Various: N-O has lost the plot over potential end of Mike Ashley's tenure

Jinky Jim

Imagine if they came in and spent fuck all. The levels of fume would be through the roof.

Which would be hypocritical as most fans just wanted ashley gone and the club ran properly before this takeover.

Yup. Increasing our commercial revenue and spending our budget on meaningful improvements on and off the pitch will be a million miles away from what we're currently doing, so I'd be happy with a more modest 'Leicester-style' approach, as oppose to going full Abramovich / Mansour. Not that I'd be against either approach, mind :lol:

I would have no objections to winning everything by buying success, none at all :lol: but I don't think that's what'll happen, and I would be happy being more Leicester than Manchester

I just want a well-run respectable club to support, which tries and isn't plastered with adverts for the worst brand in the country.

Winning things isn't really in my thinking as a Newcastle supporter.

Aye same. If they tidy up the stadium, plan to invest in the training ground and spend similar amounts to the likes of Bournemouth and Southampton that would be such a massive step forwards.

Its all sorted man, money talks, Bein sports will be broadcast legally in Saudi by the re-start of the season and Ashley will be long gone.

Money talks but Qatar have arguably more. Certainly they are capable to offer more to the PL.

According to a colleague, you can watch BeIN legally from KSA through their app or other 3rd party apps. Apparently loads of people watch it this way. Last year, I spent few days in Abu Dhabi and Bahrain - they are also part of the blockade - but BeIN's channels (and Al-Jazeera) were widely available in hotels and bars and it certainly wasn't beoutQ signal :lol:

Just interested, how do Qatar have arguably more financial power when Saudi Arabia's economy appears to be roughly three to four times larger by every measure?

Not every measure though.. The universally accepted one for economic efficiency - GDP PPP is twice the amount of Saudi's and ranks them 1st worldwide. KSA definitely have more historical trade significance and potential though but very little foreign expertise in anything apart from oil, construction and warfare.

The main difference is that Qatar is designed to be an investor's heaven. It's the most developed, most open to western influence of all Muslim countries. The reforms MBS is attempting to push now were done in Qatar in the 90s.

KSA, on the other hand is still a near-complete black box. They simply don't allow any form of foreign independent monitoring on any topic - juridical system, human rights, oil reserves, piracy accusations. In other words - an investor's hell.

Wikipedia, I know, but these lists of GPD PPP don't put Qatar anywhere near first, around 50th actually, with Saudi Arabia around 15th.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(PPP)#:~:text=GDP%20comparisons%20using%20PPP%20are,which%20may%20distort%20the%20real

Surely what is being discussed is the power of the state of Saudi Arabia to purchase something rather than to attract inward investment.

Per capita, of course. Qatar is a dwarf territory compared to KSA, after all.

GPD PPP per capita is not really a measure of a nation's overall purchasing power. Depending on whether the data is coming from Luxembourg and Lichtenstein are above Qatar in terms of GPD PPP per capita, that doesn't mean that they'd have the ability to compete financially with Qatar, or Saudi Arabia, as a nation.

It's not simply a question of purchase power though - even the poorest countries are rich enough to afford the PL rights, if they had to. You're picking on just a tiny bit of what I said. Al-Jazeera (BeIN) is a mastodon media empire in worldwide terms. Saudi Arabia can't create a product to rival this from scratch, if they could - they would have done it a long time ago. It's simply unrealistic, to expect Riyadh to become a media hub, while foreign journalists are not allowed access to the country.

I doubt that would be part of the consideration for the sale of broadcasting rights, only how much money a buyer is prepared/able to offer for them.

Btw, I'm not trying to be argumentative, I've just been comforting myself with the idea that Saudi Arabia are so wealthy and influential that it's very likely that the issues will be resolved one way or another.

I've seen a few people saying that Qatar are now as or more influential and wealthy than Saudi Arabia, but I can't see any real evidence of that. From what I can tell Qatar seem have isolated themselves to some extent within the region and internationally due to the extent of their ties with Iran. Saudi Arabia seems to be far more influential politically and financially, internationally, regionally and particularly in the UK.

You're right they don't need to build a media empire to broadcast PL games but reality is that's what they'll be bidding against. The PL are currently partners with the biggest player in the region in terms of worldwide signal coverage and viewing figures and they are capable to match any bid. All I'm saying is that in the PL's eyes that's a key partnership which needs to be protected.

To what extent though? That's my other point (granted, libellous and paranoid) - If BeIN's owner is the key man behind the obviously huge-scale corruption surrounding their WC bid, then how likely is that his hands will remain above the table, when they have so much to lose.. and potentially to their greatest rivals who have been stealing their content for years.. I appreciate that's not UK's mentality - I come from a place where corruption is literally everywhere so my views might be a bit skewed and that.. but when it comes to large of amounts of money people tend to be proactive.

Its all sorted man, money talks, Bein sports will be broadcast legally in Saudi by the re-start of the season and Ashley will be long gone.

Whilst I lean towards the theory that it will get sorted and the sale will be completed, I don't think the resolution will involve BeIn Sport being broadcast in Saudi Arabia.

I think the Royal Family will want local control of the broadcast into Saudi homes so they can control what advertising materials and affiliated content comes along with the broadcast.  Saudi Arabia is a very-conservative country that finds many more liberal principles to be highly offensive so they would likely be intolerant of any extra content that comes along with the BeIn broadcast.  So I suspect they will pay for KSA Sport to have it's own broadcast license - possibly paying some compensation to BeIn, via the Premier League as part of the license fee, so Saudi Arabia doesn't directly send money to its enemy.

Agree. Like any other country, KSA can bid for the rights and show the PL locally. To do that now, they need to renegotiate with BeIN, cause they own rights for the whole MENA region (with KSA's approval) for another two years, if I'm not mistaken. It's extremely unlikely that Qatar and KSA will renegotiate anything right now - they have zero diplomatic relations.

The possibility of KSA outbidding Qatar for the PL rights in the whole region is pie in the sky stuff. They don't have the expertise, nor the finance to do that.

Nor the finance  :D

We are dealing with kids mind here.

Wish I was a kid like. My username and my broken English might be doing me a disservice here but my posts on the topic appear far more researched than most on this thread.

Sorry if I offended you but what I try to say is Bein was founded in 2014. All the Qataries did was hired Brits and pay them crazy money. Trust me The Saudis can create something similar quickly.

Nee worries :D But that's not entirely correct - From day one, BeIN had Al-Jazeera's infrastructure, marketing, key-partnerships, satellite coverage and management know-how.. It's true they hired a lot of UK sport expertise (and Keys & Gray), nothing wrong with that but KSA can't do it - https://rsf.org/en/ranking_table

I think you underestimate the level of censorship and autocracy in KSA. There's literally zero free speech and zero objective journalism in the country - granted, a sports channel doesn't require those and they can do a lot in short time if they throw money at it, but KSA lacks the very fundamentals. It's obvious they can't rival BeIN's product.

Most media outlets have become nothing but clickbait shite for years now, pay no attention to any of them.

They were clickbait before clickbait existed. Front page headlines almost never related to the story within. The internet just gives them unlimited front pages.

f*** these papers. Praying on our desperation.

It’s what they’ve always done. That’s actually what I’m looking forward to most if this goes through. The potential lack of drama.

I honestly can't see there will be any less drama if it goes through, if anything the media will be gunning for us harder if we start catching up on their beloved teams and the scrutiny is going to go through the roof

Maybe our new owners will have a novel way of dealing with bad press.

f*** these papers. Praying on our desperation.

It’s what they’ve always done. That’s actually what I’m looking forward to most if this goes through. The potential lack of drama.

I honestly can't see there will be any less drama if it goes through, if anything the media will be gunning for us harder if we start catching up on their beloved teams and the scrutiny is going to go through the roof

Maybe our new owners will have a novel way of dealing with bad press.

They sure do :lol:

(...) The number of journalists and citizen-journalists in detention has tripled since the start of 2017. Most are being held arbitrarily and are likely subjected to torture, which is almost systematic for prisoners of conscience.

Journalists who voice criticism or analyse political problems are liable to be fired or detained under criminal code provisions or under the terrorism or cybercrime laws on charges including blasphemy, “insulting religion,” “inciting chaos,” “jeopardizing national unity,” or "harming the image and reputation of the king and the state.”

Everyone censors themselves, even on social networks. Journalists who dare to criticize the country’s role in the war in Yemen, call for rapprochement with Qatar or oppose normalizing relations with Israel are regarded as traitors. Journalists automatically become suspect if they opt for neutrality rather than toe the official media line, which is to sing MBS’s praises. They are persecuted and harassed online by “electronic brigades” that are very active on social media, especially Twitter. The Saudi authorities also uses very sophisticated spyware to monitor exiled journalists or influential people, as seen from the revelation that they managed to hack into Washington Post owner Jeff Bezos’s phone.

More clickbait how would they have a clue about what the intentions or business plans are :lol:

lol it is not clickbait. So far all the noises from the buyers is this is not creating a Man city.

Guest godzilla

More clickbait how would they have a clue about what the intentions or business plans are :lol:

lol it is not clickbait. So far all the noises from the buyers is this is not creating a Man city.

Never seen anything apart from when Staveley first got involved over two years with different partners. Even if they had, as if there going to say we are going all out at Man City levels in the first place. As I said clickbait

Guest neesy111

Tony Evans is well connected a Liverpool fan. I dont think we want crazy money we want a club that tries and managed to be successful.

Caulkins old boss at the Times, no?

Yeap.

They are hardly going to come out and say anything different at the moment when trying to buy the club.  Of course the line will be as it is, it has to be - especially given all the other negative press.

Reality I am sure, will be different.  They will not be here to make up the numbers, that's for sure.

They are hardly going to come out and say anything different at the moment when trying to buy the club.  Of course the line will be as it is, it has to be - especially given all the other negative press.

Reality I am sure, will be different.  They will not be here to make up the numbers, that's for sure.

I was about to say the same thing. No way will Saudis be putting their names to a Premier league club without at least trying to win the title. This is the sole reason I don't want it to fall through in favour of an American investment firm.

Yeah, they ain’t going to buy a club in an effort to make a small profit by just surviving in the league. Success will bring its own rewards and success will be part of the 2030 plan. We may grow more organically but they’ll be wanting to win things.