Callum Wilson

Strawberry

3 hours ago, Likelylad said:

Gary Neville just said on ITV that Wilson struggles with his back to goal and offers no link up play. Ffs 

Said this before the Spain game. :lol:

And he was on Hodgson's coaching staff. No wonder England were so shit. 

"holding the ball up"?

there's more than one way to play football ffs.

his team are 3rd in the premier league but people are worried because he cant hold the ball up?

fucking bonkers.

Eddie obviously needs to drop him or we're fucked.

Edited by huss9

On 23/11/2022 at 09:51, Joey47 said:

I agree that Wilson isn't on Kane's level when it comes to creating chances or passing range, but I don't understand people that say Wilson isn't good at holding the ball up.

I think he's ridiculously underrated when it comes to his hold up play, I think becuase he's not the tallest of strikers. But he will battle CBs all game and bring balls down and retain possesion. I first realised how good he was at it when he first came to Newcastle as I didn't expect him to be able to bully CBs the way he does. I was then reminded of it when he came back after his injury and Chris Wood was covering for him. You would expect Chris Wood to be better at holding the ball up being that he is a massive lump and a back to goal type of striker, but Wilson is miles ahead of Wood when it comes to actually bringing the ball down, Wood could win headers but they would mostly be flicked on into areas and we would lose possession.

I agree. This came up in the Isak or Wilson thread. He's better at holding it up and linking with others, than Isak & Wood. He's not Harry Kane but he's better at it than he's given credit for.

18 hours ago, Likelylad said:

His lack of actual player insight these days is pretty damning. Considering he’s on Sky every bloody week.

Got to remember his playing days are about 20 years behind him now and the game is very different to when he was around.

Similar to Souness in a way. Can talk a good game if they're describing how it was when they played, but way past the sell by date.

I do admit that i think Souness can talk a lot of sense and be quite insightful on rare occasions, but it makes me throw up a little considering how dire he was as a manager.

1 minute ago, gjohnson said:

Got to remember his playing days are about 20 years behind him now and the game is very different to when he was around.

Similar to Souness in a way. Can talk a good game if they're describing how it was when they played, but way past the sell by date.

I do admit that i think Souness can talk a lot of sense and be quite insightful on rare occasions, but it makes me throw up a little considering how dire he was as a manager.

He was playing in the PL 11 years ago.

Neville himself has said he's more interested in footballing administration these days than the actual football. His takes are bound to be lazy if he's not watching what's in front of him.

4 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

He was playing in the PL 11 years ago.

Neville himself has said he's more interested in footballing administration these days than the actual football. His takes are bound to be lazy if he's not watching what's in front of him.

Neville was still playing in 2011? Thought he retired way earlier....didn't check though!

Yes my bad. Either way its still 11 years and a lot has changed

Edited by gjohnson
accuracy

Dunno why Neville even has a punditry job. He’s said numerous times he doesn’t enjoy watching football anymore and his priorities are elsewhere Salford, the environment, government, etc… 

Carragher always trumps him on debates. Carragher said when he was playing, he’d finish his game with Liverpool, watch the La Liga matches then MOTD. Can’t remember who said it but someone said when they got called up to the England squad, all the Man Utd players were kicking the ball at each other, laughing, just not taking it seriously. G Nev, Butt, and especially Phil Neville were the main culprits. 

Edited by Astroblack

• 2 weeks later...