Various: N-O has lost the plot over potential end of Mike Ashley's tenure

Jinky Jim

They just don't want to annoy the Qatari's imo.  Took too much of their money.

well yes £500m the single largest rights deal outside the uk. Of coarse they don't want to annoy one of their biggest tv partners thats really not a good way to do business

Once GC posted article this morning they all jump up trying to imitate we know best sort of things. Some of the Journos now thinking there is a chance this might not go through. in particular CH from the athletic said in one on his comments replays there. If we dont get any news by next week I think we will have another very depressing future await us......... grim.....

Nobody outside of the PL really knows what is happening and that appears to include both the prospective buyers and the seller. We can however guess the following.

There are problems with the prospective takeover. The problems appear to fall outside of the strict PL O&D requirements however they matter enough to the PL for them so far not to pass it. The problems appear not to be insurmountable or the PL would have already rejected this. We can guess that the main problem is not strictly to do with any of the prospective owners but with SA and their relationship to BEOUTQ, Qatar and BEIN.

Things appear to have ground to a halt so whatever the PL have asked SA to do hasn't as yet happened and might never. SA could no doubt break this apparent impasse but either are in the process of doing so or have no intention of doing at all. In summary if there were issues that definitely couldn't be resolved this would have been officially rejected already, the fact that it hasn't gives us all hope. The ball is definitely in the Saudi's court, will they compromise enough to get this through? My guess is no, so we will either hear it's rejected soon, or more likely nothing as the PL wait for them to change their minds.

It’s a fair point and the reason I suspect it’s not been rejected yet. The PL will have to get it legally water tight

They'll have to get it legally watertight to accept or reject the deal. I'd imagine they are shitting themselves realising their test wasn't fit for purpose and was really just for show.

at the same time how incompetent do you have to be to be on the verge of somehow failing the fit and proper person test there's literally only one way they could fail it and somehow they're making it worse for themselves by banning bein sports making it so that the prospective owners have no legal way to watch their own club on tv in SA

There is nothing in the O&D test that states the prospective new owner must be able to watch the PL in their home country.

It’s a fair point and the reason I suspect it’s not been rejected yet. The PL will have to get it legally water tight

They'll have to get it legally watertight to accept or reject the deal. I'd imagine they are shitting themselves realising their test wasn't fit for purpose and was really just for show.

at the same time how incompetent do you have to be to be on the verge of somehow failing the fit and proper person test there's literally only one way they could fail it and somehow they're making it worse for themselves by banning bein sports making it so that the prospective owners have no legal way to watch their own club on tv in SA

There is nothing in the O&D test that states the prospective new owner must be able to watch the PL in their home country.

its not exactly a sign of good faith to ban the premier league rights holders in your region while your trying to buy a premier league club, gives the wrong impression

They just don't want to annoy the Qatari's imo.  Took too much of their money.

well yes £500m the single largest rights deal outside the uk. Of coarse they don't want to annoy one of their biggest tv partners thats really not a good way to do business

Doesnt mayter the size of the deal if they think turning them over could lead to a bigger deal.

That Ben Jacobs has put some tweets on that don’t make for positive reading.

Reckons the true number of MP’s (some senior too) wanting you block the takeover is closer to 100.

Good thread here.....looks like the beginning of the end for me.

Not really new. Whod have thought if the PL don't get the answers etc they want then they won't forward the go ahead. Wasnt the position at the start ?

its not exactly a sign of good faith to ban the premier league rights holders in your region while your trying to buy a premier league club, gives the wrong impression

Doesn’t make one ounce of difference, the lawyers will have an absolute field day if it’s knocked back for that reason as there is nothing in the  test requiring the ability to watch the PL in their home country.

It's a better one than allowing it via piracy, especially when they are unable to bid at the moment.

It's a better one than allowing it via piracy, especially when they are unable to bid at the moment.

But them banning it increases the likelihood of piracy.

???

banning the only legal way to watch it is not a great way to reduce piracy

Let's not forget, he works for Bein  ;)

Used to. I'm sure the forum went through this when he first chirped up.

Either way, he's saying it's stalled due to piracy issues, yet Duncan Castles is saying all questions and answers regarding piracy were complete a round a month ago and now the buyers aren't saying what the current questions are related to.

Two completely different "exclusives"

Can just picture it on Monday. ......

Deal rejected by masters saying "its big and complicated with still so much more to work on we felt it wouldn't be fair to the fans of nufc and the club itself to drag this in to the transfer window and impact preparations for the start of 20/21 season."