Callum Wilson: back in full training

Strawberry

Can't believe it's taken us this long to have this debate! :cheesy:

Isak is the most talented since Shearer but it's basically impossible at this point to claim anyone else has contributed more than Wilson. The guy has been incredibly dependable; that spell last season was (thankfully) an aberration.

Just now, Yorkie said:

Isak is the most talented since Shearer but it's basically impossible at this point to claim anyone else has contributed more than Wilson. The guy has been incredibly dependable; that spell last season was (thankfully) an aberration.

I'm convinced it was Covid like 

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:
3 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I'm convinced it was Covid like

Could well have been. I suppose there's actually a very important caveat re his dependability, I.e. "when he's on the pitch." Obviously he's actually been the exact opposite of dependable for not-insignificantly long stretches.

1 minute ago, 54 said:

If I had to put it in a list, I'd probably go like this (In my lifetime)

Shearer

Wilson

Cisse

Ba

Isak

Carroll

Remy

Perez

Martins

Rondon

Gayle

Wood

Best

Lovenkrands

Joselu

Riviere

Shearer

Cole

Ferdinand 

Wilson

Isak

Remy

Ba

Carroll

Cisse

Kelly

Rondon

Best

Lovenkrands

Joselu

Wood

Something like that. Obviously Owen doesn't count as he was less a Newcastle player than even Remy was.

1 minute ago, Superior Acuña said:

Would love Michael Owen to see this discussion. 

edit: 

damn KI mentioned him just as I was typing 

I completely forgot about him, but honestly he doesn't even deserve to be on the list :lol:

2 hours ago, Jordan said:

Ba was better for me. I love Wilson but Ba was a different beast. 

I think it's quite close but I think Wilson is better as Ba played most of his games in a far superior team to Wilson. Wilson was basically 1-in-2 in that utterly honking Bruce side and then roughly 1-in-2 since despite being rotated with Isak and playing as sub a fair bit.

A goal every other game (or just shy) in that Bruce side is absolutely ridiculous the more I think about it, we used to create the square root of nowt most weeks, sat back on the 18-yard line. Shows how clinical he is.

On 17/09/2023 at 08:47, Kid Icarus said:

It took him 13 years to do what Ferdinand and Beardsley did in 2-3 years, and Cole did in a year :lol:

There is zero chance that Cole scores 34 goals in a PL season if he was playing today (not helped of course by playing four fewer games).  English football was at its weakest possibly ever in the mid-‘90s in the context of European football.  

18 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

There is zero chance that Cole scores 34 goals in a PL season if he was playing today (not helped of course by playing four fewer games).  English football was at its weakest possibly ever in the mid-‘90s in the context of European football.  

I do miss the 442 formations where there was strike partners with the quality of Beardsley and the wingers only job was to cross the ball !

Would Sellers and Fox (and later Gillespie and Ginola) been able to fit into 433…