Callum Wilson: back in full training

Strawberry

I would assume that we probably wouldn't have been able to get a decent replacement with the money that he would've gotten us last summer anyways. Having Isak only all season would obviously be crazy. So, in that case we probably would've had to buy a striker over one of the other players that we bought, but those signings were made for other positions where we were short in numbers. Hall was a loan deal, so I don't think we could've used that money last summer unless it was a loan deal with someone else instead.

Edited by Erikse

56 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Most posts in this thread suggest we should've been ruthless and sold Wilson last summer.. no?

In other threads for other people.... most people are advocating patience.. no?

Others are 31 and injury prone.

Others have just come off the back of a pretty immense 2 years and are in their first little spell. 

We also don't have to sell a manager to help with FFP requirements etc. 

17 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Others are 31 and injury prone.

Others have just come off the back of a pretty immense 2 years and are in their first little spell. 

We also don't have to sell a manager to help with FFP requirements etc. 

Yes, it's all about the prediction of how things will turn out in the longer term - that dictates whether you want to take an action or not. Then reality eventually comes along and supports or demolishes your expectations.

Edited by 80

Wilson is like a group of other players in our squad (Longstaff, Burn, Almiron, Murphy). If after the summer he is ok being downgraded to a squad player then he can still offer a lot.  Wilson is complicated by his injury record, so he would have to accept being 3rd choice and the fact that his wages are likely too high for this role in a team with our revenue.

1 hour ago, Jaqen said:

It hasn't worked out but I'm glad the players who had years of shite and then got us into the champions league had a crack at it. Easy to say Wilson should have been sold but he was coming off the back of a cracking season and was happy to be rotated with Isak which gave us a striker and backup better than the majority in the league too. 

I said exactly this at the end of last season, and at the time it felt right. But those who run the club have to look after the long term interests of the club, not individual players so unpopular decisions will need to be made. Players are absolutely going to look after their own best interests, and the club has to look after NUFC's. That's what people get paid for.

• 1 month later...
32 minutes ago, Kimbo said:

I doubt he plays for us again.

Think it depends on where we finish this season. No europe and we'll probably get rid whilst he still has a bit of value and put it towards his replacement.

No chance he's going anywhere like. He'll be on a good wage here and there's no chance any team matches it for a 32 year old striker who misses more games than he's fit for.

Even less of a chance anyone pays a fee for him. So you may as well keep him for the final year of his contract.

2 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

No chance he's going anywhere like. He'll be on a good wage here and there's no chance any team matches it for a 32 year old striker who misses more games than he's fit for.

Even less of a chance anyone pays a fee for him. So you may as well keep him for the final year of his contract.

I could see a promotion team taking a gamble on him.

2 minutes ago, El Prontonise said:

Unless they offer him 2 years (which would be mental) I don't think he'd go.

Mind, he's probably more shiftable than some of the dross in our side. Hayden here til 2026 ffs.

Edited by Doctor Zaius

8 minutes ago, El Prontonise said:

It's certainly a possibility. Southampton's top scorer is Adam Armstrong for example and there's enough evidence that he can't be relied upon in the PL. I'd suggest Leicester but presumably they're going to be in the shit financially. 

15 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

Wilson won’t sit around as third choice, which is what he’ll end up as if the summer goes to plan.

19 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

This is why his agent will being trying to tout a move. It's his last chance for a good contract, likely to get it this summer whilst he's got a finisher label, a season of being injured again, less minutes and goals, and his worth is even less at 33.

One of those situations, both player and club know what they want, and will try and make it happen if it's there.

8 minutes ago, christ said:

Wilson won’t sit around as third choice, which is what he’ll end up as if the summer goes to plan.

Well he won't have many options unless he's willing to take a pay cut. His age and injury record is a massive obstacle for him moving to any English team that isn't a step down from us. 

He's not going to be first choice for anyone at the minute while he spends half the time in the treatment room. 

Although given Man U's recent transfer absurdity, I could see an Owenesque move for him. 

To be clear I don't think he's anything like Owen

36 minutes ago, El Prontonise said:

Nobody buys our players - that’s just the way it is

2 hours ago, Doctor Zaius said:

He'll leave like doesn't seem the type to sit on his arse and not play. Probably take a pay cut aswell. 

59 minutes ago, andycap said:

He'll leave like doesn't seem the type to sit on his arse and not play. Probably take a pay cut aswell. 

He does exactly that. Ayoooo. 

• 2 weeks later...