Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

12 minutes ago, Holloway said:

He's a dribbler,they don't change much. The best ones develop an awareness when to release it, he hasn't shown much of that, yet 

Apart from all the chances, assists and goals he's scored to help us stay in the division the last 2 seasons

1 hour ago, joeyt said:

Apart from all the chances, assists and goals he's scored to help us stay in the division the last 2 seasons

yeah, he`s arguably been our best player in that period. Still holds onto it for too long, and a simple lay off could negate the mazy runs to nowhere

Not being able to drop ASM is pure testament to sour situation we've all been in since we came back up. What's the point in dropping our most talented player for meh.... Murphy, Fraser, Ritchie? Go Away!

Anyway, this will cheer you up.. 

Edited by AC Jimbo

On 13/12/2021 at 10:12, St1pe said:

Saw him described as a luxury we can’t afford today. Absolute madness. He’s been one of our most important players for the last year or so, he’s the most talented in the squad and offers us something others can’t and people are starting to turn on him. Bizarre. Saw a standard PFM fan comment about how he doesn’t track back enough. I’m guessing it’s the same people who didn’t rate Ben Arfa as well if he didn’t win a game on his own. 

I love watching the guy, but you've just got to watch the highlights to the Leicester game to realise what he takes away also. Leicester's goals were all set up by quick passing through the middle, 3-4 players involved. Then you see ASM in a similar position to feed Wilson, in the box and he just runs into a blind alley.

I wouldn't drop him. It's a similar thing with Almiron - they're better further up the pitch running at people, not tracking back. If they do win the ball deep in our own half, there are then few options further up the pitch - which is what's happening.

It's understandable asking them to do the tracking back as we're so poor defensively, but it's maddening in so many ways. 

Next two games, as I think someone has already said, we need to let them off the leash - we'll get beaten either way but better to lose 4-3 or even 6-2 than 6 or 7-0. 

2 hours ago, Happinesstan said:

I love watching the guy, but you've just got to watch the highlights to the Leicester game to realise what he takes away also. Leicester's goals were all set up by quick passing through the middle, 3-4 players involved. Then you see ASM in a similar position to feed Wilson, in the box and he just runs into a blind alley.

This is just not given enough consideration. No matter how brilliant an individual player is, the chances of scoring wonder goals, or even creating them are a lot less than when you get 3 or 4 players pinging a few quick passes together. 

Of course you need 3 or 4 good players capable of doing it, but ultimately that's the most successful form of football. 

2 hours ago, Happinesstan said:

This. He’s absolutely fantastic and his skills are outrageous at times but his contribution to the team is questionable.

He shouldn’t be dropped as we quite frankly have nobody else anywhere near the level of quality that he can produce.

Howe needs to find a way to get the best out of him though.

9 minutes ago, TRon said:

This is just not given enough consideration. No matter how brilliant an individual player is, the chances of scoring wonder goals, or even creating them are a lot less than when you get 3 or 4 players pinging a few quick passes together. 

Of course you need 3 or 4 good players capable of doing it, but ultimately that's the most successful form of football. 

This is true. To be fair to him, the occasion I referenced there were four Leicester players making a pass, to Wilson, very difficult. I've no desire to knock the lad, this was just something that stood out in that game.

Thing is though, it's frustrating, as in his recent interview he demonstrated an awareness of this, and I was hoping to see some change. His ball into Wilson, in the Burnley game, was brilliant and the kind of risks he should be taking more often.

2 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

This is true. To be fair to him, the occasion I referenced there were four Leicester players making a pass, to Wilson, very difficult. I've no desire to knock the lad, this was just something that stood out in that game.

Thing is though, it's frustrating, as in his recent interview he demonstrated an awareness of this, and I was hoping to see some change. His ball into Wilson, in the Burnley game, was brilliant and the kind of risks he should be taking more often.

Yeah, we need to get to the stage we can even string 3 passes together before we can start looking further up the field to blame forwards. It's just an observation where we would like to be once we have players capable of doing it. 

You could argue having him on is just as much of a defensive play. If we don't play him, the opposition will be sitting a lot higher and the areas of engagement will creep closer and closer until we can't get out of our own half. ASM makes sure the oppo keeps a couple of players back to track his runs. He is a massive potential threat on the counter, no matter what form he's in.

4 minutes ago, Unlucky Luque said:

You could argue having him on is just as much of a defensive play. If we don't play him, the opposition will be sitting a lot higher and the areas of engagement will creep closer and closer until we can't get out of our own half. ASM makes sure the oppo keeps a couple of players back to track his runs. He is a massive potential threat on the counter, no matter what form he's in.

Aye, that's been working a treat :thup:

2 hours ago, TRon said:

Says more about how poor we are as a football team than how great he is tbh. 

And is exactly why it is difficult to drop him. Statistically he is likely our most productive player, despite wasting most of his opportunities. He's a luxury we can't really afford, but one we can't afford to drop.

Still our only proper attacking threat. Wilson relies on service and doesn’t really get any. ASM is dangerous from the halfway line and possibly even deeper. 

What is a bit disappointing. Is that he seems to have gone back to running down blind alleys and not releasing it quick enough. He certainly had a spell where he would look for the pass or cross. Sometimes a bit prematurely.

Not sure he fancies playing on the wing any more. But out wide is where he is best. Has just sulked there under Howe. 

File under moody mercurial Frenchmen that have played wide for NUFC. Love them.