Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

1 minute ago, Conjo said:

It's always like this for a few matches until he picks up form and all is temporarily forgotten. :lol: 

I agree he is frustrating af, like when he got surrounded by three players on the break where he could have made an easy pass to Bruno, straight in front of him, but decided to go for glory. He had 3-4 of those situations last game as well. Hard to tell if it's because he wants to take them on, or if he just doesnt look up so he knows where his options are.

The annoying thing is by the time he has himself surrounded by 3 players he's done his job. If there's a pass to make then make it. 

He's obviously a quality player. And some of the stuff he pulls off requires the selfish going for glory streak. But there's a balance, and he could do with trying to involve his team a bit more. 

Just now, Conjo said:

It's always like this for a few matches until he picks up form and all is temporarily forgotten. :lol: 

I agree he is frustrating af, like when he got surrounded by three players on the break where he could have made an easy pass to Bruno, straight in front of him, but decided to go for glory. He had 3-4 of those situations last game as well. Hard to tell if it's because he wants to take them on, or if he just doesnt look up so he knows where his options are.

Was such a ridiculous situation that one, especially as it was in our own half not too far from our box.

Play an early ball to Bruno there and keep running and a return ball from Bruno has him away on what would have been a dangerous counter attack.

He does that kind of thing really often and it costs the team a lot of great opportunities we could exploit. Not sure he gets it.

Just now, Cf said:

The annoying thing is by the time he has himself surrounded by 3 players he's done his job. If there's a pass to make then make it. 

He's obviously a quality player. And some of the stuff he pulls off requires the selfish going for glory streak. But there's a balance, and he could do with trying to involve his team a bit more. 

You're so right on both points.

If he could just give it early in the first instance, especially when it is in our own half, then higher up the pitch he can then go crazy with his individual stuff.

Just that adjustment alone would make him so much better and dangerous a player.

2 minutes ago, triggs said:

What exactly did he do wrong today? The time he lost the ball in his own half was a clear foul. The 2 Chelsea players literally sandwiched him

Nothing. Just it's his turn on here this week, that's all. 

Guest reefatoon
1 minute ago, triggs said:

What exactly did he do wrong today? The time he lost the ball in his own half was a clear foul. The 2 Chelsea players literally sandwiched him

[emoji38] No where near enough contact  to be on the floor for so long while they attacked and left us with no outlet when we won it back. There was nothing wrong with him and sitting around on the floor doesn’t change the refs mind.

2 hours ago, Oregon_Geordie said:

Team > Player has been the big thing of late and he just wants to be the star.

His commitment seems to be flagging and I suspect this is the underlying problem.

25 minutes ago, triggs said:

Didn't pressure when he was supposed to be (as the rest of the squad had been desperately doing for like 68mins before), stayed down longer than he needed to when we were under pressure, made bad decisions with the ball, just the general - when he's not having a good game ASM things.

He's clearly very talented and likeable but he seemingly has a bee in his bonnet, and that in turn is leaving many, like me, with a bee in my bonnet, because there's nowt for us to theoretically be whinging about at present at NUFC. 

Hope he turns up on Thursday. One of his best games for the club against Everton at home, he tore them to shreds. He also released the ball at the right time and put some quality balls in the box, shame he doesn’t do that more often. 

Bet he has Howe tearing his hair out a lot. 

14 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

Hope he turns up on Thursday. One of his best games for the club against Everton at home, he tore them to shreds. He also released the ball at the right time and put some quality balls in the box, shame he doesn’t do that more often. 

Bet he has Howe tearing his hair out a lot. 

Yep, it was his best game for us because he did the right things at the right times. :thup:

6 hours ago, reefatoon said:

[emoji38] No where near enough contact  to be on the floor for so long while they attacked and left us with no outlet when we won it back. There was nothing wrong with him and sitting around on the floor doesn’t change the refs mind.

He's also an athlete than can probaby cover 100m in 12 seconds when he fancies it.

Murphy and Almiron are 25% the player but they all trigger pressed there full backs which then allowed our full back to press the wingers.

When he came on he neither pressed nor wanted to cover back. So in other words the entire team shape went out the window.

And as quoted above, he sits on his arse sulking every time he falls over.

Simple things make a huge difference. It's disrespectful to the lads who had done it for 70minutes. I love the guy. But he needs to show his team-mates some more respect and work up a sweat.

He could be a superstar here for 5-6 years but if he's not careful he'll be replaced.

Edited by Oregon_Geordie

1 hour ago, Oregon_Geordie said:

He's also an athlete than can probaby cover 100m in 12 seconds when he fancies it.

Murphy and Almiron are 25% the player but they all trigger pressed there full backs which then allowed our full back to press the wingers.

When he came on he neither pressed nor wanted to cover back. So in other words the entire team shape went out the window.

And as quoted above, he sits on his arse sulking every time he falls over.

Simple things make a huge difference. It's disrespectful to the lads who had done it for 70minutes. I love the guy. But he needs to show his team-mates some more respect and work up a sweat.

He could be a superstar here for 5-6 years but if he's not careful he'll be replaced.

Hate to agree because I love ASM, but feel the same. unlike some, im not really too critical about some of his decision making. When you have a player like that, you have to allow them to make mistakes and lose the ball, if you want them to also do the fantastic as we've seen he's capable of often. Cant have it both ways.

But the off the ball stuff... It stands out so much more when he comes off the bench. Shape of the team falls apart, and his pressing is almost a zero. He seems to try and get into the right positions, but there's no actual effort to close down and tackle anyone. And then there's the staying down after every tackle, sometimes its understandable but it seems too common an occurrence lately.

Its frustrating because he is capable of really being a world beater, but he needs to work out these aspects of his game that are all effort. Still love to watch him, hopefully Eddie cant get him drilled to play a better team game along with his usual attacking flair.

10 hours ago, The Prophet said:

What's this based on?

Okay, I'll pick my words carefully because I do seem to have a knack of upsetting people over this issue.

Like other posters, I was a bit concerned about the recent injury and illness absences, and the trip to Monaco. There was a somewhat last minute air about them, and not much clear detail. 

I think Oregon Geordie had a good point about him wanting to be the star, whereas the whole direction since Howe has come in has been about teamwork. We're also moving towards a more passing style of game, rather than relying on his ability to beat opponents, and pressing high rather than deep defence. He needs to adjust, on a personal level as well as footballing, and I'm not sure he's doing it. Beforehand, it felt like, despite his individualistic style of play, we were better off with him than without him. Now it's not so clear.

He was very disappointed, in a public manner, when Bruce went. A new man has come in and has largely taken over his status as hero. I wonder how well he's dealing with that.  

Of course this is speculation. I may be reading too much into things, or he may adjust to the new situation. If anyone looks at the same picture and says there isn't a problem, then that's fine, but that feels like speculation too.

I actually think he may be sold in the summer.  I dont think he fits into Howe's, high press, high intensity formation.   Unless he is willing to press and track back then I see more a sub role and I dont think he will accept that. I'll miss him but things change and players move on.   

It’s all well and good trying to cover for someone who won’t do the things his teammates are doing if he is doing good things up the pitch, but we didn’t see that yesterday.

Again I’m not overreacting, he has good games and then bad ones. Yesterday, not so good. ASM finding consistency has been the running theme ever since he signed, but for the games where he finds his rhythm, there’s nobody better in the PL imo.

The natural thing is to look for a scapegoat when we lose, but we’re looking in wrong place, it was Dan Burn who lost his concentration that lost us the game after all and nobody is criticising him (rightly so)

Guest neesy111
2 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Can't remember him ever playing well when he's brought on as a sub. Might be forgetting something

Everton away last season?