Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

He could of course reject the chance to go to Saudi. Looks like they’ve started to negotiate with us but who’s to say he wants to go there? 

Could be a few twists and turns yet. 

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

I don't think anything shows that tbh, but you're right in that the stats show the opposite 

Don't you think Howe and his team look at the same stats you do?

I hate actually doing this because Maxi has been a player I really loved having here, but I also understand for us to move on, deals like this will have to be done.

13 minutes ago, Displayname said:

I think the only valid criticism of him is his injury record and that he maybe doesnt fit Howes playstyle 

He should be scoring far more often with his talent

1 minute ago, Toon88 said:

What are you on about. We just want this put to bed for both parties. It became boring a long time ago.

Once he and his family see the contract that will set him up for life, he won’t think twice about signing. 

Time to move on. The club are, and now should some of the fans, who are stuck in the past, clinging on to a player who isn’t anywhere near elite, and injured for large amount of time. Absolute no brainer to sell. 

It's reported he already knocked a Saudi approach back. If he doesn't want to go there it could drag, especially if there is another club in Europe interested that he or his agent fancies more. I hope the rest or your post is accurate. I'm sure, as you say, we will want to move on as quick as possible. That doesn't mean Maxi and his camp will just jump at the first offer and he will want to go to Saudi. 

4 minutes ago, TRon said:

See I think even when he's completed those successful dribbles, by the time he's got the ball to his team mate, all the defenders have regrouped because he's gone off at a tangent trying to complete the extra dribble. The stats aren't going to show that, but you can see it happening as the move unfolds.

You really need something like a possession value model  to infer usefulness of his on-ball actions. Total dribbles is not interesting. 

Just now, Ketsbaia said:

I won't accept any negative word about ASM :lol: Gonna miss him loads, think he's underrated by our fanbase.

If he and Barnes end up going for the same price, we've been screwed over.

If its true he's also underrated by the clubs management.

Ginola, Asprilla, Robert and Barfa all satisfied me more than frustrated me.

Maxi frustrates me more than he satisfies me.

Really wished it had worked out for him

Farewell sweet Prince (the great pretender)

onwards and upwards :indi:

2 minutes ago, LV said:

He could of course reject the chance to go to Saudi. Looks like they’ve started to negotiate with us but who’s to say he wants to go there? 

Could be a few twists and turns yet. 

Straight up a blind alley no doubt! :troll:

2 minutes ago, TRon said:

Don't you think Howe and his team look at the same stats you do?

I hate actually doing this because Maxi has been a player I really loved having here, but I also understand for us to move on, deals like this will have to be done.

Of course, but whatever reasons they have for being okay with getting rid of him don't need to be the same as yours.

2 minutes ago, toontownman said:

It's reported he already knocked a Saudi approach back. If he doesn't want to go there it could drag, especially if there is another club in Europe interested that he or his agent fancies more. I hope the rest or your post is accurate. I'm sure, as you say, we will want to move on as quick as possible. That doesn't mean Maxi and his camp will just jump at the first offer and he will want to go to Saudi. 

Bidding war! [emoji38]

I put Robert on a level above the others in terms of attacking contribution. He was something else. 

Saudi is a big payday. Regardless of what the league is like, it's a helluva lot of money. If ASM were to start missing more games, that's a lot of wedge to miss out on. 

2 minutes ago, Ketsbaia said:

I won't accept any negative word about ASM :lol: Gonna miss him loads, think he's underrated by our fanbase.

Even ignoring the financial benefits (which are significant), I have a feeling this type of take is going to look quite silly in 6 months time.

Just now, Ketsbaia said:

Not too sure on that. Different players with different attributes. Barnes is definitely a 30-40m player in today's PL market. ASMs injuries has seen his stock plummet.

It's probably a better long term benefit for Howes system and team getting Barnes but most fans will always take a get out of your seats showboat skillful player over a get the job done goal scorer like Barnes.

5 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

I’d be pushing for 50M, he’s 26 years old,  contracted and is a bit of a one off. Don’t think anyone could argue at 50M as being unreasonable/ dodgy. Surely a player is worth what a buying side is willing to pay? Look what we paid for Wood.

Exactly. Anything less than £50m would be disappointing. 

Just glad if he does leave it’s looking like it’s not to someone we’ll ever come up against or see regularly. Outta sight outta mind. Just need the Barnes fee to be £25+add on now and I’ll let it go ?

6 minutes ago, Ketsbaia said:

Would you revisit that if Barnes put up something like 10G/5A next season?

I'll definitely miss ASM like, always love a player who gets you excited every time they receive the ball. The difference now is that we've got a few players like that, plus Tonali and hopefully plus a few more. Barnes won't give me that feeling but if he sticks it in the net often enough it doesn't matter.

6 minutes ago, PauloGeordio said:

Ginola, Asprilla, Robert and Barfa all satisfied me more than frustrated me.

Maxi frustrates me more than he satisfies me.

Really wished it had worked out for him

Farewell sweet Prince (the great pretender)

onwards and upwards :indi:

I just don’t buy he frustrated you more than satisfied you in the Bruce days. He was the only reason to watch us then. 

I'd like more players that are comfortable on the ball, but I do think the lack of creativity in the side is overstated.  The fact we missed boat loads of chances v the the likes of Palace, Leeds and Leicester suggests it was a finishing problem rather than a creative one. Barnes is a finisher.

I also used to absolutely hate the "if he had a fancy foreign name..." line, but I do find the snobbery towards English players astounding at times. Barnes is no thrills, but he's very effective.

I've always liked but never been truly attached to Maxi, I think because I was so uninvested in us during the Bruce years.

I've no complaints whatsoever if Howe deems him worth keeping, but I could see us doing a lot with any money received for him. On his day he's majestic but that's unfortunately too frequently curtailed by him needing to get back up to speed after an injury.

If we get Barnes and he stays fit and continues with anywhere near the end product he's already shown in the PL, I'll expect it to be an upgrade simply because he best ability is availability.