Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Fenerbahce, on loan from Al-Ahli)

Disco

6 hours ago, Lush Vlad said:

I’m hoping he gets some meaningful minutes against Leeds. Either a start or a decent run off the bench. 

I think he might be our key player against Arsenal and would personally start him against them. 

We won’t be able to press quite as aggressively as usual. As they are good at playing around it and passing out of trouble. I think we may have to sit in a bit deeper at times, a bit like Liverpool and City. Where we had to do similar at different stages of the game. 

I just think he’ll get a lot more space away against a big team like Arsenal and will be really dangerous on the counter against Ben White. Plus, Willock has been a bit below par the last two games I’ve seen and sounded like he was off it in the Rayo friendly and all. 

You would start him against arsenal? We’re unbeaten in ages winning 8 on the bounce I think it is whilst beating teams like spurs away and Chelsea and you’d change the starting line up now? 

15 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

You would start him against arsenal? We’re unbeaten in ages winning 8 on the bounce I think it is whilst beating teams like spurs away and Chelsea and you’d change the starting line up now? 

Because of the reasons I mentioned in my post. 

4 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

Time will tell if you’re right and he does get locked but I don’t think Howe will personally.

I don’t either. He has shown he is reluctant to change the team too much and he clearly knows a fuck ton more than you and I.

Just saying I think he could be the difference maker. In a game where we will see a lot less of the ball and will have good opportunities to counter. 

3 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

I don’t either. He has shown he is reluctant to change the team too much and he clearly knows a fuck ton more than you and I.

Just saying I think he could be the difference maker. In a game where we will see a lot less of the ball and will have good opportunities to counter. 

Get you - it’s just weird for me at the moment because you thinks let’s keep improving and evolving but howes system of keeping the status quo works.

Question is - if he had a much larger and higher quality squad, Would he still keep the status quo or change more?

Thought he looked bit more like his old self today, i.e. some ridiculous dribbling ability. 

Bodes well as another option either from the start or coming on when we need him.

I'd still love it if we could somehow integrate him into the current system so we are dangerous down the right and the left, but i guess we'll have to see if it's possible without losing some of our defensive steel.

ASM is definitely looking to pass it more now. He set up Joelinton with a great opportunity, but it was skied like the others.

We had an intense spell of pressure before the subs came on, so I wouldn't blame Howe for the timing of the ASM/Wilson introduction. The question mark is whether Wood should have started. Wood is bigger than Wilson, but Wilson is more physical.

Think he deserves a start now, like.

His last two meaningful cameos have shown what he brings and that he is adapting his game to look for teammates more. We were so, so poor at getting the ball to him though.

Love how they switched Ayling due to his booking and the sub couldn’t get near Maxi. Absolutely rinsed him a few times, despite being fouled.

Switch Willock to the right and drop Joelinton back, I reckon.

Yeah. It was painful watching us slowly work it to him. At least we finally started to look for him. I don’t think he had a touch for his first 10 minutes. 

Bit of a problem down that side with Burn and Joelinton. They seem to take an extra touch on the ball when it isn’t needed and we don’t get quick ball. 

13 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

My only doubt is whether a Joelinton, Bruno, Willock midfield offers enough structure and solidity. 

If we’re happy with it then I would be bringing ASM in. 

I think we played it quite a few times last season. (Edit: It’s what we started this season with.)

Forest (h) 2-0

Brighton (a) 0-0

Man City (h) 3-3

So think we’ll be sound, even at Arsenal.

5 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

Wonder if he’s slowly being phased out…

Don’t think it’s that, but we were close to the limit in terms of keeping arsenal out as it was, if we bring him on earlier our defensive output drops slightly and we are more prone to conceding IMO, I think that’s likely the reason why. 

6 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

Wonder if he’s slowly being phased out…

Yep. I was a bit disappointed Howe didn't feel confident enough to bring him on sooner, but if that's how it is, that's how it is. He did try to defend but I don't think he'll ever really get the concentration and alertness that I'm sure Howe will demand from his players.

1 minute ago, NWMag said:

Don’t think it’s that, but we were close to the limit in terms of keeping arsenal out as it was, if we bring him on earlier our defensive output drops slightly and we are more prone to conceding IMO, I think that’s likely the reason why. 

Definitely, but the argument would be that to realistically remain with us, he'll need to get to the level that we don't fear shipping goals when he's on - not so much as we expect to get the ball and score at the other end at least, anyhow.

Guest reefatoon
Just now, KaKa said:

This wasn't the game for him to come on any earlier man. Needed everyone completely switched on defensively.

Yep, it was just that simple. Wasn’t really the type of game for him today.

Just now, KaKa said:

This wasn't the game for him to come on any earlier man. Needed everyone completely switched on defensively.

Agreed, but if he was a better player then it would have been, that's my point. Willock's legs were falling off well before he was subbed.

5 minutes ago, 80 said:

Agreed, but if he was a better player then it would have been, that's my point. Willock's legs were falling off well before he was subbed.

Yeah, we could do with other options out wide coming off the bench. Murphy was almost disastrous himself. Just gave the ball away and could have conceded a penalty.