Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

ASM is best on the counter imo and we'll be playing that way a fair bit in the champions league, I would imagine. Also think that being too predictable was an issue at points last season and having someone like Maxi offers something that is hard to replace. 

Makes sense from a financial perspective (I'm taking that as read from people wiser than me) but not from a football perspective to me. 

Edited by TheHoob

I think it's the right time to sell him for a few reasons:

1. I think it's pretty obvious his long term future isn't here, he played a bit part last year and I don't see his injury problems getting better with the demands we put on our players

2. I imagine we'll get the best fee for him now from the Saudis

3. The money we bring in hopefully will allow us to sign Barnes plus 2 more in other areas we need strengthening

14 minutes ago, Erikse said:

Okay, let me drop to your level . Watch his goal scoring numbers for last season and tell me he's worth £50 mill. If you blame injuries, well injuries is part of the reason as to why he's not worth that much.

Any need? Look at Isak's season before he signed for us. He is a player who has consistently caused problems for defences at the top level. 

Understand trusting the club and all that craic, but potentially selling ASM to have our first choice wide players be Barnes and Almirón is a bit underwhelming. They don't exactly scream CL quality options for the wings.

Aware that Gordon is there who can potentially play on the right, but even still.

He's got a shedload of talent and when he's 'on' he's one of the most exciting players to watch in Europe. The reality is though that he's either injured or trying to work his way back to full sharpness for about 3/4 of a season. It's a shame as he has all the traits of what make a great impact sub too but he can't even fulfill that role well.

I think it's just hard to make someone like part of your long term plans as a manager. He's one of the only players we can sell for a decent wedge, it makes absolute sense to sell him now before his value drops next summer with only a year left and strengthen the squad overall. 

If Maxi is the sacrifice needed in order for us to get another few quality players in this summer, then so be it. 

He’s fantastic on his day but his day is only a handful of times a season. 

The sooner people make their peace with the fact we need to turn over players the better.

At some point in the next few years we’ll shift a really important name for the greater good of the club. It’s the reality of the modern, FFP-led game. The blessing is that unlike in previous years we know there’s a wider plan in place to keep us moving forward.

10 minutes ago, Shays Given Tim Flowers said:

Any need? Look at Isak's season before he signed for us. He is a player who has consistently caused problems for defences at the top level. 

When did ASM score 17 in a league season? Isak did it at 21. Even that season you talk about he scored more than what ASM has ever done in a season. And that was a disappointing season for Isak goalwise.

Edited by Erikse

That's a shame. It's always seemed like Barnes was a pre-emptive deal, but with two completely different skill sets it would have been nice to have both available.

Everyone should have a soft spot for Maxi for carrying us in the dark days, but it's seemed evident for a while his days were numbered. Immensely talented lad, but too injury prone and his productivity just hasn't kicked on under Howe.

Barnes may be no thrills, but he's far more effective. It'll also give us far more capacity to spend for the rest of the window.

1 minute ago, RobsonsWonderland said:

Not expected... So if he does travel does that mean its not true ? 

Or will they spin it around to say it was a goodbye to the fans.

Honestly can't stand Hope and his negative spin on every post

Erm, that just seems a fairly standard tweet reporting the situation? Don’t think it’s in a negative or positive light?

Pizza Rob the only genuine ITK we have.

Eddie played a PR blinder after Gateshead at the weekend saying he wants to keep Maxi - he knows Maxi is a fan fave.

Guest reefatoon
33 minutes ago, astraguy said:

if we don't get over 50m this is awful, Barnes wont have the same impact asm could in huge games 

He will probably have more as he will start. Plus he is a better chance to actually put the ball in the net. You need goals in huge games you know. They are actually more important than step overs and mazy runs.

Now they’ve received contact from the Saudi’s, he won’t be there tonight, I can assure you.

A deal will be struck, there’s no question about that. He knows Howe doesn’t want him, the club need to sell him, and once he sees the salary on offer, he will be signing that pretty darn quick. 

Just going to be excruciating now, while this inevitable departure plays out. Everyone just wants to know what the fee is now.

Just now, Erikse said:

When did ASM score 17 in a season? Isak did it at 21. Even that season you talk about he scored more than what ASM has ever done in a season. And that was a disappointing season for Isak goalwise.

You cited ASM goal scoring record from last season. I referred to Isak's the season before he signed for us. 

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12920431/summer-transfer-window-2023-who-has-signed-for-saudia-arabia-clubs-roberto-firmino-ruben-neves-karim-benzema-and-more#:~:text=Ruben Neves%2C Karim Benzema and Roberto Firmino have signed for,offers - and more will follow. 

£40-50m for him is probably the equivalent of selling him for £30m in Europe/PL.