Various: N-O has lost the plot over potential end of Mike Ashley's tenure

Jinky Jim

Seems pretty simple to me; there's enough leeway in the report for the PL to either approve or reject this takeover.

The unknown factor is how much the PL want to keep Qatar on side vs a potentially rich new club to add to the brand.

None of us know this, neither do the journalists.

That's about it for me.

So there are obviously different legal interpretations of this, but ultimately the most important interpretation is that of the PL - and they haven't rejected it out of hand.

Based on this, I have absolutely no idea why a professional journalist would go out if his way to shove his version of events down others throats. He's at best got a chip on his shoulder, just a total helmet by the looks if it though.

Correct :thup:

Seems pretty simple to me; there's enough leeway in the report for the PL to either approve or reject this takeover.

The unknown factor is how much the PL want to keep Qatar on side vs a potentially rich new club to add to the brand.

None of us know this, neither do the journalists.

That's about it for me.

:thup:

The PL have the power and information to say either yes or no right now. No one knows which way they are leaning. That is all.

Guest godzilla

If they did indeed ignore 9 requests from the PL to help shut it down, I suppose that does make them complicit and it's also something that the PL would (understandably) find hard to move on from.

Again though, that's something all parties obviously already knew beforehand.

It's pointless trying to second guess anything right now :lol:

Watch the link from the video above of the lawyers interpretation of the report as they cover that

If they did indeed ignore 9 requests from the PL to help shut it down, I suppose that does make them complicit and it's also something that the PL would (understandably) find hard to move on from.

Again though, that's something all parties obviously already knew beforehand.

It's pointless trying to second guess anything right now :lol:

Very little in that report that the premier league won't have known about already. If they've been waiting on it, I would imagine it's too cover their backs if they are going to say no.

After feeling quite euphoric this afternoon, once it established that the report wasn't a completely devastating blow to the takeover hopes, I'm now coming down and starting to feel pessimistic again about the chances of this going through. It's now well establsihed that the PL are within their rights to make a decision either way, based on their O&D test, and I think they will think "better the devil you know" and side with Qatar. Desperately hope I am wrong but that sinking feeling is settling back in.

Easy solution for the PL would be:

Approve takeover

Sell the rights for Saudi to Saudi at a fixed price.

Sell the rights for Qatar to bein at a fixed price.

Auction the remaining rights for MENA as usual.

Takes away the geopolitical Football.

There's an actor that lad reminds me of and I can't figure out who.

looks like a cross between Peyton Manning and Andy Samberg

edit: or a touch of young Adam Sandler.

It's none of them. I'm not even sure if who I'm thinking of is an actor now I come to think of it. Maybe just a TV presenter. It's doing my head in.

It's none of them. I'm not even sure if who I'm thinking of is an actor now I come to think of it. Maybe just a TV presenter. It's doing my head in.

Pirate James Lipton?

Pirate James Lipton?

Maybe a young Justin Edinburgh but I'm not 100% sure

He reminds me of Chris Stark from Radio 1.

Legal interpretation from the lawyers, quite interesting

Interesting.

It will also be interesting  to read what that football law twitter account has to say as he said he's doing a write up on the WTO report which will be out done by tomorrow.

Pirate James Lipton?

I'm all over the place here. The more I look at his face the more I'm thinking of British female athlete.

Pirate James Lipton?

I'm all over the place here. The more I look at his face the more I'm thinking of British female athlete.

Ross Noble the comedian?

I tried reading the WTO report prior to looking on here or anywhere else for a second hand interpretation as I’m usually quite good at reviewing big reports for the key information.

However it soon became clear that to understand it you need to understand international trade law, be able to read the document back to front and front to back whilst simultaneously reading other documents containing a bunch of regulations. You need to understand where the claims and counterclaims are, where the judgements are, and where judgement X might be latterly overruled by judgement Y.

In fact anyone from any side of the coin will be able to find paragraphs that back their point of view and use these out of context.

Having reached that conclusion I immediately gravitated towards the conclusions document. These conclusions are clearly signposted by the people that actually know what they are doing, having taken the other 100+ pages into account to highlight what the actual judgement is. Now while I’m sure there are nuances it is not something we should be worrying ourselves about. Fans, football journalists, even most lawyers as international trade is quite a niche area are not going to be able to accurately explain the consequences of this document beyond these conclusions which have already been made very clear.

TL;DR those people who wrote the conclusions know more about what within that document is important compared with us armchair pundits

Pirate James Lipton?

Ross Noble the comedian?

Nah definitely not him.

Legal interpretation from the lawyers, quite interesting

Interesting.

It will also be interesting  to read what that football law twitter account has to say as he said he's doing a write up on the WTO report which will be out done by tomorrow.

Case in point, whilst these guys know more about the law than you and I, international trade law is a very niche subject and I wouldn’t 100% value their opinion above and beyond the written conclusions prepared by WTO themselves.