Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

2 hours ago, McCormick said:

Feel like I’m working for the Saudi tourism board here :lol: but of course! What would you want to do? There’s untouched historical sites that rival Petra, there’s off-roading, some of the best diving you can get, loads of live events, massive modern shopping malls, 5-star restaurants, amazing mum-and-pop local restaurants, stunning beaches etc. The women are glorious too.

This isn’t to say there aren’t downsides to living here but there’s definitely a lot of upside.

I think these posts of first hand experience are invaluable tbh, if only to balance the negative views of which we are all mostly aware. Not for me personally, but it's still interesting to see there's a lot more there than sand and public beheadings.

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Think most of the criticism of Saudi comes from the human rights issues and sportswashing, rather than whether they have enough luxury hotel compounds. 

Agreed, but we are well aware of those already. But people are asking why players would consider ever going there beyond a year so it's useful to hear the other side.

16 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Think most of the criticism of Saudi comes from the human rights issues and sportswashing, rather than whether they have enough luxury hotel compounds. 

Lot’s of work still do obviously but MBS -the guy who everyone is blasting (and I’m not saying they’re necessarily wrong to do so) - has done more for human rights/ women’s rights etc. in the last 5 years than anyone has in the entire history of Saudi Arabia. That, despite the protestations of the public as well.

14 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Lot’s of work still do obviously but MBS -the guy who everyone is blasting (and I’m not saying they’re necessarily wrong to do so) - has done more for human rights/ women’s rights etc. in the last 5 years than anyone has in the entire history of Saudi Arabia. That, despite the protestations of the public as well.

Yes, I was laughing to myself earlier when I read someone seem to suggest that they thought it was the MBS government holding the Saudi people back from having some kind of liberal paradise.

31 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

He's absolutely electric when he's on it.

On his day no question he's world class, I'd say the best in the premier League at beating a man, he literally turns people inside out. The day he made Kyle Walker his bitch for the day was glorious.

But for the injuries….

I thought his game had really  improved under Howe. Will be sad to see him go, and think he may tear up wherever he lands. If he stuck around, and if he avoided injury, I think he would do very well for us. We would have more than one “Man City” performance to point to.

But he is the only (expendable) player on the books that has any real value. Miggy would be a distant second second.  If we have depth anywhere, it’s left forward. There’s no one else that I can think that is “expendable” and “valuable”.  If we are constrained by FFP, and we have to sell to buy quality elsewhere, he’s the most obvious (I.e. only) candidate. Everyone else is either irreplaceable or virtually worthless in the marketplace.

6 hours ago, Lotus said:

Fantastic when he’s near 100% fitness. Great balance and change of pace, impossible to defend against.

When he’s in good nick he’s an asset to anyone.

The problem is, he’s in good nick nowhere near enough. 

On 11/07/2023 at 17:55, OverThere said:

Maxi must read social media. Bad idea. I think he stays given the replacement cost would be astronomical.

the replacement cost is not astronomical.

Neves probably benchmarks the sale price, £50m.

Barnes is the replacement, £35m.

then due to how FFP works with fee divided by transfer length for each year, we are then able to afford, based on £40m profit to the FFP books quite a few extra players.

On 11/07/2023 at 17:55, OverThere said:

Maxi must read social media. Bad idea. I think he stays given the replacement cost would be astronomical.

Barnes is apparently costing £35 million. Seems reasonable in today's overinflated market.