Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

Did anyone else think he wasn't looking at or wasn't aware where his teammates were when he tried to lay it off after beating a man? 

I might be reading too much into it, but it looks like he's been told to play in a certain way, e.g. when you go here and beat this man, pass it here and Longstaff/Almiron/Isak/Wilson will pick it up, but they're not there.

Almost like playing to prove a point that the tactics don't 'suit him' or that he can't rely on the other players to be where Howe says they'll be.

Again, hopefully reading too much into it but I've certainly seen plenty a bloody-minded player do exactly that sort of thing before. Granted, wasn't at this level though...

Don't think it's about him proving a point, but I have noticed him beating a man to the byline and cutting it back to the same area and there being noone there like. You don't want to make assumptions, but you'd guess that if it's happened a couple of times, it's more likely that it's the midfielder not being there that's at fault. 

We all know Burn had a bad game on Saturday, but I also thought he was really bad in terms of giving ASM the ball. He ignored him so many times. 

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

Don't think it's about him proving a point, but I have noticed him beating a man to the byline and cutting it back to the same area and there being noone there like. You don't want to make assumptions, but you'd guess that if it's happened a couple of times, it's more likely that it's the midfielder not being there that's at fault. 

We all know Burn had a bad game on Saturday, but I also thought he was really bad in terms of giving ASM the ball. He ignored him so many times. 

Agreed 100% on that if I wasn't clear in my post.

But I can't help feel that there must be friction there because of it, with Maxi likely saying he needs to play with more spontaneity, and Howe wanting patterns of play rehearsed in the training ground. There's gotta be a happy middle, I just hope he wasn't laying it off knowing that no-one was there, just to prove a point. 

2 hours ago, HawK said:

Agreed 100% on that if I wasn't clear in my post.

But I can't help feel that there must be friction there because of it, with Maxi likely saying he needs to play with more spontaneity, and Howe wanting patterns of play rehearsed in the training ground. There's gotta be a happy middle, I just hope he wasn't laying it off knowing that no-one was there, just to prove a point. 

Bellamy and I think Gerrard spoke

about this under Benitez. Like it was a set move repped again and again. Where everyone had to play the pass at a certain point, attack a certain area etc. I’m sure it is common place at the top level. But Bellamy said how rigid it was and that it didn’t suit him at all. 

I can half see it with ASM. As he seems

to have the beating of his man at times. But where he would usually lose it trying to skin someone. He is losing it from a loose pass, instead. 

His passing and end product have often been poor, mind. His crossing is actually better than he’s given credit for. Just never used to do it enough. 

3 hours ago, sushimonster85 said:

If Willock is out and we do end up having to go 4-2-3-1 I'd actually like to see Max tried as the central 10 behind Isak/Wilson. Let him roam/make runs, and relieve him of some of the tracking back the wide forwards need to do. Play Gordon left and Almiron right. 

Agree with this. Has he ever been played as a number 10 in his time here? I actually think he'd be dangerous there as so many of his best moments for us have been driving through the middle from deeper.

I remember him having games up top in a 4-4-2 or 3-5-2 where he was basically a second striker in a hopeless endeavour - but never properly through the middle in a functioning system.

It seemed like Gordon got more of the free role the other night. But assuming he is fit, I would prefer ASM playing in a similar position. If as expected, Willock misses out and Wilson is on the bench/saved for the cup.

Gordon can help Burn at the back a bit more effectively. Whilst also being a threat cutting inside and also down the line. 

I’ve always though ASM Was far better out wide. But not counting his apps as some kind of makeshift striker. As Ponsaelius says, he has only ever played centrally under Bruce during his time here. So hard to judge. 

13 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

It seemed like Gordon got more of the free role the other night. But assuming he is fit, I would prefer ASM playing in a similar position. If as expected, Willock misses out and Wilson is on the bench/saved for the cup.

Gordon can help Burn at the back a bit more effectively. Whilst also being a threat cutting inside and also down the line. 

I’ve always though ASM Was far better out wide. But not counting his apps as some kind of makeshift striker. As Ponsaelius says, he has only ever played centrally under Bruce during his time here. So hard to judge. 

TBH, I would prefer ASM on the right, Gordon on the left and Almiron in the centre, like he was for Benitez. He played as a 10 for Atlanta and so he is probably most suited if anyone was. 

It looks like Eddie is trying to change his game going forward and it's not working. The key to getting the best out of ASM is to eliminate the weaknesses - the tracking back is a great addition to his game - and then let him do what he does going forward. Don't try to over coach it. He's an instinctive footballer and he's at his best when not being asked to perform a rigid role, hence why he thrived under Bruce. Sadly, I just don't think he's an Eddie Howe type of player but he'll go somewhere else and thrive.

14 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

It looks like Eddie is trying to change his game going forward and it's not working. The key to getting the best out of ASM is to eliminate the weaknesses - the tracking back is a great addition to his game - and then let him do what he does going forward. Don't try to over coach it. He's an instinctive footballer and he's at his best when not being asked to perform a rigid role, hence why he thrived under Bruce. Sadly, I just don't think he's an Eddie Howe type of player but he'll go somewhere else and thrive.

For me. He'll go nowhere bigger and better than here, so whilst you may be correct he needs to learn if he wants to meet his own potential

8 minutes ago, Heron said:

For me. He'll go nowhere bigger and better than here, so whilst you may be correct he needs to learn if he wants to meet his own potential

Agree with this. None of the elite sides play in a way where they can facilitate someone having the type of instinctive free role that people think ASM thrives with. Any elite manager has a pretty specific system/strategy in mind with little to no room to carry one player in the side existing outside of the system. 

His form hasn't been great as he's not played maybe? And he needs the 3 to 4 games to get the match fitness and feel back.

Wondering if the training, overcoaching, different systems, a position change etc are affecting him.  Sometimes the simplistic answer is the correct one, he just needs a run of games.

I mean playing from the left he gave Man City so many problems individually and linking up with Joel especially.  And he was playing well enough then until he got injured.

Edited by Bimpy474