Positive Optimism - Saudi Takeover Edition

Jinky Jim

1 hour ago, Whitley mag said:

Looks like the EPL response should be this week, was some doubt earlier it maybe next week. It’ll fall on deaf ears but I hope everyone keeps their shit together when the response comes. Clearly they’ll fight this and sound confident in their position, but the acid test will only be when disclosure comes. Fully expect the likes of Edwards and Matt Slater to paint the PL’s defence as strong, but we’ve been here before lads and know the drill. HTFL.

He sounds extremely confident in that last tweet mind. Hope he’s right. 

1 hour ago, nufcjb said:

Whatever happened to the good news that was due after the end of Ramadhan/Eid celebrations, moon position? What was it supposed to be anyway?

There is no point in listening to anyone who says there is going to be 'good news' or 'bad news' on a certain day, or even 'after' a certain day.

Unless it is Staveley, or someone else actually involved.

No one else knows any 'dates' at all.

We all know there will be good news (in fact 'great news') eventually, but don't listen to anyone who says "when" !!!

Edited by manorpark

7 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I’m honestly lost at the minute, where are we with the takeover? What’s the holding point at the minute still?

1. Arbitration is still in the background. It may not be required though, depends on....
  2. The EPL still need to respond to the legal action against them. This may result in compensation and/or a change to the ruling on the owners test.
  3. There are thoughts that the EPL won't want the legal hearing to go ahead because of potentially damning evidence regarding the ESL and Master.
  4. Piracy is still potentially an issue but signs are looking positive on this (as above)

That's all I know really.

I still think the biggest issue is separating PIF from the Saudi state. Which is incredibly difficult when MBS is a board member as listed on their website. [emoji38]

Just now, STM said:

I still think the biggest issue is separating PIF from the Saudi state. Which is incredibly difficult when MBS is a board member as listed on their website. [emoji38]

If WTO, legal cases we’re dropped and Bein reinstated, would it matter if they we’re separate or not ? There is nothing in PL rule book to say a state can’t own a football club. 

3 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

If WTO, legal cases we’re dropped and Bein reinstated, would it matter if they we’re separate or not ? There is nothing in PL rule book to say a state can’t own a football club. 

Does that not lead back to MBS not wanting to identify as a director again?

Just now, RS said:

Does that not lead back to MBS not wanting to identify as a director again?

You would think so but would the PL even be bothered if they couldn’t link the piracy anymore ? It’s been pretty well established that human rights are not part of the test, so I think it’s debatable. All the PL’s favoured journalists like Matt Slater insist all roads lead to piracy.

On 09/05/2021 at 05:16, QatarMag said:

Eid has been called for Wednesday 12th (so far) again depending on moon committee, so expect something later on in the week to come in positive with regards to news on the takeover from the KSA / Legal / PCP side from Sunday 16th May onwards which is the starting week in Qatar and GCC (Dubai / Saudi etc)

(Just to clarity no contracts / negotiations / legals etc.. will be signed off until then (due to Ramadan)

PL have not got a legal leg to stand on with regards to defending any NUFC case hence the push from MA publicly, he’s in a very strong position.

From what I know and what I’ve been told which has been very clear from day 1, is we need to be patient and the TO will happen. 

Any (Positive) updates now that Eid is over? Counting down the days ....

41 minutes ago, STM said:

I don't think that necessarily means that PIF is not legally separate from the state. For example if the queen sits on the board of a company would that mean that it were controlled by the British state?

I think the issue is whether PIF is set up in a way that gives it independence of decision making, which I belive it is.

From what I can gather it also has very limited requirements to report back to government, less so than most other SWFs that are established as legally separate entitles.

Like we discussed though, I'm not sure if legal separation is enough. The O&D test seems to allow for people who have shadow control.

Obviously we didn't fail the O&D test anyway, so it's a slightly weird argument. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

4 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Like we discussed though, I'm not sure if legal separation is enough. The O&D test seems to allow for people who have shadow control.

Obviously we didn't fail the O&S test anyway, so it's a slightly weird argument. 

But the issue for the PL is they have to establish that in legal terms. The legal relationship between the Saudi state and a Saudi company can only be a matter of Saudi law and apparently there is no concept of shadow directorship in Saudi law.

5 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

But the issue for the PL is they have to establish that in legal terms. The legal relationship between the Saudi state and a Saudi company can only be a matter of Saudi law and apparently there is no concept of shadow directorship in Saudi law.

But surely the test is designed for the PL to make their own judgement? If it was just a simple matter of legal entities it would be extremely easy and there would really be no point in that clause.

Realise we might be confusing competition case, arbitration case and original O&D test too. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

1 hour ago, STM said:

Still don’t think this should have any bearing on it. 

32 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Obviously we didn't fail the O&S test anyway, so it's a slightly weird argument. 

The argument here is that Crystal Palace and Man City have shadow directors so the test hasn’t been applied fairly even if agreed that MBS is pulling the strings.

that wouldn’t win arbitration but it is another key argument to make on the competitions tribunal