Callum Wilson

Strawberry

9 hours ago, SiLvOR said:

Think he's done with us, unfortunately. Always liked him, but it's clear that we need a massive upgrade in the summer, and I doubt he'll be happy bring 3rd choice. Hope I'm wrong, but it's not looking likely. Whatever happens, he has to be benched for his own sake for the next game at the very least.

I think if the club want to push on and as there’ll prob alt be a fairly huge window in the summer upgrading the number 9 position will almost certainly need to happen. I agree I’m not sure Wilson would be happy with the backup role so may end up going to a lower prem club for more game time. 

18 hours ago, Smal said:

Howe held Guimaraes and Botman back initially. We have to hope he's getting the Isak call as spot on as he did with those two.

tbh I could understand if Wilson was firing on all cylinders but he's been misfiring for weeks.  Isak on the other looks be chomping at the bit to get his Newcastle career going and he himself will need a run of games before we see the best of him.  Now is the time unless he still isn't fit enough to start.

I wouldn't be too surprised if we saw a kind of 4-4-2 next weekend, I'm not sure Wilson can now play the lone target man and not sure it's Isak's game. Add in we really don't have a midfielder who regularly hits the box well and Joelinton is out. It could allow Bruno to be prompting a bit further forward where Isak likes to drop or pull outside a little and it seems Gordon likes to drop in those little inside passes as well.

Edited by madras

I know Wilson is proven at this level and experienced. So he has plenty of credit in the bank. But he has 1 goal in how many games now?  14? I’ve not checked. But most of those games will have been starts, at a guess? 

I know he is returning from an injury that was a lot worse than first feared and a a couple of games since his return he has been poor. But Isak is lucky if he gets 90 mins over 2 apps and is rarely starting back to back games.

Isak needs a run in the team with or

without Wilson now. Hard to even judge him when he’s in and out the side all the while. 

8 minutes ago, duo said:

Did Wilson recently sign a new contract?

Was widely reported in October that he signed a 2 year extension to put him in line with the top earners at the club, but was never confirmed by the club or Wilson. 

1 hour ago, Ste said:

Was widely reported in October that he signed a 2 year extension to put him in line with the top earners at the club, but was never confirmed by the club or Wilson. 

I remember reading it was basically improved terms, so not an extension. Maybe an option of another year? 

49 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

I remember reading it was basically improved terms, so not an extension. Maybe an option of another year? 

Yes it was this. His contract is still due to end in 2024, presumably his improved terms make it easier for him to earn another year.

2 hours ago, duo said:

tbh I could understand if Wilson was firing on all cylinders but he's been misfiring for weeks.  Isak on the other looks be chomping at the bit to get his Newcastle career going and he himself will need a run of games before we see the best of him.  Now is the time unless he still isn't fit enough to start.

Agreed, I think there’s a little apprehension from Howe to not play Wilson as he’s worked with him for years but he’s now looking like a 31 year old whose struggling after returning from the world cup for whatever reason. 

with miggy on 10 goals and him on 7 I really see why he may be thinking “I’ll give them a bit longer” but for me change it as I won’t judge isak until he’s had a run of a few full games under his belt and he  hasn’t had that yet.

Edited by Gawalls

2 hours ago, Lush Vlad said:

Ornstein had reported it was to be an extension to 2026, with soke coaching responsibilities in the later years

We never did get confirmation, which I hope means his contract only runs until 2024

It may be suggested already, but I think we need Isak AND Wilson starting, even if it means a slight change of system, but Isak doesn't seem to be a 'target man' centre forward, he likes to drift out wide, take people on and create, but then he's usually replacing Wilson and then theres no Wilson in the box. 

I don't know if we bought Isak as a centre forward, but really don't think he's that player, he needs (and plays) a free-er role than that.

Edited by TK-421

If we want easing Isak into PL football then play him as a wide forward earlier in games and get him drifting and exploiting space. Surely for Miggy who’s attacking game isn’t working right now. Or Isak in the middle wirh Maxi and Gordon/Murphy wide. Wilson and Miggy need a break. 

Isak didn't play as a wide forward btw.

He played in a 2. So if we want to ease him in, we should play him in a 2.

He's better starting centrally and drifting wide to find space. Not starting wide. Playing him as a left winegr is like playing Henry as a left winger at Juve. Doesn't get the best out of him.

Get him alongside Wilson with license to roam. Link up with Gordon and ASM when he wants. Swap them around.

I don't expect Howe to start like that though.