Callum Wilson

Strawberry

Excited to see what he can do with some proper coaching again. Thought he was really good against Arsenal, trying that long range lob and all, looked absolutely desperate to score loads. We need to sign a striker cos he can't be relied upon to stay fit unfortunately but hope he gets a chance

2 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

Excited to see what he can do with some proper coaching again. Thought he was really good against Arsenal, trying that long range lob and all, looked absolutely desperate to score loads. We need to sign a striker cos he can't be relied upon to stay fit unfortunately but hope he gets a chance

Wonder if the plan is Wilson with Ekitike as back up and even possibly Paqueta as he has played up front before.

12 minutes ago, madras said:

TBF the player takes a lot of the blame for the situation as well.

yeah but he's gonna do what his missus says.

briucey maybe should have put his foot down

allegedley the house hunting hasnt been going well as his wife hasnt liked any of the properties seen.

just know someone involved with the property searches.

1 minute ago, huss9 said:

yeah but he's gonna do what his missus says.

briucey maybe should have put his foot down

allegedley the house hunting hasnt been going well as his wife hasnt liked any of the properties seen.

just know someone involved with the property searches.

Whys he going to do what his Mrs says and I'm sure, given their budget they could find somewhere more than suitable. Unless of course "being in Poole" is one of the stipulations.

Guest reefatoon

Love the guy, but I would be massively apprehensive going into the season as him as our main striker. The last thing we need is a few games in having to rely on players like Wood again.  Bit of a dilemma as he is a great striker but his game return is piss poor.  If this no travelling up and down the county works though and he has an injury free season, I'd be over the moon for him to be the main man. Going to be a gamble.

Edited by reefatoon

2 hours ago, huss9 said:

blame Bruce. wtf was he thinking letting Wilson do that.

Funnily enough, Bruce has insisted now that all West Brom players need to move to be near to the training ground so they don't travel long distances.

So he clear knows this could be a problem, but still didn't do anything about it for us.

He also excluded himself from this new rule of course, because he still wants to live in the North West.

2 hours ago, madras said:

Wonder if the plan is Wilson with Ekitike as back up and even possibly Paqueta as he has played up front before.

Been saying for a while that I think this is the most likely scenario, im pretty sure Wilson we be our first choice for next season at least 

Quite encouraged that he is moving his family up here from Dorset, if nothing else it shows how badly he wants to be here now that we have a new regime in charge.

Wilson was virtually unplayable against Arsenal, genuinely looked top quality and the best he's played for us all season. Shows what motivation and desire does. He knew what he was dong that night - he looked like a 50m all-action CF. 

Aye, I was seriously impressed with him in the last couple of games tbh, to the extent that, if he keeps that level of performance up, there's no reason why he doesn't have a chance of getting in the England squad.

I've always been a bit of a doubter but I think it's cos I didn't want to like him, what with him doing Bruce a favour every other time he played. :lol: But I can't believe how effective he's been in terms of bringing the ball down and bullying defenders.

I've harped on about it already but if he'd found the inside of the post with that long range strike against Arsenal, I genuinely think we'd have been talking one of the best Newcastle goals of this century; certainly up there with the likes of Cisse and Robert, cos why not? It wasn't just hit and hope; he had the initiative in the first place to see the chance, the strength to hold off the defender, the technique to bring it down and shape to shoot, and then the technique on the shot itself was almost impeccable too - to get it up and over at such range but to keep it down as well. Was so unlucky, would've been a special goal. 

13 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Was so unlucky, would've been a special goal. 

Reminds me of when Oba Martins smashed the crossbar against Liverpool, which felt like it was from about the half-way line. Could be remembering that way wrong, however :lol:

18 minutes ago, SiLvOR said:

Reminds me of when Oba Martins smashed the crossbar against Liverpool, which felt like it was from about the half-way line. Could be remembering that way wrong, however :lol:

Aye, I had the same effort in me head tbh. Would've been his best for us has that gone in tbh. 

He's class, when fit. But he's started 39 league games out of a possible 76 since he signed for us. If we're relying on him being the main guy next season then something will have gone wrong in the summer imo.

I love Callum Wilson. I think he's great. So tough and determined! Look at him grill Miggy after blasting that one over. The man wants to score goals.

When we got him, I thought Wilson was like Jermaine Defoe, but he's actually much better, much more than a smart-moving moocher. He's more like (post-peak) Jamie Vardy, who is himself underrated, basically because he plays for Leicester. If you look at the last four seasons, here's the chart. It's two seasons of Wilson under Howe at Bournemouth (one the relegation season), one and a bit  seasons under Bruce, and the last two games for us under Howe. In those four seasons, he's only played 11% fewer minutes than Vardy despite the well-documented injuries.

1805386645_vardy-wilsonlastfourseasons.thumb.jpg.443c85d21fcefcc7536e484ee21373c5.jpg

In the chart Vardy shoots more (Sh90) and scores more (G90), but some of that will be playing for a better team. Vardy is a better finisher, but only just.

1 hour ago, Yorkie said:

Aye, I was seriously impressed with him in the last couple of games tbh, to the extent that, if he keeps that level of performance up, there's no reason why he doesn't have a chance of getting in the England squad.

I've always been a bit of a doubter but I think it's cos I didn't want to like him, what with him doing Bruce a favour every other time he played. :lol: But I can't believe how effective he's been in terms of bringing the ball down and bullying defenders.

I've harped on about it already but if he'd found the inside of the post with that long range strike against Arsenal, I genuinely think we'd have been talking one of the best Newcastle goals of this century; certainly up there with the likes of Cisse and Robert, cos why not? It wasn't just hit and hope; he had the initiative in the first place to see the chance, the strength to hold off the defender, the technique to bring it down and shape to shoot, and then the technique on the shot itself was almost impeccable too - to get it up and over at such range but to keep it down as well. Was so unlucky, would've been a special goal. 

Every time i watch that i still think the ball is going in but then the balls rotation curves it away :lol:

5 hours ago, TRon said:

Quite encouraged that he is moving his family up here from Dorset, if nothing else it shows how badly he wants to be here now that we have a new regime in charge.

i think its the world cup.