Positive Optimism - Saudi Takeover Edition

Jinky Jim

Day 1 of the alleged start date for arbitration, which may not even be today, and every ITK gobshite is coming out saying it’s down etc.

I’m sick of it. You just know that if the takeover does go through people will be straight off to gloat to Jacobs, Edwards etc.

I want to see none of it to be honest. What I’ll want to hear is their plan for the club. Will they be investing and wanting to own us for 20+ years, or is this a build us up and sell us on in 10 years thing?

Will the stadium and training ground get investment? If so when?

What level of players will be looking at, and will there also be an investment in the coaching staff, not just for the 1st team.

How do they plan to engage with supporters to ensure their views are taken into account in decisions, and how will they try to avoid the mistakes previous owners have made? Are they planning on creating ties with local community etc.

I'd gladly see the likes of Edwards get told where to go tbh.  It's not the first thing I would think of doing if it was confirmed but I'd happily view others giving him grief :lol:

Once I wake up from my 2 day celebratory session of course. 

2 minutes ago, Stifler said:

Day 1 of the alleged start date for arbitration, which may not even be today, and every ITK gobshite is coming out saying it’s down etc.

I’m sick of it. You just know that if the takeover does go through people will be straight off to gloat to Jacobs, Edwards etc.

I want to see none of it to be honest. What I’ll want to hear is their plan for the club. Will they be investing and wanting to own us for 20+ years, or is this a build us up and sell us on in 10 years thing?

Will the stadium and training ground get investment? If so when?

What level of players will be looking at, and will there also be an investment in the coaching staff, not just for the 1st team.

How do they plan to engage with supporters to ensure their views are taken into account in decisions, and how will they try to avoid the mistakes previous owners have made? Are they planning on creating ties with local community etc.

well you won’t find out any of that on 1st day, maybe a few days in which leaves plenty of time for gloating at the cunts who’ve took great joy and much piss along the way.

Tbf Caulkin (who I do trust for understanding what the consortium thought) said a mission statement would've been the first thing to happen. 

"A mission statement was prepared and practised. She would have talked about ambition and drive, about getting to the Champions League, about communicating with fans, embracing club legends, funding the women’s team, reaching out to local businesses and institutions."

Yeah the women's team especially needs good investment. Women's football is quickly gaining traction and it'd be amazing for the next generation of girls to play for a successful Newcastle side. We're currently in the "

FA Women's National League Division One North" which is the 4th tier of the pyramid. 

The biggest reason for wanting this takeover is the transformation it will have in every aspect, from the infrastructure to the playing squad, the communication and the local regeneration. Such a shame it's proven this difficult to clear it, and even still it may not work out. 

40 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Price is agreed though, isn't it? Just waiting on the green light I thought? 

Unless it's a new buyer starting from scratch this makes almost no difference other than having a full season in the accounts. 

14 minutes ago, Joey Linton said:

Unless it's a new buyer starting from scratch this makes almost no difference other than having a full season in the accounts. 

Maybe you should ask your sausage from last year who told you the takeover was 100% done?

3 minutes ago, Joey Linton said:

Price was agreed but that was then and the world is a different place now. I have a theory/suspicion that the price will be lower by about 50-100m but he’ll make the difference back by whatever he’s claiming for in the CAT case.

There are dozens of reasons why you might change your financial year end, some may be takeover related but many / most will not be.

The suggestion by that twitter guy that it may be an attempt to inflate your results for the benefit of a buyer (whether a new or an existing one) doesn't really make any sense though.

The idea that you can make yourself seem better off by adding an extra months worth of revenue would be seen through by any half capable accountant which any serious or even prospective buyer would employ a team of.

So, I think that particular line of argument makes no sense as to the status of any takeover, yes or no, and isn't worth arguing about. 

1 minute ago, Abacus said:

There are dozens of reasons why you might change your financial year end, some may be takeover related but many / most will not be.

The suggestion by that twitter guy that it may be an attempt to inflate your results for the benefit of a buyer (whether a new or an existing one) doesn't really make any sense though.

The idea that you can make yourself seem better off by adding an extra months worth of revenue would be seen through by any half capable accountant which any serious or even prospective buyer would employ a team of.

So, I think that particular line of argument makes no sense as to the status of any takeover, yes or no, and isn't worth arguing about. 

Thanks. I was going to say surely shifting a month from next year into this year wouldn't affect a price? Especially when that information is now a year old anyway? 

2 minutes ago, Stifler said:

Ashley does it year in year out with all of his businesses, NUFC included, it has nothing to do with any proposed takeover.

The club accounts have been done up to the end of June for the least 15 year so it's hardly year in year out changes for NUFC. 

There isnt an obvious reason for the change, sports direct has an April year end so its not to align there and July has no operating activity that would influence the accounts - you wouldn't be able to show any income from next season as no games have taken place. 

Potentially divided or tax purposes related to the takeover, especially if previous years tax losses are expiring. Have to say though I'm not a tax expert but I think that there are mechanisms in tax computations that prevent accounting dates being used to manipulate tax, other than for timing of payments. 

On balance of probabilities if say its to manage longer term tax positions or to manage dividends for the takeover

11 minutes ago, Joey Linton said:

Thanks. I was going to say surely shifting a month from next year into this year wouldn't affect a price? Especially when that information is now a year old anyway? 

It shouldn't do, no.

In theory, it could be more complex, because sometimes a transaction price is based on unaudited numbers and projections, and can then flex based on actuals or revised forecasts, and that flexing would be built into any agreement.

You often also want to know if there are any hidden liabilities that could creep out of the woodwork, so you give yourself some price flex for that too -i.e. you can go back and recoup some of what you've paid.

But that's just general stuff. It's likely totally irrelevant to changing the accounting period, because, as I say, that doesn't change your underlying business. 

One thing it does do, is change when you have to file your accounts with Companies House. There are plenty of valid reasons to do that as well, as I say.

3 minutes ago, Abacus said:

It shouldn't do, no.

In theory, it could be more complex, because sometimes a transaction price is based on unaudited numbers and projections, and can then flex based on actuals or revised forecasts, and that flexing would be built into any agreement.

You often also want to know if there are any hidden liabilities that could creep out of the woodwork, so you give yourself some price flex for that too -i.e. you can go back and recoup some of what you've paid.

But that's just general stuff. It's likely totally irrelevant to changing the accounting period, because, as I say, that doesn't change your underlying business. 

One thing it does do, is change when you have to file your accounts with Companies House. There are plenty of valid reasons to do that as well, as I say.

Thanks again. 

10 minutes ago, Abacus said:

It shouldn't do, no.

He's have 8 months to do it if this was just to change the filing date. 

Although it's easy to change the date, you don't do it without a reason. If nothing else the timing is odd

11 minutes ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

Although it's easy to change the date, you don't do it without a reason. If nothing else the timing is odd

Is it not likely just to get the full 38 game season included? 

5 minutes ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

Oh agreed.

1 minute ago, Joey Linton said:

Is it not likely just to get the full 38 game season included? 

Moving it from June to July has no impact on this. 

1st July to 30 June includes all 38 games of the 2020/21 season already, you'd need to move it to August to have any of 2021/22 included. 

Even then you would only show a proportion of the income anyway, if you assume you get £38m for the season that's £1m a game so you would only have £1m x the number of games before your year end. It wouldn't be worth it

3 minutes ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

Moving it from June to July has no impact on this. 

1st July to 30 June includes all 38 games of the 2020/21 season already, you'd need to move it to August to have any of 2021/22 included. 

Even then you would only show a proportion of the income anyway, if you assume you get £38m for the season that's £1m a game so you would only have £1m x the number of games before your year end. It wouldn't be worth it

Are these not the 19/20 season accounts? The season that finished in the July?