Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

I reckon if Maxi really wants to be at Newcastle, he'll be here for another season at least. Howe won't want to sell him unless ASM is not putting in the effort, whether that's on the training pitch or how he lives off it.

Everyone is just guessing here, for all we know it might be Maxi is desperate to stay, and is happy to work on his muscle issues. But you can't deny he's missed too many games this season, and that will be a factor in any decision on his future.

40 minutes ago, LFEE said:

I find a lot of people’s attitudes about ASM a bit odd. So thought I’d try and Mansplane it 🙂

He’s got a rare talent. A match winner.

He’s under contract and isn’t on a big wage.

He’s liked by the management and players.

Off the pitch he’s done nothing but shown generosity to the people of the area.

He’s showing a great attitude in trying to fit into a new system this season and was devastating and probably our best player until his first injury.

Every time he’s returned from injury and got up to speed he’s looked one of our most creative players.

With a bit of luck we will need a bigger squad playing 3 games a season with plenty of rotation and ability to carry injuries at certain parts of the season.

Going forward if we want to extend his contract he’d comfortably fit into our wage structure.

We don’t need the transfer fee he’d command and replacing him would cost way more.

…Yet still at the nearest whiff of unavailability people want him sold 🙂

(PS We have lost 6 times this season and he’s played only 230mins out of a possible 540mins not being involved in 3 of them and arguably our MOTM in two of them) 

(PPS It’s noticeable in the games we’ve failed to score he’s usually not been available either)

100% correct post. You've won the Maxi debate. All subsequent replies should defer to this post.

1 hour ago, timeEd32 said:

Obviously it’s been a good week, but I haven’t once thought about him, how he’s missing, or anything. 

It feels like he’s had his moment with us, which unfortunately mostly consisted of him being a ray of light in an otherwise depressing situation. 

He’s the most obvious player we could sell for meaningful money and I think we have to if it helps us bring in a more transformative player. 

Gavin Peacock at the end of 92/93 vibes after being all we had for a couple years.

4 minutes ago, greydos said:

100% correct post. You've won the Maxi debate. All subsequent replies should defer to this post.

It's a good post but what a relentlessly tedious reply :lol:

There's a very good debate to be had about ASM's future.

Given his injury issues this season and unnatural fit with the way Eddie Howe wants his team to play, if people honestly can't see why cashing in and getting a player who's a better fit for the way we play has some merit then I don't know what to tell them.

Equally, given his incredible ability and very clear attempts this season to change his game to fit in with what we do, if anyone can't see the arguement for keeping him another year and seeing if another year in our strength and conditioning program and tactical system on the pitch results in a big leap forward for him than I don't know what to tell them either.

Will ultimately just come down to how much Eddie and Allan fancy it IMO.

The problem with Maxi is that apparently his reps are pushing for a new contract and have been since last summer.

The way this season has gone though, we can't really be giving him one just because. 

If they start pushing again, then it might be a situation where we'll have no choice but to move him on.

1 hour ago, LFEE said:

I find a lot of people’s attitudes about ASM a bit odd. So thought I’d try and Mansplane it 🙂

He’s got a rare talent. A match winner.

He’s under contract and isn’t on a big wage.

He’s liked by the management and players.

Off the pitch he’s done nothing but shown generosity to the people of the area.

He’s showing a great attitude in trying to fit into a new system this season and was devastating and probably our best player until his first injury.

Every time he’s returned from injury and got up to speed he’s looked one of our most creative players.

With a bit of luck we will need a bigger squad playing 3 games a season with plenty of rotation and ability to carry injuries at certain parts of the season.

Going forward if we want to extend his contract he’d comfortably fit into our wage structure.

We don’t need the transfer fee he’d command and replacing him would cost way more.

…Yet still at the nearest whiff of unavailability people want him sold 🙂

(PS We have lost 6 times this season and he’s played only 230mins out of a possible 540mins not being involved in 3 of them and arguably our MOTM in two of them) 

(PPS It’s noticeable in the games we’ve failed to score he’s usually not been available either)

:clap2:

There's a valid concern about if he can cope with the intensity but that's where it stops.

24 minutes ago, KaKa said:

The problem with Maxi is that apparently his reps are pushing for a new contract and have been since last summer.

The way this season has gone though, we can't really be giving him one just because. 

If they start pushing again, then it might be a situation where we'll have no choice but to move him on.

????

Just not give it him. If he wants out because of that or is deeply unhappy then that is another issue.

He's contracted to 2026. There's no urgency to sell him due to a contractual dispute unless it turns his head.

31 minutes ago, Shak said:

Given his injury issues this season and unnatural fit with the way Eddie Howe wants his team to play, if people honestly can't see why cashing in and getting a player who's a better fit for the way we play has some merit then I don't know what to tell them.

Equally, given his incredible ability and very clear attempts this season to change his game to fit in with what we do, if anyone can't see the arguement for keeping him another year and seeing if another year in our strength and conditioning program and tactical system on the pitch results in a big leap forward for him than I don't know what to tell them either.

Will ultimately just come down to how much Eddie and Allan fancy it IMO.

This is my issue. He's been able to play the Howe way fine enough. He's not Joelinton or Almiron with the closing down but he's put in a solid shift and done enough of a job for the team. Much like Isak, it's not a natural part of his game and he probably can't do it for 90 minutes 3x a week.

It's not been an actual problem on the pitch. He's had some poor games offensively this season but defensively he's always done decent job - even if it doesn't come natural to him.

ASM plays a direct and intense game offensively. That does suit the system. And he has the athleticism to close players down. He's a better fit than Maddison. Who I love as a player. But Maddison literally doesn't have the legs. I think we need a player that can slow a game down other than Bruno but JM isn't a pressing monster either. He would be another 70 minute man if he joined.

Edited by The College Dropout

Newcastle United will receive a huge boost ahead of the arrival of title-chasing Arsenal next weekend with the return of both Allan Saint-Maximin and Sean Longstaff to give manager Eddie Howe a full strength squad to choose from.

There were fears that two key players could miss the rest of the season with injuries but Telegraph Sport can reveal that both will be able to train fully in the build up to the Arsenal game.

(Luke Edwards)

39 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

I’m not sure where Luke is getting that info mind, because Eddie said yesterday that Maxi still wasn’t ready to train with the group.

Eddie does tell porkies re fitness & availability. Arsenal be fuck Maxi is in da team 💥

2 hours ago, Keegans Export said:

(Luke Edwards)

If that’s true and the team is as expected we would potentially be bringing Wilson, ASM, Almiron and Gordon all off the bench. That’s insane.

Cant believe how many on here are willing to let one of our top 5 players go just because of a couple of injuries this year. 

He played 35 premier league games last year and has been available for 20/33 games this year despite 2 injuries.

Players like him dont grow on trees and he has shown he is willing to adapt to Howes playing style. I would like to think that we now have a competent backroom staff that can help him reduce the number of injuries in the future.

His market price is also lowered atm because of recent injuries.

4 hours ago, Displayname said:

Cant believe how many on here are willing to let one of our top 5 players go just because of a couple of injuries this year. 

He played 35 premier league games last year and has been available for 20/33 games this year despite 2 injuries.

Players like him dont grow on trees and he has shown he is willing to adapt to Howes playing style. I would like to think that we now have a competent backroom staff that can help him reduce the number of injuries in the future.

His market price is also lowered atm because of recent injuries.

I think a lot will depend on if he can show up for the run-in. It would be huge if he was available for Arsenal or Leeds, could make a real difference in clinching the CL spot. If he's not there then he'll have been missing when we needed him most. Not to forget he's already missed the last three games which were big games.

None of this is his fault, but it does lessen our reliance on him, and strengthen the case for replacing him if we can get a better fit for Howe's future plans. Assuming Howe would be open to selling him obviously.