Various: N-O has lost the plot over potential end of Mike Ashley's tenure

Jinky Jim

Why does this feel months away, still.. :lol:

This broke in January, we were talking about this in January!!! and no further forward in July.

Am certain that's our pre-season completely hindered now. Not like that won't be a disadvantage to perennial relegation candidates already held back by their owner or anything.

Top work PL decision making blokes  O0

How on earth do you prove and determine who can and can't pull strings in the background ?

Well, the de factor ruler of the country being the chairman of the purchasing company is possibly a clue. :lol:

How on earth do you prove and determine who can and can't pull strings in the background ?

This is it  :lol:

I have no idea how this can be properly vetted, surely this means the ODT is totally open to interpretation then as well? How do you ascertain which individuals to investigate and where to draw the line?

Guest godzilla

:yao:

Nobody is banned though as he states and none have been named in the WTO report or in the recent Government sanctions

Guest godzilla

Well, the de factor ruler of the country being the chairman of the purchasing company is possibly a clue. :lol:

Name where he's banned though as what Matt Slater is trying to say

And yet Abramovich's relationship with Putin is just fine............

Not 100% sure, but I think it was introduced after Abramovich bought the Chelsea.

You don’t get to become a Russian billionaire without the approval of the Russian government.

Not 100% sure, but I think it was introduced after Abramovich bought the Chelsea.

You don’t get to become a Russian billionaire without the approval of the Russian government.

Sorry mate, quoted the wrong post. I was replying to one of the ODT posts. ODT didn't exist, when Abramovic bought the club.

Edit: implemented in 2004.

iirc they tightened the ODT a bit a few years ago, the early version seemed literally just a rubber stamping exercise as evidenced by the number of owners portsmouth went through while still in the prem in one season

It’s incompatible that the Govt can say that we can start selling weapons to the Saudis, MBS can see the Queen and PM as an invited guest but that they’re not fit to own a football club.

Yes, the PL is a private club with its own rules but, at any basic level it’s incompatible. The interview this morning was the perfect platform to ask questions about the murder, the rights and wrongs of Govt dealings and whether, as a nation, we should be dealing with the Saudis but, it was used as a vehicle to discourage the PL from approving PIF. In fact, PIF wasn’t mentioned, the insinuation was that it was MBS and the State buying us (yes, I know) and that they’d be worse for us than Ashley (?????). If my wife had been murdered in those circumstances I wouldn’t be going on tv to talk about the takeover of a football club I’d be shouting from the roof tops about justice, Govt influence to get justice and sanctions until the truth came out.

It was a bit baffling, is she trying to punish the Saudis by stopping them from buying us (we’re surely small fry for MBS; he can move on), has Pier’s seen that Arsenal might want ASM and doesn’t want any takeover to complicate that, or is it actually all political between Qatar and the Saudis? In my mind it absolutely is and the PL need to stand up and tell the Qataris to suck it up, agree a way forward with PIF and sign it off. The Govt should quietly or not so quietly start applying pressure as well, if we’re up for selling arms again then the prospect of regional investment can’t be turned away.

Just get on with it. Stop pissing about.

Everyone critical of Saudi Arabia is of course a Qatari bot, as the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia has done no evil in it's history.

The defense of Saudi Arabia is really bizarre, I hoped that the fans would be capable of being critical and/or reflected regarding this takeover and Saudi Arabia, but that has proven to be a hopelessly naive thought.

I've spent countless months working in Saudi, I know enough of their failings first hand (and good points) as a country, and I'll certainly be critical of them when appropriate. There's lots wrong with Saudi Arabia politically. But you know what? I judge the owner of my football club on the basis of how they run the football club.

Mike Ashley has catastrophically failed there.

I'm not a journalist, I'm not an MP, I'm not an Amnesty International activist. I'm just a football fan, and Newcastle are my club, they always will be. Ultimately, my primary judgement on the owner of my club will be based on how they run that club. Provided that aspect is done well, I'll leave the finger-pointing and tutting to those whose job it is to tut and point fingers at those other things. I will probably even vocally agree with them whilst they do it, but I can let s*** slide to a large extent if we're being well-run. And by well-run, I couldn't give a toss about winning anything, I just want a well-run club which tries its hardest to compete and uses its own revenue to reinvest in its facilities and staff. If the British government see fit to keep trading with the Saudis and the Queen will have lunch with them, then why should football fans be expected to hound them out and deny themselves the pleasure of supporting a team which is being well-run and hell, may even win something for the first time in the memory of anyone who doesn't actually need drugs to survive?

What I've had over the last decade and a bit is a shell of a club, with a man owning it stripping all the revenue out of it so the club shops are just re-badged Sports Directs and we get nothing from the sales, we don't get the catering money, half the adverts are for SD with him paying a token fee for the privilege. He just uses us as a glorified advertising hoarding for his tatty, chav sports shops, targeting 17th each year whilst spending the least he humanly can just so he can keep that advertising hoarding on TV whilst stating openly that trying to win a cup doesn't make economical sense ffs. Screw enduring even a single second more of that, it's f***ing miserable.

If this goes through I may hate the new owners for their politics, but I'll take them gladly to end a decade of hating the whole club which is far worse, so that I can fill what has frankly become a void in my life on match days. I'll take so that I can stop wanting my own team to lose because getting out of the Premier League for an extended period seemed the only way to get rid of Ashley so I could have a team that actually tries again, even if in a lower division, a team whose successes, however relative, and however modest would at least be something I could enjoy because the club would be trying to improve. Not being able to support your own football club is horrible, and it's not like most of us can pick another one either. I just want a team to support again, even if I can't support the owners. I just want to enjoy matchdays again, supporting a club that wants to be the best it can be. Football has always been a big part of my life from my childhood onwards, I've been stuck in limbo for a decade and that vacuum has been awful.

So no, I cannot and will not ever oppose this takeover.

Great post and pretty much encapsulates my thoughts on the takeover too  :thup:

Excellent

It doesn't seem to be a one-off thing, the PL rules require directors to be declared every season and they can be disqualified at that point if the PL becomes aware that they fail the O&D test.

Abramovich has reportedly admitted in court to paying millions in bribes, which would clearly be an offence that in this country that would reasonable be considered to be dishonest.

She has shouted it from the rooftop. It isn't much of a story without the football element so noone gave much inteest at the time. Anyways the stumbling block is all about clamping down on piracy and blackmailing the saudis to buy tv rights (aledgedly). This saga could only happen to our club.