical extremes. 

36 minutes ago, Nobody said:

But if the reported €25m fee for ASM is true, abig chunk of that will go to fund Barnes at £35m+. We would have about ~£10m worth of book value left after signing Barnes, but probably less than that after factoring in wages for Barnes and the new player.

It might allow us to sign other players for £40-50m at best, I don't think that's anywhere near enough for selling what has been one of our best players since he came here. Especially not when selling in this market, where players have gone for absolutely insane money to Saudi.

I agree if we get €25 million, but I'd wager we'll get more than that, unless of course we just really want rid.

11 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Think the belief is that it unlocks a lot more spending than just Barnes. Not that I understand it. 

yeah someone mentioned that and i dont quite get it.

must  be some explanation.

1 minute ago, huss9 said:

yeah someone mentioned that and i dont quite get it.

must  be some explanation.

To do with spreading the fee over the length of the contract. So a £50m signing would only impact us by £10m this season, if the player signed a 5 year deal. Leaving £20m of the £30m we got for ASM for similar deals. 

Something like that anyways. 

1 hour ago, GeordieDazzler said:

The PL won’t end up second man, people aren’t getting up at 3am to watch Al Hilal take on Atletico Jeddah. It’s a bloated vanity project and no amount of signings are going to change that. 

Absolutely this.

Surprised how many people online are failing to understand this.

1 hour ago, Eveready said:

Bruno's definitely mentioned he was a good friend at the club.  Pretty sure he said he invited him to his wedding too.

Bet he was only invited to the evening reception. 

11 minutes ago, catlover24 said:

Expect a tell-all article where ASM will claim he was forced out, revealing his true colours.

The lad has been nothing but exemplary in his time at this club, donating to fans and charity and speaking highly of the club, the city and its inhabitants. More like you are revealing your true colours by making this unsubstantiated prediction.

21 minutes ago, catlover24 said:

Expect a tell-all article where ASM will claim he was forced out, revealing his true colours.

In that scenario it would be saying his true colours were that he wanted to stay at the clubs for the fans and Champions League football after his contribution to the club, almost single-handedly keeping us in league for a couple of year, but eventually accepted that he would move to a league where he can't compete for major honours so we can have a boost to our FFP position.  All to his own detriment and to benefit the club.

What an absolutely awful person that would make him seem.

1 hour ago, GeordieDazzler said:

3am? I didnt know Saudi Arabia is in the middle of the Pacific

I love watching ASM play but it’s apparent that he doesn’t really suit the style of play and his body isn’t capable of high intensity play over a prolonged period of time. Ideally we’d keep him around but FFP is what it is. It’s a shame as he’s clearly always wanted to play in the CL and single handedly made us watchable for a couple of years. The only surprise is that we have outgrown him quicker than he outgrew us