Positive Optimism - Saudi Takeover Edition

Jinky Jim

7 minutes ago, manorpark said:

But, all of this is only relevant if the Premier League are actively looking for a way to stop this deal going through.

With all the massive benefits it would bring to the City of Newcastle, The UK economy, the Premier League itself, and last (but not least) to Newcastle United FC, then SURELY the Premier League should really be actively looking for any way possible to get this deal passed, ASAP!

Yeah, there is discretion both ways, they could have just accepted that PIF is legally separate if they had wanted to, like they just accepted that Crystal Palace is owned by a company that doesn't have to disclose it's owners.

5 hours ago, Shearergol said:
  1. Arbitration is still in the background. It may not be required though, depends on....
  2. The EPL still need to respond to the legal action against them. This may result in compensation and/or a change to the ruling on the owners test.
  3. There are thoughts that the EPL won't want the legal hearing to go ahead because of potentially damning evidence regarding the ESL and Master.
  4. Piracy is still potentially an issue but signs are looking positive on this (as above)

That's all I know really.

Thank for summing that up, that's all I wanted too .cheers mate 

From this afternoons Chronicle.

A court document referring to Ashley's case, read recently: "In reaching the director decision, the defendant failed to apply the rules in a fair, objective and non-discriminatory fashion and/or used its powers under the rules for the improper purpose of promoting its own commercial interests and/or the interests of its business associates and/or certain of the Premier League member clubs in a manner that was detrimental to competition and consumers."

Not seen this anywhere else….where did this document come from.

5 minutes ago, Jinky Jim said:

From this afternoons Chronicle.

A court document referring to Ashley's case, read recently: "In reaching the director decision, the defendant failed to apply the rules in a fair, objective and non-discriminatory fashion and/or used its powers under the rules for the improper purpose of promoting its own commercial interests and/or the interests of its business associates and/or certain of the Premier League member clubs in a manner that was detrimental to competition and consumers."

Not seen this anywhere else….where did this document come from.

It's in the Notice of Claim in the CAT proceeding. Unfortunately, it's just a recitation of what the claim says, as opposed to an actual determination to that effect. 

https://www.catribunal.org.uk/sites/default/files/2021-05/1402_St_James_Summary_060521.pdf (at second sentence of first paragraph on the second page_

Edited by B-more Mag

The Sun is shining on the 1st day of the new premier league season, Lee Charnaz is wearing his new sunglasses from poundstretcher, Justin Barnes is still hungover from the night before & Steve Bruce is dampening expectations leading into our season opener versus Mighty Leeds United. 

We've sold ASM and failed to get Joe Willock "over the line" however "we are the loyalist footballer supporters the world has ever seen" :dance:

Some weird posters in this thread sometimes...

Anyway, why always with the damn extensions? FFS, like they don't have time to sort their shit out sooner. Amusing that the PL weren't allowed access to the evidence though, probably so they could make stuff disappear beforehand ?

Edited by Armchair Pundit

5 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Well that's bullshit as usual from Jacobs, the papers in fact reveal that the arbitration case is well underway and is currently in the disclosure stage, with a deadline of the 26th of May for filing evidence. It's the tribunal which will be in July and they apparently only last a few days, we could conceivably have a decision within a month of that.

Looks like more grand old Duke of yorking by the Masters and Co probably hoping the Saudis will walk again, I know this is the positive thread but it does my head in.

Guest reefatoon

I would love to know the exact reasons they seem so adamant to not let this takeover go through. The effort they are putting in man is crazy.

Guest reefatoon
1 minute ago, xLiaaamx said:

Literally feels like all they know is stall tactics. The PL just wants to kick cans down the road constantly and never want to take any actual action. 

It really is madness. Would love to know who it is exactly they are kicking the cans down the road for. It's not for themselves. Some fucker is pulling some strings from somewhere.

4 hours ago, Nobody said:

It's in relation to his standing after the Super League debacle. 

"What’s more, following his handling of the European Super League crisis, Masters is widely perceived to be as strong as he ever has been. If Ashley is attempting to weaken Masters’ position or create a division at Premier League executive board level, then recent events have not helped him. "

Don't think that is true to be honest. Scudamore was seen going to the PL offices on the Monday after the ESL declaration, I'd say Masters was out of his depth.

34 minutes ago, ToonArmy1892 said:

So has arbitration started, or is starting in July? :dowie:

The arbitration hearing is in July, but the arbitration process has started. The PL have applied to extend the deadline for disclosure in the arbitration case to the 26th May, which is also the deadline for filing their arbitration evidence. 

I think this is actually good news, the arbitration is further along than we'd been led to believe and is being expedited.

Edited by Jackie Broon

8 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

The tribunal is in July, but the arbitration process has started. The PL have applied to extend the deadline for disclosure to the 26th May, which is also the deadline for filing their evidence. 

I think this is actually good news, the arbitration is further along than we'd been led to believe and is being expedited.

Cheers, can't keep up.

5 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

The tribunal is in July, but the arbitration process has started. The PL have applied to extend the deadline for disclosure to the 26th May, which is also the deadline for filing their evidence. 

It says arbitration is in july? 

5 minutes ago, Pokerprince2004 said:

It says arbitration is in july? 

It's clearly referring to the tribunal hearing. It also says that the PL has applied for an extension of the deadline for disclosure in the arbitration case to the 26th May and that is also the deadline for the submission of their evidence.

Edited by Jackie Broon

11 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

Nah that’s arbitration

3 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

It's clearly referring to the tribunal hearing. It also says that the PL has applied for an extension of the deadline for disclosure in the arbitration case to the 26th May and that is also the deadline for the submission of their evidence.

Current procedural deadlines in arbitration proceedings with Newcastle United Football Club, which are said to cover materially identical issues to those raised in the Claim and which are being heard on an expedited basis in July 2021

Sounds like arbitration to me? 

2 minutes ago, Pokerprince2004 said:

Current procedural deadlines in arbitration proceedings with Newcastle United Football Club, which are said to cover materially identical issues to those raised in the Claim and which are being heard on an expedited basis in July 2021

Sounds like arbitration to me? 

Yep arbitration hearing is in July.

No date for the CAT hearing yet.