Various: N-O has lost the plot over potential end of Mike Ashley's tenure

Jinky Jim

Get a NowTV season pass for £200, split it with a mate/your dad = £10/month.

What should I do about the other games that Sky don't show, which are the vast majority? Should I just not watch them even though I know how to and they're available for free at the press of a button on my phone? Or should I take the stance of "Well I've paid SOMETHING, so I deserve to pirate these ones?"

What should I do about the other games that Sky don't show, which are the vast majority? Should I just not watch them even though I know how to and they're available for free at the press of a button on my phone? Or should I take the stance of "Well I've paid SOMETHING, so I deserve to pirate these ones?"

Was just a response to people saying Sky Sports costs at least £33/month or £600+ a year, it doesn't.

I always thought that PPV would work for football, but obviously it didn't. They should be doing staggered pricing for matches though - £10 to watch Liverpool v Man United, £3 to watch Villa v Brighton for example. I pay for sky sports but most of the matches they televise I just watch to justify the expense.

Would love a PPV option as that would be a lot more cost effective for me than ordering a package with a lot of matches and channels I don't watch or use. However I think it would be more ammunition for the bigger clubs to claim more of the TV money when they can show to increased buy rates to their matches compared to smaller teams which again would make things more uneven then they already are so I am a bit torn on whether it's a good or bad idea.

This is the problem with PPV, or at least the perceived problem. Brighton would end up getting far less revenue than Man U, especially under that model, so the majority of smaller clubs will always vote against the few larger clubs to prevent this.

I don't know the solution, but I know trying to charge me hundreds of pounds to watch a few matches with Sky then a few hundred more to watch a few more matches on BT isn't acceptable to me.

Having one provider for each competition would be a small step forward. The fact we’ve currently 3 (Sky, BT, AMAZON) for the EPL is ridiculous and the fact they say competition is better for customer never seems to work with sports broadcasting.

Surprised the EPL don’t organise it themselves a bit like NETFLIX.

Was just a response to people saying Sky Sports costs at least £33/month or £600+ a year, it doesn't.

That's a fair point. But I'm sure the terms of it say you can't share logins, so your proposed solution of splitting it with a mate is little better than piracy anyway unless, again, you're saying "Well I've paid something so I deserve to flout the rules". But I'll grant you £200 for a year of Now TV if that is indeed the price next year, but I can only see £25/month on their website at a quick glance today.

You're still only getting a fraction of the games though, so per Newcastle game it's still way more than the £10 day pass they do per game. That's closer to value for me, but it still leaves me wondering what to do about the games which are NOT available?

If piracy is to be stopped, every game needs to be watchable. At a fair price. BT Sport seems to be £30/month so that's another £360 a year I'd need to pay to get a few more games legally so we're back to £560 already as things stand, unless I'm to satisfy myself with just watching a handful and missing the rest, or choosing which IP provider I pay and which one I pirate from.

Guest neesy111

Having one provider for each competition would be a small step forward. The fact we’ve currently 3 (Sky, BT, AMAZON) for the EPL is ridiculous and the fact they say competition is better for customer never seems to work with sports broadcasting.

They won't because it reduces their risk by putting the risk on the broadcasters.

Masters hinted at this when he took over permanently, starting with testing it out in foreign markets

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/feb/08/premier-league-netflix-tv-sports-rights

Over here, NBC deserves a lot of credit for making the league more popular over the last 7 years or so. But, they still left a bad taste after pulling out of showing every game and making us pay extra for an inferior streaming product.

A team pass as well, so you pay to follow your team only. Like MLB and NBA.

You can only really have that if the money is centralised.

Which the PL are keen to avoid because it'll reduce their revenue overall. The moment people can pick and choose their games, they'll pay less overall. The PL WANT people to be paying to multiple subscribers, for games they don't want, to maximise their revenue. Nothing will make them reform their model whilst it keeps working for them. Unfortunately, as happened with music streaming and Spotify, and video streaming and Netflix, and video games and Steam, before those channels become available you need something like Napster, The Pirate Bay etc to come along and threaten to fuck things up.

Thus far, the PL are resisting change and whilst people remain complicit in their business model, they'll remain resistant to change. History has shown time and again that piracy does NOT kill industry, it just reforms it into something more consumer friendly. I'm one such potential customer who is presently disenfranchised by the current business model and actively wants to pay for a good quality product. I just won't allow myself to be mugged off for it.

This is where the argument falls apart - just because you've paid for what is legally available doesn't mean to deserve to illegally obtain what isn't legally available.

There is a fault in the system no doubt and without exception everyone on this forum has attempted to view a 3pm game at some point. The point is though we have no right to these games based on law and distribution of somebody else's property. Don't try to justify it, I won't judge anyone for doing it. It is what it is but we are seeing the impact of piracy right before our eyes.

There is a degree of hypocrisy here though. The majority want SA to own the club in order to become competitive which equates to spending money. Why do you think that Newcastle is even on SA's radar? Its because of money and sponsorship. That is the entire attraction. If the Premier League wasn't about money then Serie A / La Liga would be one their radar. You cant have best of all worlds.

To come back to this, we're only owned by Ashley because of his ability to get his tatty chav clothes shop plastered all over TV and for the revenue Sky brings in to him. You can argue that without Sky we'd not get the Saudis, but without Sky we'd not have gotten Ashley either. :lol:

So without sounding thick, sharing the cost of SS on nowtv means you can use the account on multiple devices?

And what do you get for 20quid exactly?

Me and my Dad did things a different way, I dont have sky etc, just plusnet, so I purchased BT sport app for 10 and Dad bought sky sports Pl and sky sports football for 10, then we shared accounts, so we have all games covered at 10 each.

I'm using both phone apps, or BT on smart tv, and sky go app on ps4, it's not flawless but minimum 720p and very watchable.

BT app on the other hand is flawless full enhanced HD.

You dont get UHD mind.

So without sounding thick, sharing the cost of SS on nowtv means you can use the account on multiple devices?

Me and my Dad did things a different way, I dont have sky etc, just plusnet, so I purchased BT sport app for 10 and Dad bought sky sports Pl and sky sports football for 10, then we shared accounts, so we have all games covered at 10 each.

By sharing accounts you're breaking the law too.

How? Were in the same household :naughty:

So, another day another fuck all happening.

Today is a quarter of a year since OTD started. Here's to the next quarter...

Calm before the announcement storm. I've been of the belief all along, that the PL want this to happen for the money, how could they not? Obviously, given the nature of the consortium, there would be quite a few objections and we've seen that played out over the past quarter.

Clubs alone are losing up to £500million-£1billion+. What's the best way to come out on top? Oil money, that's looking to divest across industry. There will be a rebound for the PL by 2021-2022 and growth will only go up as the best players, world's wealthiest (SA, etc) want a slice of the action.

https://www2.deloitte.com/uk/en/pages/sports-business-group/articles/annual-review-of-football-finance.html

This click baity Forbes article sums up the report: https://www.forbes.com/sites/zakgarnerpurkis/2020/06/11/dont-be-fooled-by-the-premier-leagues-1bn-predicted-revenue-drop/#3542f112237e

Think we'll be behind the front runners for a few years if this does go through, but expect us to be part of the elite eventually. Promoted and middle tier clubs will see the gulf widen by unreachable margins by 2025.

How? Were in the same household :naughty:

They're not breaking the law, they're breaking the terms of service :lol:

Fair enough on both points. :)

I'm pretty sure that isn't true with Now TV? Unless it's changed, all their T&Cs used to specify was that you could stream a maximum of two devices from different IPs simultaneously.