Various: N-O has lost the plot over potential end of Mike Ashley's tenure

Jinky Jim

Yeah I assumed the point was about respected journalists who've been writing about these issues for years rather than idiot TV presenters. Don't understand why you'd even let someone like Keys, a bloke who was too much of a moron for Sky Sports (!), wind you up, like who cares?

He's not winding me up, it's simply an example of someone who has a high profile platform to spout a load of rubbish when it comes to Newcastle.

The fact that the Premier League already has Saudi owners who were allowed in without any hint of a fuss is another example.

Do you know this for a fact or is it not just that the issue's now come into your world so you're more aware of it?

Yeah I assumed the point was about respected journalists who've been writing about these issues for years rather than idiot TV presenters. Don't understand why you'd even let someone like Keys, a bloke who was too much of a moron for Sky Sports (!), wind you up, like who cares?

He's not winding me up, it's simply an example of someone who has a high profile platform to spout a load of rubbish when it comes to Newcastle.

The fact that the Premier League already has Saudi owners who were allowed in without any hint of a fuss is another example.

once again to make it clear private saudi owner (who yes is a member of the royal family but theres a lot of them) is not the state of saudi arabia which whats buying nufc through their public investment fund thats the difference and why theres not a fuss about Sheffield Uniteds owner.

Does it matter? They're still from Saudi Arabia, the place with the rotten human rights records, and the place that is pirating games from beIN Sport. The same outrage should apply, but it didn't. I don't recall seeing Sheff Utd's takeover dominating the football headlines and loads of people having their say on it, or trying everything they could to block the deal. If that did happen to the level we're getting rocks thrown at us then I'll gladly hold my hands up and say I'm wrong, but again I don't recall that happening.

Does it matter? Yes it's the entire point. Unless you think the British Government currently owns and is responsible for NUFC.

The paper merchant from Saudi Arabia is not directing the war in Yemen, or decapitating journalists. The state is.

Guest reefatoon

How come Amnesty didn't write to that cruise line company objecting to PIF buying a stake in the company.  PIF have invested in many diverse areas so why haven't Amnesty tried to block those investments.  I'll tell you why.  It's because they are too low profile.  The EPL is high profile hence more publicity.  Amnesty are not bothered whether PIF buy us they are just using this as a vehicle to raise their own profile and to embarrass the Saudi's. Ok so the EPL block this takeover.  The PIF will probably takeover a low profile football club in France and there wont be a peep out of Amnesty because there is no publicity to be had there!!

I know people are desperate to get rid of Ashley, but really?

Criticising Amnesty for using their profile to highlight human rights abuses is just embarrassing, man.

tenor.gif

Does it matter? Yes it's the entire point. Unless you think the British Government currently owns and is responsible for NUFC.

The paper merchant from Saudi Arabia is not directing the war in Yemen, or decapitating journalists. The state is.

It's quite incredible that people don't seem to grasp this like :lol:

Guest neesy111

It's quite incredible that people don't seem to grasp this like :lol:

It's like people have a choice which country they are born in.

Do you know this for a fact or is it not just that the issue's now come into your world so you're more aware of it?

once again to make it clear private saudi owner (who yes is a member of the royal family but theres a lot of them) is not the state of saudi arabia which whats buying nufc through their public investment fund thats the difference and why theres not a fuss about Sheffield Uniteds owner.

Does it matter? They're still from Saudi Arabia, the place with the rotten human rights records, and the place that is pirating games from beIN Sport. The same outrage should apply, but it didn't. I don't recall seeing Sheff Utd's takeover dominating the football headlines and loads of people having their say on it, or trying everything they could to block the deal. If that did happen to the level we're getting rocks thrown at us then I'll gladly hold my hands up and say I'm wrong, but again I don't recall that happening.

At the end of the day the human rights records and piracy are still being brought up, and Newcastle fans are actually being persecuted with the Saudis by the media. What's more the British Government are involved with the Saudis.

If they were taking over another club, I sincerely believe there would be less of a fuss being made in the media. Do you honestly believe there isn't a bias toward the top 4-6 clubs? This "persecution" of Newcastle doesn't just relate to the takeover. We've had it throughout the entire Ashley era that we're ungrateful, we expect too much and can't see what a good job Ashley as done.

At the end of the day the human rights records and piracy are still being brought up, and Newcastle fans are actually being persecuted with the Saudis by the media. What's more the British Government are involved with the Saudis.

If they were taking over another club, I sincerely believe there would be less of a fuss being made in the media. Do you honestly believe there isn't a bias toward the top 4-6 clubs? This "persecution" of Newcastle doesn't just relate to the takeover. We've had it throughout the entire Ashley era that we're ungrateful, we expect too much and can't see what a good job Ashley as done.

the british government (and world governments in general) is a reasonable point but goes way beyond football into global politics. As for the bolded thats pure paranoid nonsense of coarse there would be outrage in parts of the media about SA taking over Man Utd or whatever probably a bit more with Man Utd being one of the most two most successful clubs in English football historically. There of coarse be segments (the sun) completely ignoring it to focus on man utds summer "transfer spree" but they're probably doing the same right now for us anyway. The media is not out to get NUFC

I think the persecution complex is sometimes justified. It would be incorrect to claim that certain members of the media haven't been complete c***s towards the club and fanbase over subjects like Pardew, Ashley, Rafa and Bruce over the years.

In this case I don't think it applies. Any club would be facing scrutiny over this deal.

That’s not because it’s us though. Look at the list of people. Bruce has mates all over the media, same as Pardew and same as Ashley. It’s not them against us it’s them supporting that type of person, remember how Ranieri got hammered after the title season and they loved Shakespeare, Pearson and allardyce are loved wherever they go. Pulis was hated at stoke and West brom but their fans were constantly told how good he was 

:thup: fair points

Guest neesy111

I think the media is more biased against human rights abuses than they are a football team. Just a hunch.

8076896df495291b3fde1ca4adbb3b68.jpg

How come Amnesty didn't write to that cruise line company objecting to PIF buying a stake in the company.  PIF have invested in many diverse areas so why haven't Amnesty tried to block those investments.  I'll tell you why.  It's because they are too low profile.  The EPL is high profile hence more publicity.  Amnesty are not bothered whether PIF buy us they are just using this as a vehicle to raise their own profile and to embarrass the Saudi's. Ok so the EPL block this takeover.  The PIF will probably takeover a low profile football club in France and there wont be a peep out of Amnesty because there is no publicity to be had there!!

How would would it be bad that Amnesty use a more high profile case to generate more publicity about human rights abuses?

"The British government deal with them as allies and the footballing authorities aren't stopping the takeover" is a perfectly respectable argument to make and one I can't really quibble with.

Shit about Sheffield United and Wolves and how everyone hates us and anyway all the journos really support Man United is just tedious cobblers.

Of course it matters, putting it all under the Saudi umbrella would be the same as putting The Queen or The Tories under the same umbrella as Saatchi & Saatchi and The Green Party and trying to say they're all the same.

Guest chicken little
Newcastle fans are actually being persecuted

christ alive, persecution? get over yourself, man

Amnesty International aren't the saints of world charity some people on here seem to think they are. They took forever to change their stance on abortion because of their links with the Catholic church. If they think they can be holier than thou with their stance on a football club, they can fuck right off.

the british government (and world governments in general) is a reasonable point but goes way beyond football into global politics. As for the bolded thats pure paranoid nonsense of coarse there would be outrage in parts of the media about SA taking over Man Utd or whatever probably a bit more with Man Utd being one of the most two most successful clubs in English football historically. There of coarse be segments (the sun) completely ignoring it to focus on man utds summer "transfer spree" but they're probably doing the same right now for us anyway. The media is not out to get NUFC

Then that's where we'd have to agree to disagree.

Don't get me wrong, morally it's right to be throwing criticism out there in this case but are we going to say the media are saints without any kind of agenda all of a sudden? My point is we've seen this kind of thing swept under the rug for other owners of other clubs. Chelsea changed the game in 2004 and (while memory could serve me wrong here) I don't think they got this amount of criticism or attempts to block Abramovich, and the same applies to Man City. The line could and probably should have been drawn in the sand years, decades ago in fact but it wasn't, which is on the Premier League. The fact that the government won't step in says a lot. Do we accept a block of our takeover and allow every other owner to remain without being held to the same standard?

How many people do you think read the Guardian or Independent to read the views of respected journalists? Most get their news from the Sun or the Daily Mail, so people like Richard Keys and Talksport tossers are the ones getting their point across, at least for the average punter.

Newcastle fans are actually being persecuted

christ alive, persecution? get over yourself, man

I didn't bring persecution into it, I'm simply sticking with the tone that was set here by someone else. Maybe I should have worded it better but whatever.

It seems we've all been in agreement on here over the years that certain sections of the media have it out for Newcastle until now because of the nature of the current goings on. Now all of a sudden the media treat us no differently to other clubs? Not having that at all :lol:

Guest reefatoon

Fuck me im so bored of all this already. Don’t think I can take years of this bickering no matter what success comes

:lol: :lol: round and around and around we go.......

How many people do you think read the Guardian or Independent to read the views of respected journalists? Most get their news from the Sun or the Daily Mail, so people like Richard Keys and Talksport tossers are the ones getting their point across, at least for the average punter.

Where have you plucked that point from? The Guardian has a monthly readership of 55 million, The Independent 50 million. The Daily Mail's is only 5 million more, The Sun's 20 million more. (Source - https://www.newsworks.org.uk/) How far are people going to go to continue making these points? Can you not just admit that the issue has come into your own focus because it's something you pay attention to?