Callum Wilson

Strawberry

He’s so good at holding the ball up, transformed our play. Instead of lofting balls to Wood who’d head them down to no one, we kept the ball on the ground for most of the match. Was a sign of things to come in terms of the type of football we’ll play under Eddie and I loved it 

Was like he was out to prove a point tonight. Just set the tone right from the start, from the team huddle to when he went off. Absolutely phenomenal performance. Arguably one of his best for us and he didn’t even score.

Must've watched the replay about 10 times before I realised he didn't actually get a touch on the first goal. :lol:

Cracking performance, like. If only he could play a whole season. 

Some absolutely beautiful chest control from one of Dubravka's long punts up field. Chested it and turned to the direction of the goal all in one motion. Might seem basic but when you've got a player with control like that, you can create opportunities much faster than you usually would. 

Edited by Astroblack

We definitely need a more reliable starting striker because of his injury issues but that might be the best SJP performance from a forward in our colours without a goal since Viduka against Boro in ‘09. Superb threat through. 

10 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

We definitely need a more reliable starting striker because of his injury issues but that might be the best SJP performance from a forward in our colours without a goal since Viduka against Boro in ‘09. Superb threat through. 

That's the kicker... For that reason we should be looking to make him our second choice forward next season. But it will take a hell of a purchase to push him into that slot.

His main injuries under Bruce were hamstrings, which I suspect can be managed with better training than a fat slob giving the lads days off.

I think Wilson is brilliant and good enough for top six. Stats nerds will know this but he only averages nine passes a game, easily lowest in the team. Against Arsenal, he only managed six (!!!) in such a commanding performance. So the "holdup play" one is a mirage. He causes defenders all kinds of trouble, but its not by holding up the ball and laying it off. It's more by making great runs, creating space, and shooting himself.