Positive Optimism - Saudi Takeover Edition

Jinky Jim

42 minutes ago, Joey Linton said:

Are these not the 19/20 season accounts? The season that finished in the July? 

Yes, I can actually see a valid reason to delay the accounts in that case.

I mean, it could have been done a lot earlier, but still, that's just admin. It will probably just be Charnley struggling to work the fax machine, or else people just generally thinking about Covid instead.

But actually, it probably makes sense.

I was thinking it could be to align with MASH Holdings or somesuch. But that runs till the end of April, so it's not that.

I don't think it's to impress anyone takeover wise, because they'd have to be thick to fall for that.

Perhaps Mike is up with Good Governance and financial transparency now, and if so, good luck and well done to him.

31 minutes ago, Abacus said:

Yes, I can actually see a valid reason to delay the accounts in that case.

I mean, it could have been done a lot earlier, but still, that's just admin. It will probably just be Charnley struggling to work the fax machine, or else people just generally thinking about Covid instead.

But actually, it probably makes sense.

I was thinking it could be to align with MASH Holdings or somesuch. But that runs till the end of April, so it's not that.

I don't think it's to impress anyone takeover wise, because they'd have to be thick to fall for that.

Perhaps Mike is up with Good Governance and financial transparency now, and if so, good luck and well done to him.

Just had a thought, and it's the opposite of your last paragraph... 

Don't the FFP rules allow a couple of years profits to be taken into account for the current year spending? So if the new owners have indicated high spend this summer they would need accounts for 2019/20 to be as good as possible for this purpose. 

I'm not up to speed at all with fair play regs but I don't see any reason for moving the accounting date other than some devious plot. You would get away with a loss in 2019/20 and just put 'Covid' in every explanatory note

FFP's being completely reworked apparently. https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/mar/25/football-financial-fair-play-rules-to-be-ripped-up-after-covid-crisis https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/lower-fees-and-wages-in-revamp-of-financial-fair-play-rules-9kmkrm70h

"The break-even rule, the way it works now it looks backwards: it performs an assessment of a situation in the past [looking at profit and loss over three previous seasons]. The pandemic represents such an abrupt change that looking to the past is becoming purposeless."

"Uefa says it will completely overhaul its Financial Fair Play rules and that it wants to reduce wages and transfer fees to “acceptable levels” rather than obliging clubs to break even."

Just now, nbthree3 said:

FFP's being completely reworked apparently. https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/mar/25/football-financial-fair-play-rules-to-be-ripped-up-after-covid-crisis https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/lower-fees-and-wages-in-revamp-of-financial-fair-play-rules-9kmkrm70h

"The break-even rule, the way it works now it looks backwards: it performs an assessment of a situation in the past [looking at profit and loss over three previous seasons]. The pandemic represents such an abrupt change that looking to the past is becoming purposeless."

"Uefa says it will completely overhaul its Financial Fair Play rules and that it wants to reduce wages and transfer fees to “acceptable levels” rather than obliging clubs to break even."

I saw that, but it's not been enacted yet has it? I could see UEFA using this as mitigation for a year or 2 rather than ripping the whole rule book up

21 minutes ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

Just had a thought, and it's the opposite of your last paragraph... 

Don't the FFP rules allow a couple of years profits to be taken into account for the current year spending? So if the new owners have indicated high spend this summer they would need accounts for 2019/20 to be as good as possible for this purpose. 

I'm not up to speed at all with fair play regs but I don't see any reason for moving the accounting date other than some devious plot. You would get away with a loss in 2019/20 and just put 'Covid' in every explanatory note

PL FFP is over the past three accounting years, allowing a loss of up to £105m over those three years, but 19/20 is excluded from that. Could we possibly be pushing losses into that accounting period to help with FFP?

Edited by Jackie Broon

9 hours ago, Jackie Broon said:

PL FFP is over the past three accounting years, allowing a loss of up to £105m over those three years, but 19/20 is excluded from that. Could we possibly be pushing losses into that accounting period to help with FFP?

Possibly, but with Southampton pushing £20m of revenue into 2020/2021 due to the games last July I can't see how you build that much cost to also push in.

Wages for the likes of Rose up to 31st July, writing down contract values for anyone we released on a free either last summer or who didn't feature in last seasons squad maybe.

What was the timing on signing Hendrick and Fraser last year in particular - probably significant agents fees involved there.

I'm totally convinced something is going on where an extra month last year makes a difference, I just can't work out exactly what! I'm still convinced that it hasn't been done 'just because he's a WUM' or because he wants 2019/2020 to look 'good', would be better to get the accounts team to pull their finger out and get 2020/2021 done quickly

I think it’s simply that you get an extra three months to file the accounts if you make a change to the year end. 

The due date will update shortly I would imagine.

Edited by Broadsword

Just now, Broadsword said:

I think it’s simply that you get an extra three months to file the accounts if you make a change to the year end. 

It'll take him that long using only fingers and toes to do the sums

1 minute ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

It's £150 fine for filing late, doubt he'd care about that

Woah...careful there...that would buy a couple of extra wheely bins for the training ground. Investment 

Maybe hes trying to save on the corporation tax bill??

When my accountant filed my companies tax return I was informed I had 1 month to pay the corporation tax due.

So if the accounts are filed as late as possible, maybe PIF would be the new owners by the time its to be paid??

1 minute ago, Lazarus said:

Maybe hes trying to save on the corporation tax bill??

When my accountant filed my companies tax return I was informed I had 1 month to pay the corporation tax due.

So if the accounts are filed as late as possible, maybe PIF would be the new owners by the time its to be paid??

Far too clever for our lot...best to assume incompetence

Another day ticks by , howay man is this fucking going through or what .

what a fuck on 😂

come on  PL tonight would be a great time to bury the news 👍

Edited by GWN