Various: N-O has lost the plot over potential end of Mike Ashley's tenure

Jinky Jim

The article that revealed one of these other proposed buyers (the only other named so far AFAIR) claimed that they were prepared to pay £50m more than PCP Capital.  Despite the fact that's completely pointless at this stage, doesn't exactly lend credibility.

I was just reading the bbc article about the response to the Khashoggi widow, and it occurred to me, like who is she that she can afford top legal representation based in London?

They don’t take on pro bono work from what I can see.

Lawyers will often take high profile or human rights cases pro bono.  Also, when your partner has been murdered and dismembered people are often keen to support you.  Not sure what the motive for the question is.  I don't think anyone on the forum doesn't believe MBS ordered the killing, so it's not much of a conspiracy that people are trying to hold him to account for it.

I'd imagine he's suggesting that perhaps her lawyers are being paid by someone with a vested interest like Qatar.  That doesn't require any specific belief on the case either way.  Someone can be a victim yet still attract the support of people who are only in it for their own agenda.

Once this whole takeover collapses it's going to be extremely enjoyable watching fat and fatter squirm as we get relegated. Bring it on.

Have you not watched the Fraser group advert? He seems to have lost a canny bit of weight.

I'd imagine he's suggesting that perhaps her lawyers are being paid by someone with a vested interest like Qatar.  That doesn't require any specific belief on the case either way.  Someone can be a victim yet still attract the support of people who are only in it for their own agenda.

I would have thought Amnesty International would be a more likely source of legal funding - and AI receive millions in contributions from people all over the world. They also have queues of lawyers wanting to work for them.

I've no doubt there would be a decent number of people here who have or do donate to AI, so essentially those people are (probably) paying for the lady's letters...

I love all the people who seem to be looking for hidden agenda's etc with Khasoggi's widow. Maybe they murdered the love of her life and she wants to fuck over Saudi Arabia as much as possible? Disagree with her as much as you like feels a fairly understandable and honest motivation to be honest.

I love all the people who seem to be looking for hidden agenda's etc with Khasoggi's widow. Maybe they murdered the love of her life and she wants to f*** over Saudi Arabia as much as possible? Disagree with her as much as you like feels a fairly understandable and honest motivation to be honest.

The whole issue of hidden agendas has been talked through at length at this stage. We know Qatar have one.

What I’m questioning is why would you need a London based law firm to handle your correspondence? She could have sent the letter herself. What legal claim against the premier league could be possibly have? Surely that would open up all manner of cans/worms with all of PIF’s investments.

Nobody here is questioning her personal motive, she wants Saudi to be accountable.

But they won’t be. That’s life. Just like every other country who’s done fucked up shit in the past. It gets left there.

Saudi haven’t done anything worse than what most other nations have done historically, they were just stupid enough to get caught in the act where Khashoggi was concerned.

Even North Korea did a better job of assassinating that guy in the airport

My celebratory beers have just took a hit, I've drank the bottle of Kwak, that's the first sign I've had that I'm a bit worried.  Once the La Chouffe and Westmalle have gone, I've given up completely. 

Saudi haven’t done anything worse than what most other nations have done historically, they were just stupid enough to get caught in the act where Khashoggi was concerned.

The number of countries who have murdered journalists is quite short - and the list of those who have dismembered journalists shorter still. Let's not piss on our legs and say it's raining.

Going into the 9th week in the process of a football club takeover process and we're still talking about a murdered journalist. Yes I get it. We'll still be talking about it even when the takeover is done, when we win the FA Cup, League Cup, Premier League, Champions League. I get it. It's just f***ing tiresome reading about it over and over and over again.

The number of countries who have murdered journalists is quite short - and the list of those who have dismembered journalists shorter still. Let's not p*ss on our legs and say it's raining.

I’d argue that the 2007 video that Wikileaks put out of the Americans killing several journalists and civilians and laughing about it was equally as chilling.

The USA and the UK for that matter have far more blood on their hands than Saudi do overall. So let’s not sit up on some moral high horse.

I’m not saying we should condone any of it by the way, we shouldn’t, but if you’re going to criticise one nation right now you should also be able to turn that  magnifying glass on others too.

Owen Brown and Frank McPartland links seem to be getting stronger. This must be the clearest sign that Rafa is nailed on for this job at the end of the season.

For all the noise relating to the Saudi involvement, Staveley and Rafa will be the face of this club moving forward.

With the Saudi finance, Reubens property and commercial nous and Staveley’s ability to build relationships, this really is the ultimate consortium.

Forget all the other shit swirling around this, there is no way the above mentioned do not come to an agreement with the Premier League to get this through.

Happy days await.

The number of countries who have murdered journalists is quite short - and the list of those who have dismembered journalists shorter still. Let's not p*ss on our legs and say it's raining.

I’d argue that the 2007 video that Wikileaks put out of the Americans killing several journalists and civilians and laughing about it was equally as chilling.

The USA and the UK for that matter have far more blood on their hands than Saudi do overall. So let’s not sit up on some moral high horse.

I’m not saying we should condone any of it by the way, we shouldn’t, but if you’re going to criticise one nation right now you should also be able to turn that  magnifying glass on others too.

Are any of those countries buying the club or what has this got to do with anything? I doubt many would want Trump owning us.

I believe that the world is heading towards some kind of global enlightenment. A world where we all live in peace, harmony and equilibrium. Nations and communities will diverge from that path and are all heading there at different speeds and it will take years to reach that point, it won’t happen in my lifetime. Technology and resources are constant disruptors.

We must remember that despite being in the top 15% of progresses countries towards that end goal we were once an incredibly backwards, warmongering, brutal country ostracised by most of the world.

How did that change? Resources and technologies we possessed in the Victorian era which made other countries want to deal with us far more, and slowly and surely we changed.

Yes Saudi Arabia are backwards and done bad things recently, but to enlighten and grow they need to be able to engage with and work with other countries, not be shut out in entirety.

Ultimately progress will slow and more people will die in the future of mankind if the Saudis are not accepted as owners and welcomed into our society

I believe that the world is heading towards some kind of global enlightenment. A world where we all live in peace, harmony and equilibrium. Nations and communities will diverge from that path and are all heading there at different speeds and it will take years to reach that point, it won’t happen in my lifetime. Technology and resources are constant disruptors.

We must remember that despite being in the top 15% of progresses countries towards that end goal we were once an incredibly backwards, warmongering, brutal country ostracised by most of the world.

How did that change? Resources and technologies we possessed in the Victorian era which made other countries want to deal with us far more, and slowly and surely we changed.

Yes Saudi Arabia are backwards and done bad things recently, but to enlighten and grow they need to be able to engage with and work with other countries, not be shut out in entirety.

Ultimately progress will slow and more people will die in the future of mankind if the Saudis are not accepted as owners and welcomed into our society

Just as people tire of the moralising - I find this path to enlightenment argument extremely disingenous or incredibly naive.

Guest The Little Waster

How many countries have we invaded / bombed in the last 50 years ?

Guest godzilla

While it does seem massively suspect that there’s American buyers waiting in the wings and that they’ve only shown themselves now, Winter is highly respectable so there must be some truth in it. He doesn’t bullshit

Why they waiting in the wings though? If they really wanted to buy the club, then they have had more than enough time to do so well before now

While it does seem massively suspect that there’s American buyers waiting in the wings and that they’ve only shown themselves now, Winter is highly respectable so there must be some truth in it. He doesn’t bullshit

Why they waiting in the wings though? If they really wanted to buy the club, then they have had more than enough time to do so well before now

I agree mate, I’m just saying Winter is well reputed, I doubt it’s complete bollocks

I agree mate, I’m just saying Winter is well reputed, I doubt it’s complete bollocks

Winter is well respected and actually speaks very well about us. I don’t doubt he’s been told

of interest, however that’s far from negotiating a sale with Ashley.

I would park any thoughts of other interest until we get a conclusion to this bid.

I would seriously then even doubt many of us would have the stomach for another drawn out takeover. This feels like all or nothing for many of us.

Guest godzilla

Don't doubt that Winter has been told information for sure, just think the information he has been giving is at best 'economical with the truth'.

I love all the people who seem to be looking for hidden agenda's etc with Khasoggi's widow. Maybe they murdered the love of her life and she wants to fuck over Saudi Arabia as much as possible? Disagree with her as much as you like feels a fairly understandable and honest motivation to be honest.

There are very obvious hidden agendas though. This woman is no-more a freedom fighter than Richard Keys in this case - A high profile name who is being paid to defend Qatar's interests. Even leaving aside the fact that she's met "the love of her life" - a 60-year old guy with three previous marriages - less than 10 times. They've known each other for 5 months, the first 3 of which they only chatted.

The moralists on here should rest easy though - her Qatari overlords dwarf Saudi Arabia in any way imaginable and I have little doubt that their influence will stop this takeover, so that we can continue with our honourable lives under Ashley's ownership.