Coronavirus in football

WarrenBartonCentrePartin

4 minutes ago, Miggys First Goal said:

I bet Hendrick is in the changing room reading shit from Facebook and showing dodgy YouTube videos to everybody. 

Nahh has to be Jonjo surely. 

It doesn't help that you tell athletes all their lives they are responsible for what they put in to their bodies so when this comes along and there is loads of misinformation surrounding it then the uptake is going to be lower than in most circumstances. Also when you are at the elite level losing 5% due to a vaccine is massive. It could finish a player at top level if they never recover. Of course same can be said for getting long covid but I've yet to be the same since the 1st jab back in the summer. My lungs feel limited like I'll never breath in fully again and its forced my to practically give up cycling for the rest of the year. Every time I feel like i'm about to get better I've had another vaccine. 

52 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Doesn't it somewhat defeat the object if they're allowing boxing day fixtures to go ahead?

Yup.

They’d be better off postponing Boxing Day and allowing teams to self isolate/not meet for the next three or four days, whilst the training grounds etc. are deep cleaned.

Would at least break the circuit slightly.

16 hours ago, BlueStar said:

Anyone heard much about queues and delays getting in to matches at other grounds this week due to having to show covid passes? Everything moves really slowly in the East Stand anyway because the average age is like 74, so I'm wondering how early I'll have to get there to get in for kick off. 

I didn’t even get asked to show anything. I even asked bloke in the little booth at the turnstile if he needed to see anything and he said “you’ll be Areet mate” :lol: 

44 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

I didn’t even get asked to show anything. I even asked bloke in the little booth at the turnstile if he needed to see anything and he said “you’ll be Areet mate” :lol: 

Yeah, woman in front tried to show her pass and got "That's nowt to do wi' me pet". Bit of a joke :lol:

Will the players be isolating during that time? I fail to see the point of this if the players aren't in self isolation because they could be putting in positive tests anyway. 

Honestly as much as I'd hate to see it the whole thing should be suspended until February. The next 6 to 8 weeks are wildly predicted to be the worst since the pandemic started, certainly in terms of cases. Its crazy to be letting football go ahead in its current state (full stadiums) while all that's going on. I understand they're probably under pressure from FIFA because of the World Cup but if needs must they can postpone that a year or restructure the PL next season in some way that allows them to catch up if this season runs into June.  

Edited by Decky

inevitable they'd at least try to have the christmas fixtures, tv companies might look for refunds if they were postponed as thats a big draw for them but jesus seems mad given the amount of players missing and the number of fixtures in close proximity injuries are going to be daft for all clubs 

I totally agree with expecting teams to play despite all but the worst outbreaks. Unless they faced an all-encompassing problem, there won't be a single club in the league who isn't sufficiently equipped to fulfil a fixture - they've all got stiffs and Under-21 squads, so they will have to use them. The quality of replacements might be a huge downgrade, but 'thems the breaks' unfortunately; the pandemic isn't news to us so if there's no contingency plan (beyond simply relying on indefinite postponements) then more fool them.

I'm all the more insensitive if a disruptive number of absences has been caused by a significant percentage of squads being unvaccinated. Clubs should be educating and encouraging their players, and the players should obviously take responsibility too. 

I do feel slightly unsettled from the point of view of the risks to the wider public associated with continuing to hold massive events on the regular; I won't be going anywhere near a football ground until I've got my booster and feel more confident than I do now about the impacts of Omicron. But then why should the PL put everything on hold if there isn't a lockdown? 

It's a joke that some clubs have tried and been allowed to claim they can't field a team yet can always send out a set of players you've never heard of in league cup fixtures. 

Chelsea had about 4 players out in total and tried to postpone their game ffs [emoji38]