Die Bundesliga

Paully

If you cant watch football without fans in the stands then you probably dont like football.

I've watched football in practically empty grounds, big and small. From the Northern League to the Korean third tier. The difference is that there is still some people there who are engaged, and being at the side of the pitch or in a ground is a totally different experience to watching on TV.

Personally I find watching a Bundesliga derby, where there should be 80,000 people there, instead being completely empty and silent, just depressing. And it absolutely will change the intensity and context of a game. Perhaps to favour the technical teams - little surprise this was Dortmund's biggest win in about 50 years. The idea that I don't like football because I can't enjoy such an inhibited version of the real thing is nonsense. I could equally apply the same to you for being able to do so. But I didn't do that, it's each to their own.

If you cant watch football without fans in the stands then you probably dont like football.

I've watched football in practically empty grounds, big and small. From the Northern League to the Korean third tier. The difference is that there is still some people there who are engaged, and being at the side of the pitch or in a ground is a totally different experience to watching on TV.

Personally I find watching a Bundesliga derby, where there should be 80,000 people there, instead being completely empty and silent, just depressing. And it absolutely will change the intensity and context of a game. Perhaps to favour the technical teams - little surprise this was Dortmund's biggest win in about 50 years. The idea that I don't like football because I can't enjoy such an inhibited version of the real thing is nonsense. I could equally apply the same to you for being able to do so. But I didn't do that, it's each to their own.

Agreed. I was never good enough at football to find out, but playing basketball in front of a big crowd is always completely different than an empty gym, even when everyone is a high level player. The size and complexion of the crowd is important aslo, loud and intimidating crowds deeply affect the adrenaline rates, nerves, and decision-making of even the best players. The return of Bundesliga was welcome, but the matches I saw (Schalke-Dortmund, Koln-Mainz and Bayern-Union Berlin) were mostly rubbish, tbh. It reminded me of watching a training match or a pickup/kickabout game between high quality players. Part of the problem was that 4 or the 6 sides I mentioned looked well off the pace (even Bayern were a bit labored), so maybe things will improve with time with more training and preparation. Also, it is a small thing, but the muted celebrations were odd as well. Very odd to see someone score and important goal and be met with scattered clapping and strange forearm taps from the other players.

Dortmund won 4-0 only two months ago, wtf are you on about? :lol:

Try hoying this on in the background this weekend and see if it helps :lol:

There's a third option you forgot to include by the way, which is that you can enjoy watching football both with and without crowd.

As a television viewer, it doesn't matter if there's an audience at the stadium or not, it's all just still football, so I understand where Conjo is coming from.

For the players, it'll matter, which in turn will have an effect on the quality the television viewer gets to experience, so I also understand where Sewelly is coming from.