Strawberry

My strikers since Shearer list: 

Ba

Wilson

Remy

Cisse

Carroll

Martins 

Ba just edges it for me. I think he was absolutely lethal for that period he was here. Its tight between him and Wilson though, really not much in it. 18 goals is a terrific return.  

4 minutes ago, STM said:

I always thought Remy was more naturally gifted than Ba/Cisse/Wilson, he was more similar to Isak, graceful across the pitch.

His time at the club is largely tainted by the way he arrived and the way he left.

That's not to say he was "better" because you've got to actually produce over a period of time.

I think Ba and Wilson are the most rounded players. Cisse offered too little aside from his goals.

I agree with this. We did finish 5th the year Ba got 16? But he got shunted out to the left wing when Cisse arrived. Honourable mentions to Carroll (6 months before going to Liverpool), Rondon (All round game was decent as a target man). Obafemi Martins ….. 

I think it comes down to personal preference...

Once Wilson career at Newcastle is done, he will be number 1 post Shearer, because of how we will feel about him.

14 minutes ago, aussiemag said:

Do we all agree he is the best striker we’ve had since Shearer? 

I think so.

Mind that run of goals that Cisse got when he first signed was something else when you look back at it. Everybody obviously remembers the two at Chelsea, but you also had:

- Raker into top corner v Villa on debut

- Flying volley v Norwich

- Mad scoop v Swansea

- Great counter-attack v West Brom

Not to mention various other tap-ins and headers. Felt like he could score all types of goals imaginable.

Still nowhere near the overall level of player that Wilson is like.

16 minutes ago, STM said:

I'd also say that for around 6 months Andy Carroll was outrageous.

Pretty much 2010 he was unstoppable.

15 in 21 in Champ/FA Cup. Plus 6 assists.

11 in 20 in PL. Plus 8 assists.

39 goals and assists in 41 games.

Short lived (I thought he was shit first half of Champ season) but was ridiculously good that year.

Edited by ponsaelius

1 minute ago, ponsaelius said:

Pretty much 2010 he was unstoppable.

15 in 21 in Champ/FA Cup. Plus 6 assists.

11 in 20 in PL. Plus 8 assists.

39 goals and assists in 41 games.

He was a beast. Probably the best header in world football at the time and could hit it with his left foot. Bullied defenders as well. 

5 minutes ago, aussiemag said:

He was a beast. Probably the best header in world football at the time and could hit it with his left foot. Bullied defenders as well. 

Surprising pace as well once he got into his stride. It's either the Villa or Mackems game where it was really noticeable.

He had it all other than the durability

Although I tuned out a lot of our seasons in the past 15 years or so in terms of actually caring, I did watch a lot of the highlights. I think Wilson pips Ba into second place simply because he's a great team CF. He does a ton of the dirty work, the rough stuff with defenders, leads the press, fucks with keepers mentally but also finishes brilliantly in all different ways.

My memories of Ba are that he was a tremendous instinctive finisher and a bit of a shining light in a generally poor era. The others mentioned are another notch below but all good in their different ways.

The only positive Leon Best memory I have is the hat trick against West Ham (5-0 was it?) Other than that, all I can remember is miss after miss. Then again, not a lot of positives about Martins either apart from the Spurs rocket, so fair enough @Kid Icarus :lol:

30 minutes ago, SteV said:

I think so.

Mind that run of goals that Cisse got when he first signed was something else when you look back at it. Everybody obviously remembers the two at Chelsea, but you also had:

- Raker into top corner v Villa on debut

- Flying volley v Norwich

- Mad scoop v Swansea

- Great counter-attack v West Brom

Not to mention various other tap-ins and headers. Felt like he could score all types of goals imaginable.

Still nowhere near the overall level of player that Wilson is like.

Both of his goals against Chelsea was incredible.

On another note, Wilson has 1 goal every 100th minute on the pitch! That average is only beaten by Haaland (every 74th minute) amongst the top 25 goalscorers in the PL this season! Insane.

Edited by Erikse

17 minutes ago, SiLvOR said:

The only positive Leon Best memory I have is the hat trick against West Ham (5-0 was it?) Other than that, all I can remember is miss after miss. Then again, not a lot of positives about Martins either apart from the Spurs rocket, so fair enough @Kid Icarus :lol:

I ended up really liking him. Reliable in his first season in the PL and then, somehow good again when called upon the following season, despite us having better players and going for 5th (see also Danny Guthrie). Martin's best form for us was pre-Ashley really so that's why he's not higher, but he wasn't a particularly clever player like, I think he spent most of his career looking raw. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

38 minutes ago, SiLvOR said:

1 goal and 1 assist in the 4-4 game against Arsenal. Also had a goal disallowed that should've stood. He was in pretty good form at the time. I think he scored more hat tricks than just that one.

Edited by Erikse

13 minutes ago, Erikse said:

1 goal and 1 assist in the 4-4 game against Arsenal

Good grief, I've had a howler. For the life of me, couldn't remember him scoring in that game!

On best strikers, the question partly depends on if you're just talking about match by match talent or overall contribution to the club. Ba was fantastic but Wilson's been here leading the line through initially bad and now exceptionally good times for quite a while now.

1 hour ago, Kid Icarus said:

I ended up really liking him. Reliable in his first season in the PL and then, somehow good again when called upon the following season, despite us having better players and going for 5th (see also Danny Guthrie). Martin's best form for us was pre-Ashley really so that's why he's not higher, but he wasn't a particularly clever player like, I think he spent most of his career looking raw. 

Martins will be old enough to play walking football now.