Various: N-O has lost the plot over potential end of Mike Ashley's tenure

Jinky Jim

Feel like Journo's are objecting purely in bad faith to pressure the PL into failing the director's test.

Or more likely they support teams that are feeling threatened by a resurgent NUFC.

Or even more likely they're journalists and have a straightforward duty to report on the issue and ask these questions?

The almost instant Man City-fication of the NUFC fanbase is fucking mad to watch occur in real time.

Feel like Journo's are objecting purely in bad faith to pressure the PL into failing the director's test.

Or more likely they support teams that are feeling threatened by a resurgent NUFC.

:lol: Is this how you think journalism works? Good grief man.

Fed up already seeing moronic posts like Neymar Mbappe etc.

That would actually do my head in players like in particular Neymar who is a total prick, players like him a premadona would ruin a dressing room.

We want firstly a coach who will take no shit! Then players with commitment, team players, leaders, players who deserve to wear the shirt. Neymar and co can get to fuck imo.

Players like ASM I see it in him,although he's by no means the finished article, but he loves this club, and he has a connection with the fans. A good manager will find the right players, nobody would have thought Sala and even Mane would suddenly emerge as stars they worked hard though and listened to klopp, same with Alexander-Arnold he came through their system and listened to the manager and himself and Robertson a Scottish international signed from Hull are literally two of the best attacking fullbacks in world football.

I'll say it again, get the right manager first.

Bit confused by the idea that you'd have to "do this" and "think that" and sort of categorize yourself as a Newcastle fan because of this.

It's not impossible to be excited by Ashley's departure, enthusiastic about Newcastle United once again being interested in moving forward and acquiring some sporting ambition for the first time in 13 years – and still feel disgusted by the fact that the option presented to you is to see the club become a sports-washing tool for a murderous regime. These feelings aren't exclusive. You can subscribe to them all at once. I am.

As has been posted repeatedly in this thread, the idea that fans bear some sort of responsibility in a system like this is beyond absurd. We didn't choose Mike Ashley and we won't choose the Saudi Arabian state, it's not a preference, a political allegiance, it's the dark and sad consequences of international football in 2020. The choice is not about Newcastle United for me, it's about international football. The Premier League, the Champions League – even the fucking World Cup. This is what you get these days, these things and this moral hazard comes with the package, it's part of the equation and the people responsible for letting the football system slide to this point aren't fans who want to see their clubs do well.

I'm thrilled and deeply emotional by the prospect of Ashley leaving. He's a trauma, he's caused a great deal of suffering and frustration for me personally and the football club that I feel very, very attached to. Just because we can't choose who replaces him, I won't deny myself the feeling of excitement in this moment. I'm unconditionally in love with the idea of Newcastle United rather than what it presents me with in a given moment, most of us are. Most of that idea has become abstract and feels dead because of Ashley and because of the way international football has developed over the last 20 years – but some of it remains, and under new ownership there's at least a theoretical chance I'll get to experience some joy again. That's worth feeling happy about as well.

At the same time, this is bizarre. You want to paint a portrait of the absolute madhouse that is European football in this day and age? Take a look at this club and observe how fans are finding themselves debating what to feel about going from a maniac who spent more than a decade exploiting their affection and loyalty for his own good – to someone who ordered a dismemberment just recently.

The problem that will probably arise here is that fans will start to actually discuss Saudi policies. That battle is lost. Don't go into it, because you don't need to. They're awful, but you can keep supporting Newcastle United anyway.

Post. :thup: :thup:

It's perfectly possible to enjoy supporting the club but still disapprove of the actions of the owners in other areas. Those two things are not mutually exclusive.

My main gripe with Ashley has always been his running of the club I supported. I've only ever drawn attention to his shit business practices as a way to put pressure on his ownership of the club. For example, whilst I acknowledge he's a cunt, I can't say I lose any sleep about how Philip Green runs his retail empire. He's of no consequence to me.

What I want from my football club owner is someone who does their best firstly for the football club and, secondly, the region. Irrespective of how much I disapprove of their other practices, I'm not going to fight against them if they're doing their best on the footballing front. I'll let others who are involved in that specific area fight that fight, because first and foremost I'm a football supporter, not a diplomat or MP or Journalist. Let others do their job in that regard and I'll do mine of enjoying the football.

After 13 years, I fucking deserve that much. I'm too tired.

It's not possible to support the club and complain about our govt. selling them the weapons to commit atrocities. Not without being dismissed as a hypocrite.

Well then dismiss me as a hypocrite, because that's exactly what I'm going to do. And I'll do it gladly.

If the football is good, other people can fight the fight against the rest of it if they feel obliged and able to do so. In fact, if anything I'd be hypocritical NOT to do this because I've been to Saudi Arabia 7 times so far with work. Riyadh 3 times, Dhahran 3 times, and once to Jeddah, often for over a month at a time. I've spent a lot of time talking to the Saudi people there, been to their houses, even talked to them about politics and the reforms of MBS whilst in their country. I've already, indirectly through the company I work for, taken their actual money to pay my bills with. To then kick up a stink about them owning my football club would be far more hypocritical than - assuming it's as we hope - me just chilling out and enjoying it after all the footballing misery I've endured from Ashley for over a decade.

I've already shown I can not fully support a regime yet still embrace what it offers me, and felt no hypocrisy at all when doing it. I can gladly extend that to football.

Guest reefatoon

Jinky Jim, any chance you can start another feel good thread? This one has gone to p*ss.

Absolutely this. This started as a feel good thread but today, the moral police have come in and turned the thread upside down. Should have gone to the old Mike Ashley thread if they wanted to cry their eyes out Ashley is leaving for another monster supposedly. Keep this thread for its original purpose ffs. Boring as f*** reading it today compared with yesterday.

Wullie has just bumped the "success at what cost" thread. That's a better place for it than in here. Yesterday was a cracker just reading up on everything, and this thread should be kept for that.

Guest neesy111

If we're in the business of measuring a moral compass, I'm not sure there's much difference between that of Mike Ashley and the Saudi regime.

This is absolutely moronic and damn right thick.

It's perfectly possible to enjoy supporting the club but still disapprove of the actions of the owners in other areas. Those two things are not mutually exclusive.

My main gripe with Ashley has always been his running of the club I supported. I've only ever drawn attention to his s*** business practices as a way to put pressure on his ownership of the club. For example, whilst I acknowledge he's a c***, I can't say I lose any sleep about how Philip Green runs his retail empire. He's of no consequence to me.

What I want from my football club owner is someone who does their best firstly for the football club and, secondly, the region. Irrespective of how much I disapprove of their other practices, I'm not going to fight against them if they're doing their best on the footballing front. I'll let others who are involved in that specific area fight that fight, because first and foremost I'm a football supporter, not a diplomat or MP or Journalist. Let others do their job in that regard and I'll do mine of enjoying the football.

After 13 years, I f***ing deserve that much. I'm too tired.

Pretty much how I see it from my post a couple of pages back. Save the righteous indignation to those who battle it every day, it's not like any of us were up in arms about Sheffield Utd, Man City or Chelsea so why should we treat our club any different? As long as the club and region are treated with respect, invested in and taken forward then that's all that really affects us :thup:

Whilst I appreciate everyone's views, somehow it needs to be sticky'd that this is fundamentally different to a takeover by an individual person because no matter how many times it's said, it doesn't seem to be sinking in.

This is different because we're going to be 80% owned by a kingdom - not a person. As a result, anything the kingdom does will be reflected on us by association. Every time they bomb Yemen, every time they murder a journalist, every time they arrest and give the death penalty to a woman for peacefully campaigning for a modicum of equality, we'll be associated and therefore there will be a school of thought that following NUFC/investing in products/buying a season ticket infers that you agree with the kingdom/are willing to offer your money to support what they do. It's also important to remember that they're investing in us to distract from and ultimately attempt to change the outward perception of the kingdom - sportswashing.

I'm just as conflicted as everyone else because I'd quite like to enjoy supporting NUFC again, but this does come with a very difficult morality-based decision.

This is different to Man City, different to Sheffield United, different to Chelsea etc etc and it's really important to remember that.

At the same time, it's also quite possible that they want to gradually move away from their despicable past, otherwise why bother engaging at all with western culture?

The whole point of it is to improve the perception of them in the west. The UAE/Qatar haven't moved on from their past since buying Man City/PSG

How do you know that? Is it not possible they've moved on quite a bit, only the progress would seem slow to the casual observer? As I said earlier, women are now driving in Saudi, there is even talk about them trying to attract foreign tourists. That said, these are still backward countries, if you have a problem with that, I can totally understand if you want to walk away. I don't, I will happily admit it.

This has come a good 18 months after I gave up and stopped caring, annoyingly  :lol: but big congratulations to you all if it actually goes through this time. :party:

You’ve stopped caring. Now let us celebrate the likely dethroning of the biggest tyrant nufc has had since the last one. We’ll check our moral compasses in due course.

Bit confused by the idea that you'd have to "do this" and "think that" and sort of categorize yourself as a Newcastle fan because of this.

It's not impossible to be excited by Ashley's departure, enthusiastic about Newcastle United once again being interested in moving forward and acquiring some sporting ambition for the first time in 13 years – and still feel disgusted by the fact that the option presented to you is to see the club become a sports-washing tool for a murderous regime. These feelings aren't exclusive. You can subscribe to them all at once. I am.

As has been posted repeatedly in this thread, the idea that fans bear some sort of responsibility in a system like this is beyond absurd. We didn't choose Mike Ashley and we won't choose the Saudi Arabian state, it's not a preference, a political allegiance, it's the dark and sad consequences of international football in 2020. The choice is not about Newcastle United for me, it's about international football. The Premier League, the Champions League – even the fucking World Cup. This is what you get these days, these things and this moral hazard comes with the package, it's part of the equation and the people responsible for letting the football system slide to this point aren't fans who want to see their clubs do well.

I'm thrilled and deeply emotional by the prospect of Ashley leaving. He's a trauma, he's caused a great deal of suffering and frustration for me personally and the football club that I feel very, very attached to. Just because we can't choose who replaces him, I won't deny myself the feeling of excitement in this moment. I'm unconditionally in love with the idea of Newcastle United rather than what it presents me with in a given moment, most of us are. Most of that idea has become abstract and feels dead because of Ashley and because of the way international football has developed over the last 20 years – but some of it remains, and under new ownership there's at least a theoretical chance I'll get to experience some joy again. That's worth feeling happy about as well.

At the same time, this is bizarre. You want to paint a portrait of the absolute madhouse that is European football in this day and age? Take a look at this club and observe how fans are finding themselves debating what to feel about going from a maniac who spent more than a decade exploiting their affection and loyalty for his own good – to someone who ordered a dismemberment just recently.

The problem that will probably arise here is that fans will start to actually discuss Saudi policies. That battle is lost. Don't go into it, because you don't need to. They're awful, but you can keep supporting Newcastle United anyway.

Post. :thup: :thup:

:clap:

:lol: Is this how you think journalism works? Good grief man.

I wasn't really commenting on journalism standards, it was more aimed at sports journalists, and yes I do think their opinions are coloured by who they support. Why wouldn't they be? They're not fucking robots.

There’s enough mental gymnastics going on in here.

I dread to think of how the section of our support will justify being owned by ‘muzzies’ in their tiny little brains

How many do you think are doing the same but with the concept of us being owned by 'probable murderers' instead of 'muzzies'?

Lots, hence the first line of my post

:thup:

If we're in the business of measuring a moral compass, I'm not sure there's much difference between that of Mike Ashley and the Saudi regime.

Not in the slightest, if MA could get away with the things the Saudi's have done to advance himself and his businesses, I have zero doubt he wouldn't think twice.

This has come a good 18 months after I gave up and stopped caring, annoyingly  :lol: but big congratulations to you all if it actually goes through this time. :party:

You’ve stopped caring. Now let us celebrate the likely dethroning of the biggest tyrant nufc has had since the last one. We’ll check our moral compasses in due course.

All I said was that not being happy about your club being owned by murderers doesn't mean you're virtue signalling. :lol:

Yep.

It’s not people liking this, it’s the people who whined about SD and it’s shite practices who are ok with this.

See Wullies post a few pages ago.

Not in the slightest, if MA could get away with the things the Saudi's have done to advance himself and his businesses, I have zero doubt he wouldn't think twice.

yeah but in terms of non-hypotheticals there's a demonstrable, incontrovertible difference between a shady national businessman with bad jeans has done and what someone wielding the full economic and military force of one of the richest countries on earth has done :lol:

Is there anything new and exciting to read today?

Certainly not the last few pages.

Depends whether you're interested in discussing the moral ramifications of the club that is supposed to represent you and your city being owned by these people.

Personally I'm incredibly conflicted and I think it's more worth discussion than "#cans Announce Mbappe, when's the flight arriving?!" shite that makes me want to cringe myself into an early grave.

Guest neesy111

Depends whether you're interested in discussing the moral ramifications of the club that is supposed to represent you and your city being owned by these people.

Personally I'm incredibly conflicted and I think it's more worth discussion than "#cans Announce Mbappe, when's the flight arriving?!" shite that makes me want to cringe myself into an early grave.

:thup: :thup:

Nope. Day started well with a twitter quote about the fit and proper test being conducted. Then its been downward w*** all day in the thread unless your're into moral high ground and human rights stuff.

Guest reefatoon

Personally I'm incredibly conflicted and I think it's more worth discussion than "#cans Announce Mbappe, when's the flight arriving?!" s**** that makes me want to cringe myself into an early grave.

But that is what this thread was set up for in the first place, to have a giggle with it, reading all the daft tweets and stuff and just not taking everything so serious. Absolutely no point coming into it if you find it too cringe. We have plenty of other threads for the deep thinking stuff, was just nice to keep one thread as a bit of a giggle, though doesn’t seem like it’s possible.