Callum Wilson

Strawberry

5 minutes ago, Joseph said:

We’re not in FFP (or P+S) poverty. FFP rules are incredibly lax (and enforcement even more lax) and we have huge room to manoeuvre given the relative lack of outlay in the past few years.

Everton spent £35m on a midfielder a couple of weeks ago and no one batted an eyelid, despite their insane level of spending in previous seasons. 

FFP is a comforting smokescreen; the idea that we’re the one club in history uniquely limited by it is absurd. 

A smokescreen for what??

From the outside looking in, it seemed as through we were incredibly slow moving on from Ekitike. 

Would Watford have been more receptive to negotiations for Pedro before the season kicked off and losing Dennis? We can’t know for sure, but equally don’t see how it could have helped moving for him relatively late in the window.

As much as I have been pleased with the performances and results so far this season, it’s really strange that we’re again in a scenario where Wood is our only fit option for an undetermined period of time.

Apparently there was a lot of discussion on if to bring in a lead number 9 this summer ahead of Wilson, but due to how strongly he ended the season, they opted to go for a young backup.

If he is injured badly, it might cause them to reverse that decision now. In which case they perhaps opt out of the Pedro deal to go and get an immediate starting striker instead.

Possible reason the Pedro deal is on hold for now?

4 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Apparently there was a lot of discussion on if to bring in a lead number 9 this summer ahead of Wilson, but due to how strongly he ended the season, they opted to go for a young backup.

If he is injured badly, it might cause them to reverse that decision now. In which case they perhaps opt out of the Pedro deal to go and get an immediate starting striker instead.

Possible reason the Pedro deal is on hold for now?

That would have been really naive on their part if they thought he was suddenly going to have a problem free season considering his fitness record since he's been here. In which case this hamstring tweak could be a blessing in disguise.

22 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

It was matter of time before he got injured, but 2 and a half games man :lol:

If we don't sign the players that we knew we needed since last season ended we deserve everything we get. 8(?) days to sort it. 

Hopefully it's something they've been monitoring since the beginning of pre-season, which has allowed them to get ahead of any long term problems.

20 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

It was matter of time before he got injured, but 2 and a half games man :lol:

If we don't sign the players that we knew we needed since last season ended we deserve everything we get. 8(?) days to sort it. 

Deserve everything we get is a bit dramatic like. We've signed over half a team in less than 9 months. One of them has turned out to be shite

Ffp is obviously holding us back so we can hardly just go and throw 100 million to sign a couple like isak and maddison which I'm sure they'd love to do

Like I've said at the start of the window, having Wilson (and to a lesser extent ASM) makes it harder to make the right signings.

You could argue we should have gone for a £75m striker to upgrade on Wilson regardless, but I can see why the club might have decided to delay that for a year or so. So if you do that, finding a backup that's good enough and willing to come is going to be pretty tricky. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

32 minutes ago, Joseph said:

We’re not in FFP (or P+S) poverty. FFP rules are incredibly lax (and enforcement even more lax) and we have huge room to manoeuvre given the relative lack of outlay in the past few years.

Everton spent £35m on a midfielder a couple of weeks ago and no one batted an eyelid, despite their insane level of spending in previous seasons. 

FFP is a comforting smokescreen; the idea that we’re the one club in history uniquely limited by it is absurd. 

They have just received £60m from one sale, mind.

9 minutes ago, TRon said:

That would have been really naive on their part if they thought he was suddenly going to have a problem free season considering his fitness record since he's been here. In which case this hamstring tweak could be a blessing in disguise.

Well ... they were still going to bring in a quality youngster as cover to go with Wood, who despite what we all think, I doubt the manager has completely written off.

However if the scan comes back as being a long term injury like Shelvey's and not just a week's rest or something, then it may well be wiser to go and get a lead number 9 instead. 

Edited by KaKa

8 minutes ago, jack j said:

Deserve everything we get is a bit dramatic like. We've signed over half a team in less than 9 months. One of them has turned out to be shite

Ffp is obviously holding us back so we can hardly just go and throw 100 million to sign a couple like isak and maddison which I'm sure they'd love to do

We can. It’s just a risky strategy.

5 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Well ... they were still going to bring in a quality youngster as cover to go with Wood, who despite what we all think, I doubt the manager has completely written off.

However if the scan comes back as being a long term injury like Shelvey's and not just a week's rest or something, then it may well be wiser to go and get a lead number 9 instead. 

Not sure we have the finances to go out and get a lead number 9 now tbh. When the likes of Pedro are going for 30 then a proven player is likely to cost double.

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

Not sure we have the finances to go out and get a lead number 9 now tbh. When the likes of Pedro are going for 30 then a proven player is likely to cost double.

And the premium for taking a brilliant player away from his club at the 11th hour.

Think we just have to stick with the strategy now, and hope Wilson doesn't miss too much.

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Going to be pretty difficult to change transfer strategy now. If we decided not to break the bank on a main striker now, I think we’ll just have to live with that. 

I'm fine with whatever approach really.

I imagine a ton of work has gone into a bunch of players for now and the future, and so they may well explore some of the more first team ready options to see what's possible if Wilson's injury is bad.

This is why I wasn't getting over excited about prospects of finishing top 7, because we don't have the strength in depth to cope with Injuries. Our back up options are not good enough, especially striker wise. We knew he wouldn't stay fit and we still haven't got anyone in :lol:

Edited by Klaus

Interesting whether Wilson being out now or out later really makes that much difference to the plan.

If the theory is that he will miss 30-40% of the games, so we need someone to be able to step in, it might not matter whether they step in now or later. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

1 minute ago, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

Seems a huge strategic error to be banking on Wilson to stay fit for most of the season. I can’t believe our board and Ashworth are that naive.

You lot keep assuming they are viewing Chris Wood as a complete dead weight like we are. They're not.

3 minutes ago, KaKa said:

You lot keep assuming they are viewing Chris Wood as a complete dead weight like we are. They're not.

They kind of where until Wilson finished the season strongly. The athletic reported that before that a striker was priority but Wilson’s form led them to a rethink.