Various: N-O has lost the plot over potential end of Mike Ashley's tenure

Jinky Jim

A little off topic, but has anyone received their email yet to claim your season ticket refund?

No, they said they'd start sorting it once they'd processed the single game refunds which are supposed to be going out from the 9th onwards.

Yeah Sky is normally £48/month for football, so that's what, £576 a year for a handful of Newcastle games. Fuck that.

I guess if you place actual value on watching Watford vs Aston Villa or whoever too then fair enough it makes it a better deal, but I just watch us. I have Netflix for normal TV and don't need anything more there either, so I place no value on their "normal" channels either. I'd just be paying £48/month for whatever Newcastle games they show. No thanks.

And whilst I do feel a twinge of remorse at pirating "watchable" Newcastle games, I feel absolutely none at streaming them when they're not even on in the UK. That is a victimless crime to me.

This is me as well, my Virgin Tivo box wasn't plugged in for about 2 years, only just told them to take it off my contract, literally never got used.  Feel absolutely no remorse at streaming given the ridiculous prices and the number of providers you need to pay for a fraction of the games, whether they're available on legitimate platforms or not.  I remember paying about £110 for everything for about 2 month before I came to my senses, they add extra for fucking HD ffs :lol:

Nah, I don't feel a shred of guilt.  Fuck them.

Using my legitimate China Telecom TV subscription. All legal, 100%.

Must know more. Link?

First thing you need to do is move to China, then get a China Telecom internet subscription in your apartment in China, then, using your Chinese TV remote in China opt in to the in China PL package in China.

Yeah Sky is normally £48/month for football, so that's what, £576 a year for a handful of Newcastle games. Fuck that.

I guess if you place actual value on watching Watford vs Aston Villa or whoever too then fair enough it makes it a better deal, but I just watch us. I have Netflix for normal TV and don't need anything more there either, so I place no value on their "normal" channels either. I'd just be paying £48/month for whatever Newcastle games they show. No thanks.

And whilst I do feel a twinge of remorse at pirating "watchable" Newcastle games, I feel absolutely none at streaming them when they're not even on in the UK. That is a victimless crime to me.

Except that the victims of this piracy are now us fans as the takeover is stalled!

Except that the victims of this piracy are now us fans as the takeover is stalled!

Whilst you may have a general point about piracy which I accept, the victims of my personal piracy certainly are NOT us fans. I've never used BeOUTQ, nor have the overwhelming majority of us, nor have I ever paid for any pirated content. The avenues I use are totally free and therefore unlikely to result in the people in question attempting to take over a football club.

Anyway, I've avoided paying for Sky for 25+ years, saving* probably 12k+ in that time. In no version of reality is getting this takeover through worth that amount of money to me, so I still say I've chosen wisely.

* I say saving, I'd never have paid it anyway so I'd contest that this is not lost revenue to the PL because the alternative to piracy for me isn't to buy Sky, it's to just not watch the games.

I think not paying is a bit of a non-issue really - probably makes it worse and I think Colos point is right. Piracy is Piracy and it turns out we are the victims.

SKY is a huge amount of money to an individual but the reality is that they pay for the league and the players within. If more and more people watch games without paying something then less they can invest. They have to make it harder to pirate as the easier it is to avoid paying the more people will.

This is me as well, my Virgin Tivo box wasn't plugged in for about 2 years, only just told them to take it off my contract, literally never got used.  Feel absolutely no remorse at streaming given the ridiculous prices and the number of providers you need to pay for a fraction of the games, whether they're available on legitimate platforms or not.  I remember paying about £110 for everything for about 2 month before I came to my senses, they add extra for fucking HD ffs :lol:

Nah, I don't feel a shred of guilt.  Fuck them.

:thup:

Guest The Little Waster

Near £600 per year for Sky Sports ? Mother of God , thats a decent case of wine or a holiday ffs

Guest The Little Waster

I think not paying is a bit of a non-issue really - probably makes it worse and I think Colos point is right. Piracy is Piracy and it turns out we are the victims.

SKY is a huge amount of money to an individual but the reality is that THEY pay for the league and the players within. If more and more people watch games without paying something then less they can invest. They have to make it harder to pirate as the easier it is to avoid paying the more people will.

Erm you mean the FANS pay , who else is paying the fuckers at SKY subscription money ?

SKY is a huge amount of money to an individual but the reality is that they pay for the league and the players within. If more and more people watch games without paying something then less they can invest. They have to make it harder to pirate as the easier it is to avoid paying the more people will.

Does a player have to earn £300k a week?  Does a ticket to a game have to be £75?  Do agents have to earn millions?

Why is more and more and more money a good thing?

Guest The Little Waster

Does a player have to earn £300k a week?  Does a ticket to a game have to be £75?  Do agents have to earn millions?

This 👍

Guest Gazibaldi

Again. Value. Why do people watch it for free? Because it's not value for money to them. If Sky didn't charge through the nose they would have more customers willing to buy into their packages. The providers always think defeating piracy is a means to more customers. Shutting down streams just has a new one open up. Fix it by offering a value for money service with better features, ease of access. £33 a month for Sky Sports on Now TV is not vfm. Just look at how long they are all holding on to this HD is extra ££ bullshit. It's 2020. HD should be standard by now.

Bang on.

Bang on.

Absolutely correct

It’s not just football, does any sportsmen/women have to earn millions a year. Lewis Hamilton makes some footballers look like fucking paupers.

Again. Value. Why do people watch it for free? Because it's not value for money to them. If Sky didn't charge through the nose they would have more customers willing to buy into their packages. The providers always think defeating piracy is a means to more customers. Shutting down streams just has a new one open up. Fix it by offering a value for money service with better features, ease of access. £33 a month for Sky Sports on Now TV is not vfm. Just look at how long they are all holding on to this HD is extra ££ bullshit. It's 2020. HD should be standard by now.

Totally agree with this but it not a means to more customers - its about holding on to their existing. For example my parents do pay for SKY to watch a couple of games. IF cheaper alternatives were more reliable and easy to view then they would obviously rather spend less money. No one makes money by spending it. If IPTV etc is technically tougher than other sources then the simple route is just to pay.

There is a degree of hypocrisy here though. The majority want SA to own the club in order to become competitive which equates to spending money. Why do you think that Newcastle is even on SA's radar? Its because of money and sponsorship. That is the entire attraction. If the Premier League wasn't about money then Serie A / La Liga would be one their radar. You cant have best of all worlds.

I always thought that PPV would work for football, but obviously it didn't. They should be doing staggered pricing for matches though - £10 to watch Liverpool v Man United, £3 to watch Villa v Brighton for example. I pay for sky sports but most of the matches they televise I just watch to justify the expense.

I always thought that PPV would work for football, but obviously it didn't. They should be doing staggered pricing for matches though - £10 to watch Liverpool v Man United, £3 to watch Villa v Brighton for example. I pay for sky sports but most of the matches they televise I just watch to justify the expense.

Would love a PPV option as that would be a lot more cost effective for me than ordering a package with a lot of matches and channels I don't watch or use. However I think it would be more ammunition for the bigger clubs to claim more of the TV money when they can show to increased buy rates to their matches compared to smaller teams which again would make things more uneven then they already are so I am a bit torn on whether it's a good or bad idea.