Callum Wilson

Strawberry

2 minutes ago, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

I get the lack of service but that was impacted by his poor movement all game. 

He’s static as hell mind. He’s 31 so we can’t expect Craig Bellamy but he’s been so easy to defend against since the WC.

Just now, Ronaldo said:

He’s static as hell mind. He’s 31 so we can’t expect Craig Bellamy but he’s been so easy to defend against since the WC.

That's one of the biggest things I've noticed, aye. Serious lack of movement and anticipation. 

It's amazing how far and how quickly he's regressed tbh. 

Last few performances I'm not sure we'd have noticed the difference if Wood was on. 

Injury or covid, but for whatever reason a switch has flipped and he's shit. I hope he turns it around but not feeling it at the mo. 

2 minutes ago, Cf said:

Last few performances I'm not sure we'd have noticed the difference if Wood was on. 

Injury or covid, but for whatever reason a switch has flipped and he's shit. I hope he turns it around but not feeling it at the mo. 

Not wanting to relitigate, but there's an argument to be made we'd have been better with Wood.

Guest reefatoon

Not a massive fan of Wilson, don’t think he is suited to the lone striker role at all. Hopefully we replace him with an absolute machine in the summer. Really like the look of Isak in the second half playing deeper though, think that looks the perfect role for him. Stick him behind a proper striker next year and we will be laughing.

Think some of these comments are harsh. Wilson relies on service and that has been poor recently.

he isn’t a striker for the big long ball. You can’t say he’s not getting on the end of balls when nothing is being played for him to run onto

2 minutes ago, WilliamPS said:

Think some of these comments are harsh. Wilson relies on service and that has been poor recently.

he isn’t a striker for the big long ball. You can’t say he’s not getting on the end of balls when nothing is being played for him to run onto

I can remember the time when the problem for Owen was 'the service' as well.

I just can't see what Wilson is offering us that isn't provided by Isak, who of course also creates far more for his team mates.

17 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

Agree, I think he’s also lost that nasty streak to his game.

He was fantastic for roughing up defenders when challenging in the air and winning soft fouls to relieve pressure, that edge seems to have largely deserted him this year.

3 hours ago, Ronaldo said:

He’s just a gap in the team at the moment. I don’t really blame him, he’s doing his best but he’s just terrible at holding the ball up and isn’t looking like scoring. Time to give Isak the responsibility and buy someone in summer.

Wilson before the World Cup attacks that Almiron cross at 0-0. Just doesn't seem on it.

5 minutes ago, Cronky said:

I can remember the time when the problem for Owen was 'the service' as well.

I just can't see what Wilson is offering us that isn't provided by Isak, who of course also creates far more for his team mates.

Totally take your point, but I also remember Keegan turning Owen into a useful midfielder. I would like to think there's more benefit we could get out of Wilson than we currently are.

Just now, Barnes23 said:

Feel there is definitely something injury/illness related going on, the drop off has been too steep for someone of his quality and consistency 

I just think he was all about getting to the World Cup. Remember him saying as much after the Villa win. Hasn't shown anything since the restart.

Bad bout of Covid, it might have been the second time he had it within a few months as well. Surely that takes it’s toll on energy levels and fitness.

Can’t be pissed off at him, he’s still obviously trying, but something definitely missing.

If I was Howe I’d consider letting him leave in the summer, 12-15m would be good business.